ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 pro's and con's

Lots of Alfas
Pros - Faster, powerful, Rare, More toys, fun to drive, better handling, better looking

Cons - Insurance/tax/fuel costs, more maintenance

Lots of Alfas
Ignore my post I thought you were weighing up pros and cons to a normal non sport clio . :eek:

Although some of them still apply ;)

Last edited:
  VaVa
Pros - Ummmmmm. Small wheels means the tyres are cheaper. They're selling for peanuts. Still a hoot to drive.

Cons - Interior and exterior styling are pretty grim. Handling is soft. Gearing is too long.

Last edited:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I've never driven one but they certainly won't be any faster than any other variant. If there is a difference, it will be nominal.

Scirocco GT 210
Pros - looks more different to the lesser spec'd ph1 clios than the ph2 172 does to other ph2s.

Ermmm.... it's cheap to buy?

Cons - it's a 7 year old French car a.k.a. s**t and falling to bits. :dapprove: Oh yes, as Laingo said, the gearing is too long. Far too long.

Get a ph2, they shouldn't have rattled to pieces just yet. :eek:

Lots of Alfas
Not enough people mentioning the pros:
  • 172mk1 registered (most of them) before mar2001 have a slightly lower tax band
  • Cable throttle which is more responsive
  • Lighter weight
  • Very slightly faster than 172mk2
  • Steering feels better, more feedback than 172mk2/182 could be down to smaller/lighter wheels
  • Steering wheel really soft (unless its fallen apart).
  • Cheaper to buy
  • Twin cat which is less restrictive
  • Slightly longer gear ratios
  • Better designed airbox..
  • A lot of people advise its fun to drive in standard form that the other clio RS's

impreza p1
ph1 172 is a mint car for the money, i had so much fun in mine, dropped it 40mm added some ph2 back lights and turini's and i thought it looked lovely.

handling is very very good if not better than my 182, running costs aint to bad i dont think, if you want economy buy a 1.2.

only thing that annoyed me was the knocking under hard acceleration (common problem)

steering wheels are crap, interior aint the best, but for the money there a mint car

VaVa
Not enough people mentioning the pros:
  • 172mk1 registered (most of them) before mar2001 have a slightly lower tax band
  • Cable throttle which is more responsive
  • Lighter weight
  • Very slightly faster than 172mk2
  • Steering feels better, more feedback than 172mk2/182 could be down to smaller/lighter wheels
  • Steering wheel really soft (unless its fallen apart).
  • Cheaper to buy
  • Twin cat which is less restrictive
  • Slightly longer gear ratios
  • Better designed airbox..
  • A lot of people advise its fun to drive in standard form that the other clio RS's

Wow. You're so impartial. ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'd say the pro's are all about drivability and value for money sports hatch-ness.

Cons are that, as said, it's a 7 year old French shitbox, with 'average' interior, and the view from the back aint too pretty.

Looks are generally opinionated: I think thewy're a huge Pro, others don't like them.

Chocolate Bar™
pros - cheap, look really nice, rare, handling as standard is superb, in fact i put mine on coilovers which actually made the suspension worse!

cons - not the most easy drive, insurance is expensive

clio 172
Had mine for a few years now and its been great, no real problems. cambelt is pricey to change which needs doing at 72000. value for money good performance. :)

Ad

MK2 FRS
is it the pros and cons of general ownership.

Simply id have one above a Mk2! Ive had all three and the ph quick is my favourite.

Lionel Richie
best RS clios ever made, no arguements

nigh on £16K new (and everyone moans about the price of a 197!)

best handling, perfect gearbox, best looking

sensors can be a t**t though