ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH 1 172 revving on its own

K20 EG Hatch
Right, my phase grim 172 has started doing this. Had a search and a fair few people have had this problem so I've followed some of the stuff they've done but still the same.

Once the engine has warmed it will stick at 2kish or more almost everytime I press the clutch in and not drop back down unless I blip the throttle or put my toes under the pedal and pull it up.

I've had the throttle body off and give it a damn good clean as well as sanding the inside down with wet and dry and took the butterfly out and cleaned it up too. Cleaned it all with carb cleaner and re-assembled it. Still the same :(

I've also changed the throttle position sensor and still the same. The cable is perfectly free and the butterfly doesn't stick at all, really free.

Any ideas?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
mine did this for a bit. seems to have fixed itself. i assumed it was the common ph1 fault of sticky throttle cable.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
mine did this, then over time it got worse and would rev by its self,

idle control valve £70 :(

53 Clio's & counting
Have you followed my guide mate? Cleaning out wont help if you dont re-oil the moving parts, have a look at my guide, if that doesnt solve it then id look at the ICV

CLIO PH1 172
Mine was doin exactly this I changed the ICV (£25 off ebay) and its solved it (so far) fitted it last week car seems to idle perfectly now before it owuld be splutry and rev unevenly but now sits perfect with none of this

Megane dci 130
Its the spring in the tb you can try cleaning it but imo the only way to fix it is to buy a new one.

Or you can do a ghetto fix like me and a few others on here....(see spring in picture)

DSCN0755.jpg

K20 EG Hatch
I did re oil the spring, pretty well too. Like I said it seems to spring back really well with nothing stopping it at all. Infact it's quite hard to hold it open!

I didn't put a new gasket on. Mate of mine does seem to think it could be an air leak.

I'm gonna try cleaning all the old gasket off and stick a new one on and also re oil it. How much is the spring from Renault and anyone have any part numbers?

If all else fails I'll investigate the icv, is there a guide on changing it?

Thanks people.

CLIO PH1 172
Don't think there is a guide but its pritty simple I changed it the other day so I could make a pritty simple guide tomorrow - probly be handy to have one on the forum anyway if there's not already

CLIO PH1 172
Pull pipes off, disconnect plug, couple of 10mm's and the ICV will come off the plenum, nice easy swap.

U will have to drill the old one out to get it off I then just attached the new one with a couple of small nutts n bolts job done!

clio 172
i got the same problem the car is ok when its cold but when its hot it revs to 2ooo rpm put ur foot under the pedle it oks backj to tick over

53 Clio's & counting
Its the spring in the tb you can try cleaning it but imo the only way to fix it is to buy a new one.

Or you can do a ghetto fix like me and a few others on here....(see spring in picture)

DSCN0755.jpg

iv done 4 t/b's now all with the idle problem, all fixed once i did my guide mate, its the butterfly getting stuck that causes it, and cleaning them out then lubing the spring does nothing, you need to lube the spindle too, or put a stronger spring on as you have done which forces it shut

CLIO PH1 172
Drill what out? No need to drill anything to replace an ICV.

Maybe if you buy it from renault you get the complete unit but that part I got from ebay I needed to drill the original one out .. I'll post a picture tomorrow when I'm on a pc to show I'm not mad lol

53 Clio's & counting
Thats the ICV mate yes, but the one you bought is only the sensor part, and as you have said you need to drill out the rivets, if you buy one new or 2nd hand it comes with the union to bolt it to the inlet mani

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What are you re-oiling with mate?

I found that taking mine off, wd40'ing it etc, loads of the stuff, it'd be fine for a day/a week/sometimes only an hour or so...

Bought some silicone spray (supposed to pretty much never dry out) and it solved the problem, my issue was the wd40 was getting hot and pissing off, worth a try, take it off, oil it up/clean it out, put it back on, then...

Get a mate in the car to pump the throttle and then spray the crap out of the moving spring etc.

53 Clio's & counting
Dont use WD40, thats the problem, you need decent lube, i found chain oil is pretty good, i think i might start a service to sort these t/b's out

CLIO PH1 172
i was going to say a grease would probably be better (longer lasting) although it may be to thick ?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Silicone spray I tell theee, it's working a treat on mine, I've got a big tin if you want to try it Ad? Makes the throttle feel better/ looser almost instantly.

CLIO PH1 172
iv solved my problem i think, i just gave it a good clean out ages ago and its been fine and now iv changed the ICV its even better :D thanks though rob

K20 EG Hatch
Sorted it tonight I think :D

I think the problem with mine was the gasket between the TB and inlet. Removed it again and re-oiled the moving parts on the TB.

Then I completely scraped all the old shitty gasket off and put some new gasket sealent on and it's now bang on :D Idles perfectly every time and hasn't stuck once so far. Touch wood it's sorted.

Thanks for all the replys people. I think my problem was it just letting air in between the TB and inlet.

53 Clio's & counting
Hope so mate, if it comes back, check my guide out and follow it, make sure you use decent oil to lube all moving parts, including spindle

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Glad it worked out for ya... I got to change the gasket on mine too :( defo air leak you can hear it