ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 price + cambelt change

I'm on the lookout for a ph1 172. Was meant to be going to look at a mint one tomorrow but the chap sold the car today - absolutely gutted!

Theres another one thats just popped up on pistonheads for £2600 which has done 78k, but according to the chap when i rang, it has never had a cambelt change. Obviously it would need one immediately if i was to buy it, so would i really be looking at an effective cost of 3k for it?

Can they really go for 78k on 1 belt? I would have thought it would have gone pang by now!

Cheers
Tom

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not really mate, just because the car has 78k on it doesnt necesarily mean that its destined to break, however i wouldnt wanna test how long it would last, if the cambelt hasnt been done id be looking to get a minimum of £500 taken off the car, its absolutley essential that it gets done.

Think of the Cambelt like an elastic band wrapped round a cup and left outside all year long, its going to get brittle.

Id rather pay the premium and get one with all appropriate paper work and work done to be honest mate

Yeh this was my feeling. I want a clean one ideally with a recent cambelt and clutch change, although having missed the one that sold today i was looking round and came across that one with the original belt. As you say i doubt the chap will want to slice £500 off the price, but i sent him an email near enough saying this.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If he refuses then just ignore it

I bought mine (a phase 1) for £3900 in March, the belts had not been done either but i felt it was a good price as it had excellent history and was/is in fantastic condition.

I had to part with £550 for the belt change and service but totally worth it

Try and up your budget to about £3000-3200 if you can, you could just as easily get a Phase 2 for that money, dependant ofcourse on what your after!

Get what you pay for i suppose

I have 3k to play with im just concious if you look hard enough, a nice one with all the things you want can be had for less.

I've been looking for some time and as you say 3k is ph2 money, but im really after a ph1 so arent really interested in anything newer.

I'll see what his response is.

westfield megabusa, micra
I bought a black phase 1 a few weeks ago from london, £2600, 47,000 miles and great condition. After i got it home (scotland!) the exhaust fell of it and i found a massive oil leak all over the cambelt!!! Disaster i thought.
Bit the bullet and got a st/st system and stripped the cams out, fixed the oil leak and fitted new timing belt. (never did a timing belt in my life). Now its going its a great car.

Keep looking for a car. Cheap ones are out.

3k should get you a tidy one on sub 70k with the belt done, mines done 62k and I paid a fair bit less than that, make sure its got the alloy bonnet and the shift light too!

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I picked up a black phase 1 a couple of weeks ago, with slightly high mileage 104k (motorway mileage) but it had a full service history recording cambelt change etc, including some high standard mod's - uprated suspension, induction kit, stainless exhaust for £1850 - so for £3k you should be able to get something pretty special.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I bought a black phase 1 a few weeks ago from london, £2600, 47,000 miles and great condition. After i got it home (scotland!) the exhaust fell of it and i found a massive oil leak all over the cambelt!!! Disaster i thought.
Bit the bullet and got a st/st system and stripped the cams out, fixed the oil leak and fitted new timing belt. (never did a timing belt in my life). Now its going its a great car.

Keep looking for a car. Cheap ones are out.

Where abouts are you mate>? :rasp: