ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

petrol debate 95 0r 97?

Arctic blue 182
Tom said:
The way i see it your setting fire to cash regardless so use the cheaper currency to burn.

True, there are lots of ways to save money on motoring if economy is more important to you than performance. Drive a 1 litre or a diesel, short-shift and accelerate gently to save fuel. But this is a cliosport forum and I say we should all hoon around in 3rd gear in 182s and V6s burning Optimax like there's no tomorrow!!

Dave

Arctic blue 182
Dave@Rentech said:
my brothers clio runs better on tesco 99 but dont really notice to much between normal and optimax

I wouldn't buy a fender stratocaster from argos and I won't buy a performance fuel from a greengrocer.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
2-4bhp (if that) is hardly a worthwhile gain.

its near crazy to suggest a car with optimax would be faster in real world situations.

And if argos sold the fender why wouldnt you?
I buy my car insurance from a pachyderm!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I dont think they have hospitals for victims of marketing., not yet anyway.

Arctic blue 182
Tom said:
And if argos sold the fender why wouldnt you?
I buy my car insurance from a pachyderm!!

Because Argos know nothing about guitars and tesco know nothing about fuel. So if I want a warped fretboard and crap intonation I'll buy a guitar from Argos, and if I want to buy a fuel from someone with no understanding of fuels science I'll fill up at a supermarket. And while I'm at it I'll buy a can of their own brand cola instead of coke to save myself a few more pence.

How many F1 teams go to tesco to develop their fuels? Touring car teams? Rally? MotoGP? Anyone at all? Come to think of it where is tescos facility where they spend millions on R&D to formulate their performance petrol? Behind the bread counter??? Would you use their olive oil to lubricate your engine?

Sorry for the confrontational tone but I love my 182, and I wouldn't even buy screenwash at a supermarket.

Black/Gold 182
I'm also a chemical engineer and I haven't really noticed any performance or economy benefits with Optimax vs 95 or Tesco 99, although I do use Optimax if I get the chance as I too have read about the long term benefits to the engine.

Also, I don't really understand these comments that you need to give the ECU a couple of days to "get used" to a fuel change, doesn't it recalculate 1000s of times per minute like a normal computer chip?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Tom said:
Wish there was a way to actually prove what your saying is correct.

I've never run out of fuel on a track day, and I normally get home as well, but in 3 days at Goodwood over 3 weekends, the one weekend I ran Tesco 99, I ran out on track (stuttered and coasted) mid afternoon. Read 11.7 mpg compared with 14.2 and 16.8 (rain all that day).

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'm an advanced driving instructor as well as a track addict, and practice what I preach. My daily runs are consistant, smooth, and I cover 350 miles per week, so I'm probably about the best guage you'll get for a fair comparison ;)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
davebigfoot said:
Sorry for the confrontational tone but I love my 182, and I wouldn't even buy screenwash at a supermarket.

Do you buy all your food at M&S too?

Personally dont like wasteing all my money on petrol... and there isnt an optimax garage within 20 miles of me, so i fill up when i need to, wherever i am

Yeah so the car might not run AS well... but i still enjoy it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
MarkCup said:
I've never run out of fuel on a track day, and I normally get home as well, but in 3 days at Goodwood over 3 weekends, the one weekend I ran Tesco 99, I ran out on track (stuttered and coasted) mid afternoon. Read 11.7 mpg compared with 14.2 and 16.8 (rain all that day).

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'm an advanced driving instructor as well as a track addict, and practice what I preach. My daily runs are consistant, smooth, and I cover 350 miles per week, so I'm probably about the best guage you'll get for a fair comparison ;)

I hear what your saying, but your not saying anything i consider to be a decent argument for spending 5p extra litre.

Tesco 99 is the exception to the rule, my car runs badly on it but at least i can feel a difference with that fuel, unlike the others mentioned.

Arctic blue 182
Revels106 said:
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwnnnn!

The placebo effect is a wonderful thing!

So why do you think Renault recommend 98 RON for the clio sport? See the Elf sticker in the back window of every clio sport? Renault and TotalFinaElf have a long established partnership.... but Total don't have a 98 RON petrol. How thrilled renault's partner must be with that bit of team play. Still, I'm sure renault had no good reason for doing it, eh?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
davebigfoot said:
So why do you think Renault recommend 98 RON for the clio sport? See the Elf sticker in the back window of every clio sport? Renault and TotalFinaElf have a long established partnership.... but Total don't have a 98 RON petrol. How thrilled renault's partner must be with that bit of team play. Still, I'm sure renault had no good reason for doing it, eh?

Well if your so "passionate about driving" then why use optimax?
Why not use Elf BFK-07 race fuel?

Arctic blue 182
Bubbles said:
The elf sticker is in 1.2s and diesels and everything :)

Very true - they are extremely close corporate buddies. But the 98 RON recommended sticker is only in the sport models.

MINI JCW
Optimax for me, recently I have tried a tank of Tesco 99 ron. doing similar driving I have got about 4-5mpg less than usual! anyone else had this?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
gazcaddy said:
Optimax for me, recently I have tried a tank of Tesco 99 ron. doing similar driving I have got about 4-5mpg less than usual! anyone else had this?

182's dont like Tesco value rocket fuel. Mine cant seem to adjust to it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
JBarber said:
I'm also a chemical engineer and I haven't really noticed any performance or economy benefits with Optimax vs 95 or Tesco 99, although I do use Optimax if I get the chance as I too have read about the long term benefits to the engine.

Also, I don't really understand these comments that you need to give the ECU a couple of days to "get used" to a fuel change, doesn't it recalculate 1000s of times per minute like a normal computer chip?

It's called a knock sensor, and it takes a tank or two for the ECU to adjust the fueling to suit the grade of fuel be it for more or less performance. Mixing two fuels in a tank does nothing bad. If you mix 96 with 98 octane you will in essence acheive 97 octane.

BTW, Clios don't have knock sensors and I bet none of you could tell whether your cars were running Shell 95 or Shell 98 performance wise. However if it saves you 5mpg it might work out to be worth it in the long run.

Lionel Richie
day to day, run normal 95

on track splash out and go for optimax

your engine WILL NOT blow up if you run 95 (i get more miles out of the V6 on 95 for some reason!!)

Black/Gold 182
cliokhunt said:
It's called a knock sensor, and it takes a tank or two for the ECU to adjust the fueling to suit the grade of fuel be it for more or less performance. Mixing two fuels in a tank does nothing bad. If you mix 96 with 98 octane you will in essence acheive 97 octane.

My point is why does it take "a tank or two"? Surely the sensors/ECU thingies are sampling/adjusting hundreds or thousands of times per second (normal processor clock speeds are in MHz), so it should adapt pretty quickly.

Leon Cupra 300
^^^ i wanna know too

the only thing i can imagine (even though its not really to do with the ecu etc) is if you put your 1st tank of optimax in it its still going to have some of whatever is in befor it and therefore diluted, on your 2nd and 3rd tank of optimax or whatever its going to be less and less diluted and more pure optimax and thats when youll see the benifits.

does that make sense?

Ziel Nurburgring
Do the European renaultsports get a 98ron only sticker or is it shell employee sat at the docks sticking them on as they roll off the ferry?

Optimax all day long, nothings to good for the Donkeh.

cliokhunt said:

BTW, Clios don't have knock sensors and I bet none of you could tell whether your cars were running Shell 95 or Shell 98 performance wise. However if it saves you 5mpg it might work out to be worth it in the long run.

Clios dont have knock sensors?

I'm pretty sure the big fat brown knock sensor at the front of the block will disagree.