ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 fast road/track toy

BG 182
Ok Gents here we go again.

You may remember my last project

Impreza Type R – Unfortunately I sold this on as it had too much money in it and im getting married in August, say no more!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?668786-Project-Impreza-type-r

Before that
High mileage Clio 172 Cup – sold it as I was offered a good price. I regret it and my friend crashed it within a week and it now RIP’s. It need far too much work doing to it, Dephaser and belts, Paint was horrific.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?610579-project-155K-172-cup

Onto the Clio’s, it’s a long story so bare with me….
Browsing ebay knowing I didn’t really have much to spend but knowing I wanted a toy, I came across a light front ended Phase 1 172 for good money (or so I thought), 10 miles away with little mot and tax, a deal was done for Sub £350 minus the 17 inch wheels. I put a rather rushed deposit on it, sourced a set of wheels and a few days later brought it home. However, it wasn’t without its problems!

858c09b6-1e84-4b17-a402-13fbf3186122_zps22177f77.jpg

e639e35c-43f8-49f4-9f2b-64abbdcde22f_zpsb9b5e7c8.jpg

845d9d50-d8b7-46c6-b80d-45fc29f5c353_zpsb4902cd8.jpg

3c72797a-c976-4796-82a4-5804f208643a_zpsa749829d.jpg

After about 5 hours of ownership I had stripped the front end down my findings where:
slam panel was very slightly bent and needed pulling straight
needed a bumper
both headlight brackets where damaged
wing was slightly damaged
it didn’t idle
the rear quarter once wiped clean revealed 2 different colours
I didn’t think I would be too bothered but HPI’d it and found out it was a previous Cat C previous to this little shunt.

This is as far as I got so had a cuppa tea and a chat with my understanding missus and decided that although my thoughts where to spend money over time and fix it up im really not that skint and putting money into this car will leave me with a Cat C car with no history, and by the time the belts and dephaser where done, it had some paint and parts, it would owe me over £1000.

This made no sense to me, so knowing it was still live on ebay I contacted the guy I bought it off and said would he mind letting the auction run as im really not sure I want to keep the car. If it sells then forward the buyer onto me. Anyway the next day I got a call to say the car had sold and could the buyer pick the car up the following weekend. I spoke with the new buyer and explained the whole situation, It turns out he wanted it for the engine to put in his Renault 5, so he got a bargain, I made £80 and he took it away last week.

BG 182
​The best thing about this week was the wheels I picked up for it – 16 inch super leggeras with tyres and centre caps, for a whopping £90, 2 mins from my house via facebook.

83c817fe-96a8-4602-bb74-15797be672be_zps349e60c0.jpg

Whilst this was all going on I contacted Adam on here about his semi stripped 172 project, This is now where the project begins.

Spotted on here - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?698623-Ph1-clio-172-for-spares-repairs-103k-**%A3300**

And the project thread - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?463722-Adams-ph1-172&highlight=Adams+ph1+clio

I spoke with Adam about the car, its history, all the parts I would need to get it back on the road and what was included, and being happy that it wasn’t too much, I very quickly secured this with a deposit and went up to Adams dad workplace where the car is stored to start putting it back together. I was very keen on this as it clearly had lots spent on it, with a very good service history to back it up.

The main thing was the engine had belts and dephaser done and the shell was straight. The rest I was going to modify/refresh/upgrade anyway.

So whilst waiting to get time off work to go up to the car I needed some parts.

I sourced the following locally:
Rear Phase 2 bumper – (not sure im going to use this but it was cheap)
Weitec Coilovers
Top inlet
2 x coilpacks and leads
Rear axle bolts

When I got up to Adams dads place I was greeted with all the bits as described, however it was a nut and bolt nightmare. There must have been 100+ nuts and bolts (not all clio) to sift through.

What needed doing was:
Front suspension incl wishbones and ARB bolting to the car
Rear dampers and springs fitting
Rear axle bolts fitting

After 5 hours I was done as far as I could, I found I needed rear damper nuts, Wishbone bush, front top mount top hats and a steering wheel. Then it could be put on 4 wheels and moved. I’ve not got it running, and I haven’t tried, but it only needed top inlet and coil fitting and it should go.

