ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 172 Vs ph2 172/182

RenaultSport clio 172 exc
Think Pretty much my mind is made up

Its hard to find a mint yellow one with low miles, same goes for an exclusive that aint stupidly over priced

I have an exclusive and fricking love it to bits. Bit of luxury with the full leather, even if grey was the worst colour to pick.

Had the car for three years and have just had to spend money on it untill now (a lot of money never the less, but still) 3 years motoring cost free.... great.

The exclusives are so understated, in my mind . i have had so many 182 FF owners asking if it was a sport or if i had just sooped it up. i love that about it.

I also love how it is the last of the old breed of hot hatch before all this cruse control, fly by wire nonscence came out. but still has modern features like AC power steering etc.

Love it, love it, love it...... just need to get it back from the garage so i can drive it hahahaha

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Never particularly liked the ph1. Over the yrs there has been some nice ones tho.

Ph2 172 was always the nicest lookin imo, nicer interior, no silly exhausts, better colours.

But now a days they look so dated compared to the 197/200.

Cheap cars...Good thing?! Not so sure!

Dead civic type r :(
Hmm interesting read that. I am swaying to a ph2 172 as it would make a better day to day car for me and imo it looks better. But would I gain anything by getting a 182 over a ph2 172.

Although the back of my mind is telling me to get a ph1 172 as a track car and a derv hack :)

320d
Hmm interesting read that. I am swaying to a ph2 172 as it would make a better day to day car for me and imo it looks better. But would I gain anything by getting a 182 over a ph2 172.

Although the back of my mind is telling me to get a ph1 172 as a track car and a derv hack :)

A cup packed 182 is regarded as a step up from a ph2 172 becuase the ph2 is described as too soft by some people.

Personally if I could afford one i'd go 182FF, However I would not be put of by a ph2 172 atall. All down to budget imo, which is why a ph2 172 is around the top of my next car list.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Having owned both, I'd rather a ph2 172 than a 182. No difference in speed, the exhaust costs less when (not if) it falls off, you get a spare wheel, and 35mpg v 32mpg. And far nicer colour range.

Ph 1 172
ph1 love mine and i got it at a good price!!! not nearly as good a price as you can get them now!!! id buy a ph1 simply becuase the extra cost you would spend on a 182 could get the 172 a hell of a lot quicker with coilovers decent exhaust sytem matched inlets and a remap!! and still have pennies i should think to get a few beers!

RB 200 Cup!
Having owned both, I'd rather a ph2 172 than a 182. No difference in speed, the exhaust costs less when (not if) it falls off, you get a spare wheel, and 35mpg v 32mpg. And far nicer colour range.

i can see your point as ive owned both too.

ph1 i had as well tho was prob the most fun

Dead civic type r :(
A cup packed 182 is regarded as a step up from a ph2 172 becuase the ph2 is described as too soft by some people.

Personally if I could afford one i'd go 182FF, However I would not be put of by a ph2 172 atall. All down to budget imo, which is why a ph2 172 is around the top of my next car list.

Could afford a 182 but less is better as I recently killed my EP3 civic type r at the nurburgring so less would be better :eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Purley preference this is, if you dont like the Phase 1 you wont ever like it.

The interior, apparently is guff! I personally have never had an issue with the interior, i bought my Phase 1 because it has a 2.0l engine that makes 164bhp/ton and will give me 40mpg when i want it too!

Fcuk the interior! Its not supposed to be nice, purpose built ftw!

ITB'd MK1
Ph1 steering wheel is the only part I couldn't live with, but i rarely keep the standard one on any car. Love the PH1, want one in a dark colour. Want the blue one G4Z is selling tbh :(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ph1 steering wheel is the only part I couldn't live with, but i rarely keep the standard one on any car. Love the PH1, want one in a dark colour. Want the blue one G4Z is selling tbh :(

We washed it the other day, barley a mark on that Odyssey mate, if you have a bit of time and effort it has the potential to be a wee cracker :eek:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
theres a few for sale, im thinking of selling mine as well but after fossie drove it on sunday night it appears its a decent car and worth changing your mind from the usual ph2 crew :)

120d M-Sport
Before i got my PH1 i always preferred the look of the PH2 due to moderness etc. But i got my PH1 cheap from a mate so i had to have it! When i seen it i was like :eek: pictures really do not do it justice from when you see in person!

