ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 Gearbox ratio options

PH1
OK, I've used my track only PH1 at both Aintree an Oulton Park and I'm not to happy with the gearing situation.
Now Aintree has quite a long straight which at the end the best I've seen is 122.
The problem is your in 5th gear for a fraction of a second, almost not worth the change:(
At Oulton, admittedly in the wet, I only need 3rd and 4th.
Is there a box/diff I could fit that would bring the gearing down to allow the use of 5th, I feel I could loose around 10-15mph off the top end without any major issues?
Everything is standard including tyres size so gearing is as per the factory.
Thanks
Col

172 Race Car
Its a road car so 5th is always going to be a bit lazy.

A later box from a phase 2 172 or 172 cup has a lower final drive so will make a difference. We used a stock gearbox in our race car this year. We only needed 5th at Snetterton and then it was a little pointless. My old track car was a phase 1 with stock box and ive driven it at oulton. The phase 2 ratio was much better there imo.

There is an option that we have looked into of using a lower 5th gear but weve not done it yet so cant comment. The phase 2 boxes are the lowest final drive ratio available stock (afaik) Our gearbox man spent months looking for a lower than stock ratio and came up blank. He thinks there is one out there somewhere but it never showed itself. you could get a different final drive fitted, possibly by a company like gripper as they have options for different ratios when buying an LSD.

It wont be cheap tho.

PH1
you could get a different final drive fitted, possibly by a company like gripper as they have options for different ratios when buying an LSD.

It wont be cheap tho.
I've only got about £1800 in the car so really looking to do it on the cheap.;)
I will look at a PH2 box, are they all the same, would an espace box have a lower final drive?
Thanks
Col

172 Race Car
No idea what box is in an espace, let alone its ratios.

a decent box is going to cost you £300-£400 anyway so im not sure its really worth doing, it wont make that much difference. If your box was broke then it'd be the way to go

Just my opinion

Golf GTD Mk7
Oulton is a 3/4th track anyway, but better ratio would make a difference exiting the chicanes/slow corners. Final drive like Jay said is best bet, making the top end slower, but speeding up acceleration through the gears. nothing is cheap when it comes to Clio boxes unfortunately.

Lionel Richie
hence why a raised limiter is useful, just leave it in 4th

we ran a stock box with cira 240bhp, the only track we used 5th on was spa and the ring

PH1
I'm sure we use 2nd at oulton aswell
I did try using second but in the wet it would just spin up, I was lucky last time out to have a mate in an identical car(even the same colour, how sweet was that:eek:) and he used 2nd out of the first chicane and I stayed in 3rd, made no difference.
I'm sure in the dry it will be a different story.

hence why a raised limiter is useful, just leave it in 4th
Cheaper option than a gearbox change?
Cheers
Col

172 Race Car
Cheaper option than a gearbox change?
Cheers
Col
ECU Remap on stock ecu isnt that expensive.

Our limiter is 7600 iirc (different ecu and 200bhp) as Fred says 5th very rarely used.

Brands, Anglesey, Mallory etc all very close to limiter in 4th gear at end of straight

BMW M5 & E36
If you did go down the Ph2 box route (waste of time IMO), then you'd need a Cup box to retain the ph1 speedo drive.

PH1
then you'd need a Cup box to retain the ph1 speedo drive
Track only car so not an issue, although I do have a veypor fitted so can use that if I really wanted to know my speeds(or lack of:D)
Cheers
COl

PH1
Do you trailer it to the track then?
Yes, she goes on a trailer. Did try driving too and from but felt I couldn't give it 100% as there was always that concern about getting home:)
If you are just doing track days etc,then don't bother dicking about with it and save your money
May just be the best advice I could be given;)
Cheers
Col

Golf GTD Mk7
Im sure we use 2nd at oulton aswell.

I suppose you can in a racing situation at the chicane after Shell, but you loose too much speed going in for me. Problem is you've not got much power out to push you up the hill. That part of oulton is both enjoyable and annoying within such a short space. :( Aside from that 3rd and 4th are plenty.

If you did go down the Ph2 box route (waste of time IMO), then you'd need a Cup box to retain the ph1 speedo drive.

It's reprogrammable to accept both Chris ;)