This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Folks need to know about how the speedo works, the speedo sensor is on the gearbox so I need to know how it works from inside the box to the dials to help diagnose a problem.
Bump, problem Im having it seems somethings coming loose.
If I drive the car gently the speedo seems fine, but if I put my foot down it goes haywire wildly moving up and down, or if I go above 80 it starts waggling about.
Just been testing it again and I heavily put my foot down and it dropped to 0 for a few seconds then came back to life.
Now one of my mounts is shagged so the engines moving about more than normal so it seems like its loosing connection with the sensor?
IIRC the connections to the dash are multiplexed so it is not going to be at the dash end. Try the dash trick (hold in trip computer stalk button whilst turning on ignition) anyway to make sure the speedo is ok.
To me it seems like a loose connection but I wanna know how it actually works.
I know its on the box but its not been right since the box was rebuilt, it worked then died off the first time I had the car back but only drove it back to my house then it went back.
Now its working most of the time its only when I really push the engine that it flakes out.
Examples
If I go above 80 driving smoothly gently accelerating it starts jumping around waving 10mph each way
Then I was coming off a roundabout in 2nd, gave it some beans and rose up to 60mph as normal then shot upto over 100, then back down.
If I put stress on the engine the whole engines gonna move about and that when it plays up so Im thinking its gotta be coming loose?
Guys is this my speedo sensor? With the earth out of view and just to the right of it?
My speedo totally crapped out today so I unplugged this, jiggled it all about, went for another drive and about a min into the drive it started to work again.
Can you buy the connectors anywhere? That bit connects to the sensor?
Is it easy to replace the whole sensor?
The earth seems a bit loose but not enough to cause this but I might take it off and give the surfaces a rub with some wet & dry.