ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 cable throttle body - 64mm bore upgrade. Report back.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Had touble with me throttle cable to start after buying the 172 (It snapped) then the new one was too tight, and had to sort that.

Then decided it was throttle body as engine was oscillating in revs quite severely (Cant see how a sticky cable would make engine revs go up and down) so bought a replacement used throttle body from this site.

90% better but now and again engine revs when you dont want it too (Dont fancy that when whizzing round the track) so went the whole hog and sent the original throttle body off to Gavin in South West, to clean up, replace spindle and butterfly flaps.

So- now to fit it. Will do that this weekend if its warm enough (11/12th Feb) and report back. I realise the performance increase will be negligible, altho may well fit matched manifolds in the future, and better induction

Have a new Renault accel cable if not perfect when body is fitted, but dont fancy dicking about with that in this weather

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Couldnt wait- put the enlarged (64mm) throttle body on this morning in the cold. First impressions are FAB! Not counting my chickens yet as have only driven about 45 minutes, but not one sticky throttle moment, yet.

Performance doesnt seem too much better but will find that out on the rollers beginning of March at Surrey Rolling road meet. didnt expect it to be.

It does feel a lot "freer" though. A little more keen to get to top speed. Seems to breathe better

One problem- the idle is now at 500 revs which has caught me out pulling away from lights a couple times? How adjust- is it that screw that seems set in place? Been used to 1000 revs.

No sticky throttle atm either (Yep- said it again) whuch is a first pretty much since Ive had the car.

Happy at the moment. Lets hope it lasts. If anyone needs a cable operated throttle body which is 98% good, then let me know. Probably only needs a squirty clean. Thats the one i just took off. The really bad one, (the one Ive just put on) Gavin (Ebay) down Devon and Cornwall way refurbed it for £85 and its money well spent. Depends how long it lasts i suppose

On the hunt for nicely priced matched inlet manifolds now :)

dan's cast offs.
it's the black on that one. phase 1, epas, pms exhaust and everything else standard.

STANDARD AND FINAL.jpg

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Peak bhp is 182 then? Guessing at 6krevs

Power range delivered differently on 2 runs

Or am i reading the graph wrong?

dan's cast offs.
it's the black, the red was a different inlet setup. was touch over 180bhp with the matched inlets etc. would have to dig the graph out to check thee actual revs etc.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
PM with a posted price if you want to sell
Mind you, only a 6bhp or so increase

Wonder how much a mechanic would cost to swap them. Too old, and too dirty a job for me now. Just a tinkerer.