ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Peugeot 306 Rallye - not that quick(!)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by teady172 on 13 February 2003

Eric, that the same on most 6 gear cars!
Not in the 306.

Book speed is 140mph for starters...

Also, 6th is not a high gear in this case, look at what a 172 revs at when doing 120mph in 5th, its similar to the 306s 6th gear.

They will pull easily in 6th and much faster that 122mph!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jonto on 13 February 2003

6th gear is a lot taller, more a cruising gear, but even like this it enables you to bunch up the lower 5 gears !
No its not...

Well, not in this case anyway.

Compare speed & revs to a 172 and youll see 6th is similar to 5th, as this is not just a 5 speed box with an extra ratio stuck on top!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Eric 16v on 13 February 2003

I dont get it!

So do you go 6th then 5th!?!

:confused:

Eh?!

You go to 6th after 5th mate, just like going from 4th to 5th in a 5 speed car.

Just that in this case the 6 ratios are different to your usual 5 speed close-ratio box, with 1st & 2nd being long, with 3rd & 4th more "normal", then 5th & 6th closer together.

In the 306 the 6th gear aint much taller than 5th in some cars and in fact many cars have a taller 5th than my 6th gear.

Its all a bit odd...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I dont quite agree with those Autocar in-gear figures...

Did a couple of tests this morning and got different readings. Gonna do them all properly and let you know what I get.

For example, there is no way I can hit 67mph in 2nd!

Also gonna get my mate to borrow the GPS kit from work and see how accurate the speedo is too, so we will know for sure.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 14 February 2003

i heard 6th was override and 5th is where youd get top speed out of the pug? Or have i been wrongly informed?
Wrongly informed Im afraid mate...

The 6th gear in the 306 is not as long as youd think and I was suprised how close the gearing was.

It will pull strongly at motorway cruising speeds in 6th gear and keep on pulling!

Once you get above 4500rpm and it comes on cam, then it really picks up! ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ok, I did some in gear speed tests and the results are...

1st - 42mph (Autocar - 43mph)
2nd - 64mph (Autocar - 67mph)
3rd - 85mph (Autocar - 88mph)
4th - 109mph (Autocar - 108mph)
5th - ?
6th - ?

(Had no room to do 5th & 6th, so Ill have to try them another time)

Dunno how the Autocar peeps got the speeds they did, as I tried all these several times and I could not match theirs in the first 3 gears (slower), but 4th is pretty close. I know that I have seen almost 130mph in 5th, but need to take it to the limiter to see exactly how fast it is. Never wound it right up in 6th (yet) though.

Its the 6th gear one, (122mph @ 6035rpm) that I really dont think is correct on my car though, but well soon see...