ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172 mystery pipe

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
wheres it go;

car failed last september - run tonight no water leaks but havn't connected up all the air system yet but a bit confused over the pipe?

Save me having to crawl over the engine if someone would tell me where to look.

Attachments

• March09 089.jpg
    March09 089.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 45

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Hose that comes out of the water bottle IIRC..

Its similar but thats fitted as is the pipe that goes below the thermostat. I ran the car for 2 mins and didnt get any water coming out anywhere?

Lots of Alfas
Its the pipe that goes from the top of the thermostat to the top position on the coolant bottle.

IMG_1905-1.jpg

Lots of Alfas
I think hey must be connected up wrong somehow, does it still go to the top coolant bottle??

It should be setout like this:

coolantpipes.jpg

Last edited:

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
the pipe fitted is OK but you have me thinking...

The pipe off the car does not smell of oil so it could be the header pipe. Is there a similar pipe that has clips at the ends which goes somewhere else? I will remove am tomorrow and see if the pipe is a better fit.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Re: PH1 172 mystery pipe ??????????

Heres a picture of the mystery pipe alongside the one from the thermostat cover to header bottle - as you can see it is a shade longer but it would fit. The one fitted has a covering I guess to protect it should the airintake rub on it. Clearer picture of that too. Ran the engine today for 20 mins no water coming out or oil fumes apart from burning off the exhasut from when the cam cover and head were removed. Most strange.......

Attachments

• Ruby 5th Bd 031.jpg
    Ruby 5th Bd 031.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 51
  • Ruby 5th Bd 021.jpg
    Ruby 5th Bd 021.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 50

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
The plumbing is as your diagram but I have one pipe over - when you say main radiator thats the big pipe?

Lots of Alfas
Yeah, the big pipe that goes in the front of the thermostat. The smaller pipe that runs off the big one shouldnt be there. From the front of the thermostat there should be 1 short thick pipe to the top of the rad.