Dunno what all this malarky about interior is about because i love it! Aside from the steering wheel and rear bumper thats it but there easily sorted ;)

Mine finally gets insured next month after a long 7month holiday on my drive! Glad i bought it when i did though because if i didnt i'd of had no money for a new car come renewal and still wouldnt have got it as cheap as i did off some one else!

So if your looking for a cheap buzz with none of the fairy gadgets then PH1 FTFW!! :approve:

Saxo VTS, Clio 172 Silver
Ph1 are looking quite dated nowa days imo, but if could get a ph1 cheap enough i would defo have one.

Hope this helps Yehroy, Fossie whatever you want to be called on here....

53 Clio's & counting
if you want to spend £6000 on a Clio = 182

if you want to spend £3000-4000 on a Clio ph2 172

If you want to spend £2000 on a Clio - Ph1 Clio

Thats the way i look at it :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
they're all the same performance .....more or less, just one is more luxurious than the other, it would have to be a ph1 for the money,

as looking at 6-7k for a 182 is silly in my view, however nice the colours are, they're still the same cars underneath

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Slight thread resurrection here but I have a question (I think I know the answer).

Ph1 vs Ph2:
Many people on here agree that the Ph1 is a more engaging car to drive but it's often said that the Ph2 (non-cup) is the worst of the lot.
Am I right in saying that it's just because the Ph2 172 is a little heavier and has the drive by wire throttle?

If a Ph2 was being stripped & track prepped then, excluding the drive by wire, would it be pretty much the same.

I know I'm being a tart but I don't really fancy a silver car and I prefer the looks of the Ph2. Drive by wire I can probably live with.

QQ: How is the Ph2 for Heal and Toe? Does the throttle pedal lag?
Thanks

Tav

Clio 197
Surely the increased castor on the 182 is noticeable!?! Ok not a reason to buy a car but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the feel of the car. The stronger hubs, 16" wheels, cup pack and increased castor must add up to some improved feeling?

If I was buying a Clio on a shoe string I'd have a 172. If I was buying a cheap Clio I'd have a 172 Cup. If I had a bit more to spend I'd buy a 182 Cup in racing blue.

As for the question on heel toe above the drive by wire system is fine. You wouldn't get in the car and think 'damn this has drive by wire!' I came from driving a super responsive short stroke, cross flow, cable throttle car and the Clio is almost as good.

...and lastly if you can afford it and want the best Clio I wouldn't buy anything else other than a Trophy.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Cheers Tav,

I kind of agree/understand your comments about a Trophy but I'm wanting to get a Clio as a track car (road legal). For my purposes, stripping down a Trophy would be a bit naughty, especially as I'm budgetting to throw another couple of grand at whatever I buy.

Are all PH2s meant to have cruise control / traction control etc? my 51 plate 172 doesn't have either, it seems to have the same spec as the ph1 172 unless im missing something.

Tav

Clio 197
Cheers Tav,

I kind of agree/understand your comments about a Trophy but I'm wanting to get a Clio as a track car (road legal). For my purposes, stripping down a Trophy would be a bit naughty, especially as I'm budgetting to throw another couple of grand at whatever I buy.

I guess it depends how much you are going to modify the base car and how often you plan on going to track days. I'd be happy taking my 182 Cup on track with some higher temp pads and no other mods. If I was doing a lot of track days then a bucket seat, harnesses, better tyres and coilovers might be on the list. At that stage I'd start running it in production hill climbs and sprints to make it worthwhile spending all the money.

Dedicated track car...172 or 172 Cup...cheap enough that you can throw money at new parts without blowing the bank. 172 has 15's which you can get track orientated tyres more easily for so there's no need to buy new wheels, bonus.