ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Outer CV Joint/Driveshaft Boot

Ph1 172; MX5
I had the wheelside jubilee clip come off and all the grease shat out. I've got a boot and grease kit from Renault and I'm wondering what's the best way to go about fixing this.

Do I remove the entire driveshaft and give the CV joint a good clean before repacking it with grease and applying the new boot? Also, are there any specific tools I need.

All advice welcome. :)

fiesta zetec s mk5 / 182
mines done the same on my 04 182, what size jubilee is it you used? cant u justpeel it back clean it and repack it with grease?

i guess it depends upon how long the boot's been off and how long/where the car's been driven since. if it's not been off long and you've not been driving over the beach or anything like that, you'd probably get away with wiping it out and repacking it.

once it's free of the hub and you've wiped it out, move it in a circle to see if you can't hear any grating which might indicate there's grit in it (this might not be easy, as the remaining grease will also be making 'sticky' noises).

i've not taken one off yet, but would have thought it's just held on the end of the shaft with a circlip (? - someone must be able to confirm/advise); if so, you could take the whole shaft out and knock the CV off, and then clean it properly in kerosene or petrol before drying and repacking it.

shouldn't need any special tools, although don't know what size the hub nut is. might need an assistant to pinch the circlip in whilst knocking the CV back on to the shaft (again, if that's how they're put together).

Black 182
i guess it depends upon how long the boot's been off and how long/where the car's been driven since. if it's not been off long and you've not been driving over the beach or anything like that, you'd probably get away with wiping it out and repacking it.

once it's free of the hub and you've wiped it out, move it in a circle to see if you can't hear any grating which might indicate there's grit in it (this might not be easy, as the remaining grease will also be making 'sticky' noises).

i've not taken one off yet, but would have thought it's just held on the end of the shaft with a circlip (? - someone must be able to confirm/advise); if so, you could take the whole shaft out and knock the CV off, and then clean it properly in kerosene or petrol before drying and repacking it.

shouldn't need any special tools, although don't know what size the hub nut is. might need an assistant to pinch the circlip in whilst knocking the CV back on to the shaft (again, if that's how they're put together).

Youve got it spot on mate, would think the hub nut is likly to be either a 30 or 32mm