ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 project

f**ked ph1 172
Well thought i'd start a project thread.

I bought it in october, and had many plans for it, as it already had the omex etc i wanted to go further and put itb's on it.

I have fitted a 182 exhaust manifold and a standard 172 airbox.

Then about 2 weeks ago whilst going to see my fiance, chasing a merc sl55 up the dual carriage way on our local airfield, the bottom end started making one hell of a racket, though it sounded like top end.

here is a sound clip:
http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/q...=Video0015.flv

coupe of days later i started the strip down.
Found a bit of the head had broken off, but didnt believe that would have caused the problem i had. it was also very hard to trun over.

i discovered hot spots on the pistons, a split oil seal on the camshaft, and what appeared to be a bent con rod:
SS100012.jpg

SS100014.jpg

SS100015.jpg

SS100016.jpg

SS100018.jpg

followed by this discovery.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/dunlop172/th_SS100017.jpg

I have started a rebuild, got hold of a ph1 bottom end in need of a piston,
and i had loads of spares come with the car.

New head build up with new valve stem oil seals
SS100005.jpg

and valves lapped in:
SS100007.jpg

My fiance then promptly threw a headfit when she came back to our flat to find what i was doing in the kitchen:
SS100019.jpg

More updates soon!

I havent got any pics of the whole car yet

f**ked ph1 172
quick update
New big end bearings ordered - Many Thanks Stan*

old pistons out:
lol
SS100024.jpg

my pre-prepped new ringed pistons going in:
SS100021.jpg

SS100022.jpg

awaiting assembly lube and big ends before the crank can go in.

tomorrow- remove old engine, pick up paint to paint the block and head etc.(watch this space ;)

f**ked ph1 172
slowly got a few more bits done, mainly paint today. inbetween having to cut the sump off my old one as the bolts are rounding :(

Pics:
engine out:
SS100029.jpg

Painted rocker cover:
SS100026.jpg

block
SS100028.jpg

A Quick pic of the localised flooding!
SS100031.jpg

On another note.
After the btcc top gear yesterday and watching all the vids, i'm going in the direction of a road going cup car, to the extent of cup car geo, ride height, cage, under body pans.

then on top, carbon bonnet, cup spoiler, and a black roof.

Has anyone got any pics of the ph1 cup cars?

Last edited:
  f**ked ph1 172
Mini update/

Headset arrived today with new bolts :)

Just waiting on my days off now, as i only finished work at 8pm :( started at 6am :(

and waiting for:
Bearings to arrive from AP-Developments
and engine lube from crewe engine's ebay site :)

f**ked ph1 172
well the engine is nearly finished! head's on, torqued down, crank is back in, still waiting on bearings from apd. getting close to my deadline of christmas. and i'm away for 2 days!

f**ked ph1 172
major set back :(

Craig has now said the bearings haven't been sent so won't be here before xmas.

gutted tbh, means all the work and overdraft spending has been for f**k all.

onless anyone knows where i can get a set of big ends for wed?

Will travel!

Last edited:
  2005 Nissan Navara
you ordered them just before everyone is closing up for xmas. Unfortunately they didnt arrive before I myself, left to see family.

can you pm me your mobile number please, I will be in your area as soon as everyone is back in work in a few days, can bring them with me to save delivery times...

f**ked ph1 172
Not blaming you mate, just one of these things!

may aswell post them mate, not going to be about for about a 2 weeks or so from the 5th :(