ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 - Throttle sticking on return - Cable Replaced

Clio 172 Ph1
Car was sticking at approx 2k rev's when you put clutch in ready to downshift, so tried wd40, didnt work. So all advice suggested changing cable.

Have done that and made sure was same length as previous one. Was fine yesterday but today sticking again at 2k / 2.5k. Definately seems to be cable. If you hold approx 2.5 k revs and release pedal the rev's stay there. Then if you blip the pedal it returns to idle again.

I was careful to make sure it had an unimpeded run and it comes out of the bulkhead and turns right through the two retaining clips behind the bulkhead soundproofing, pops out underneath the coolant bottle and then turns up & round into the Throttle body.

Only had the car a short while and getting ready for a track day this week. I notice there is no spring return on the pedal itself IE: when the cable is not attached the pedal falls to the floor. perhaps this design doesn't help matters?

The only thing I can think of is making the cable tighter, but that will put the idle position of the pedal way above where it is supposed to be

Any ideas ?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
If the cable is not the genuine renault part for your Ph1 then that's the issue. This is an old problem that has been covered 100s of times. Action is, 1. Clean it and lubricate. If that doesn't work, change the cable. If that doesn't work buy one for a tenner from Ebay (you might be lucky!). If that doesn't work buy a new one (that's what I eventually did, call Adam at Renault Wolverhampton - or pm him under Traders section).

Clio 172 Ph1
Ok. The TB is clean.

The replacement cable was from motor parts ditrect. It is a "first line part". All the bits looked the same as one on there previously. The old one had grey discolouration to inner nylon tube so I assumed that was crud and that was causing it to stick, so bought this one.

The new part has the same nylon inner liner, then metal outer tube, then rubber protective tube after that. The connecting bits look identical also. As you say, could have been a non Renault one on there previously also.

will ping Adam in the morning

Thanks

Clio 200 Cup
Ok. The TB is clean.

The replacement cable was from motor parts ditrect. It is a "first line part". All the bits looked the same as one on there previously. The old one had grey discolouration to inner nylon tube so I assumed that was crud and that was causing it to stick, so bought this one.

The new part has the same nylon inner liner, then metal outer tube, then rubber protective tube after that. The connecting bits look identical also. As you say, could have been a non Renault one on there previously also.

will ping Adam in the morning

Thanks
Hey mate, did you sort out your sticking throttle problem? If so how? I'm having the same problem.

Clio 172 phase 1
It'll be the butterfly on the inside catching if it's not the spring...... I bought a good condition 2nd hand body infact I bought two :) if you see a decent one for sale buy one! As there ££££ money from renault