This is how it is today and im due to go back up there next Friday to finish the rest off.

photo1_zps75176cb2.jpg

photo2_zpsb3c83f83.jpg

BG 182
​Today I went to a scrap yard and picked up the following:

2 x phase 2 rear lights
the various nuts and bolts and top mount bits
and steering wheel and boss

I have an engine mount and 2 rear callipers on the way to me.

I spent another 2 hours on the car but didn’t really make great progress, just tidied up all the parts, fitted the engine mount and all that was left was fitting of the wishbone, which hadn’t turned up.

3 weeks has past and with my stag do to Ibiza in between I finally went up to Adams place, fitted the wishbone, loaded it onto a recovery truck and got it home. This was 2 days ago. My missus asked why I had bought 1/3 of car but didn’t really batter an eyelid as long as it looked like a car by the end of the day.

It had no bumpers bonnet or grill fitted so I had to get it done as to keep the neighbours happy.

I had a couple of deliveries come through as well, sourced the turinis locally and Stu sorted me the 2118’s. Plans where to refurbish all the wheels I have, but now im thinking just keep it on 2118’s daily and sell the other 2 sets.

photo_zps412eccd7.jpg

By the end of day 1 of it being home I had roughly fitted the front and rear bumper, This also gave me a good idea of exactly how it would sit at the rear with the weitec springs, I knew I wasn’t going to be overly happy but I have some FK springs in the post at the moment which will go down the extra 10-15mm which I want.

photo1_zpsa4463ed6.jpg

photo2_zps0ddab7e6.jpg

photo3_zps7c7e9309.jpg

I had to cover the bonnet over night as my bonnet was sat in a friend’s garage 30 miles away.

The following day my man dropped of my carbon bonnet, which I won on ebay 3 weeks ago. Im not 100% keen on it so it may be wet sanded, polished and sold on when the rest of the car is complete. Its currently just keeping my engine dry!

photo1-1_zps51c313ef.jpg

photo2-1_zps8488e67a.jpg

photo3-1_zpsa5838c8c.jpg

Ive got a small list of nuts bolts and clips to source next week:

Headlight clip and screw
Rear bumper screws
Front bumper requires all screws clips and bolts
Rear axle bolts x 2 as they are fitted but 30mm too long with large spacers fitted as washers currently
Ok so the above list has been sourced, along with nuts bolts and washers to bolt the rear spring adjusters to the rear axle. I had to get my brother to machine some washers for me.

BG 182
​So the rear bumper is now fully installed, the headlight clips/screws are now sourced but ive not fitted my grille as I want to do some wet sanding this weekend.

Also fitted my Phase 2 rear lights – not wired in yet but just needed to clear space and old parts.

IMG_3046_zpsde257ce4.jpg

As my missus has gone away this week I have had a couple of spare evenings this week to do as I please. Firstly I removed all the tools and parts/ spare parts from the car and put all parts which require fitting back in the car so I know what I need to do/fit.

So I setup my working lights and worked last night until approx 11pm – discovered I need some rear calliper bolts before I can get the last side fitted. So they’re on the ‘new’ list now!

IMG_3048_zps59078502.jpg

IMG_3047_zpsadb6c59d.jpg

In that time I got my new FK springs fitted as I wasn’t happy with the weitecs

IMG_3052_zpsa9dc75af.jpg

IMG_3049_zps9405b97c.jpg

IMG_3051_zpsb2f23193.jpg

Suffice to say I am over the moon; I can go lower or higher now, the weitecs where as low as they could go

Weitecs
photo3_zps7c7e9309.jpg

FK
IMG_3052_zpsa9dc75af.jpg

BG 182
Unfortunately this has been broken, a 182 came along that I just couldn't refuse and space issues has led me I break this. Some of the parts will live on. Shame is it was really tidy.

Was just about to post you had a good'un there.

Seen it out a few times when Adam had it. Had a lovely exhaust as well.