ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Personalised Plates

Anyone know anything about transfering plates? i wanna take mine off my car when i sell it and put a regular reg on it, but i dont want the personalised one to go on my new car for a while (wanna show off the 04 reg!)

Can anyone help?!

Tappd'd RS

youre best bet is to contact your local dvla office, they tell you what to do and how much to pay! ;)

I think you can pay £25 to keep a cherished plate on retention for a year.

You will need to complete a V778/1 - Retention of a Vehicle Registration Number application form. Application forms can be obtained from DVLA’s network of local offices. The cost to retain a registration number is £105. Youll then be able to transfer it when you want to your new car. (this includes the £80 fee to transfer to the new car)

R

Cheers chaps - £105s a bit steep! ahh well itll be nothing compared to the £7k ive got to fork out in 6 weeks! :eek:

It just disappears - i think DVLA have it back! i still have the plates for my old one so it would be nice of them to give me the old reg back so i dont hav to make new plates up!

I *think* that if your old number hasnt been reallocated then you get it back automatically when you take your private plate off the car. Otherwise itll just be a random plate from the same year as your original.

when i had my private plate on the car, i got the cars original reg back when i transfred it, (twice)

i just said it was etched in the glass of the car, and ppl would wonder why it wouldnt match it they issued me a new one.

Leon TDI

I have a personal plate on my MK1 172, which im trading in this weekend.

I aksed the dealer what happens when i trade the car in, he told me that he will fill in all the paperwork for me when we exchange cars. The dealer implied this was no problem and easily done.

There is an £80 fee involved due to the DVLA registration process.

its £80 to transfer the private plate to the car you want to put it, and 25.00 a year to leave it on retention, so you still have the right to the plate, but its not on a car.

so i guess u would pay 105.00 as rocko posted up earlier.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 20 January 2004

Not exactly on topic, but what happens to your old reg when you get a private plate?
The original number is retained by the DVLA for that same car and if you sell the car and transfer your personal number to your new car, the original number will go back on your old car. Ive done it a few times which is how I know!!:)

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 20 January 2004

Not exactly on topic, but what happens to your old reg when you get a private plate?
The original number is retained by the DVLA for that same car and if you sell the car and transfer your personal number to your new car, the original number will go back on your old car. Ive done it a few times which is how I know!!:)
Not always, i know a friends dad who swapped plates back to its origonal and the DVLA had sold it on and issued him a different one back!

It was also a two digit plate eg R78 ***... one he got back was R746 ***

When do i have to send off the forms etc? i am selling my car in 6 weeks - is it worth doing now? i know the DVLA were pretty slow in 1st doing it!

Be wary of the dealer handling it all. When buying my new Clio they said they would do all the paperwork for me, sounding like they knew what they were doing........ nearly 3 and a hlaf weeks later I got the car cos the dealer messed up the transfer twice :mad:

It is quite an easy process, and if you complete the paperwork correctly first time youre looking at about a week for the transfer to go through. As youre putting it on retention id do it now as it takes a total of 2 weeks from start to finish to get the logbook back.

Also keeps the neighbours on the lookout for your new car!!

320d M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 20 January 2004

GR,

Do u not also pay to have your old reg stuck on the car then? Just the £105 to keep your private reg?

sorry, am bit confused!

You only have to pay £105. Thats it. My old reg got put back on, i need to put my private one on the 172 just cant be bothered yet!!!