ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph1 Renaultsport Clio look advice please, guys!!!

Clio 172
Hi all

Currently drive a modified MR2 Roadster which I have advertised for sale. I have been offered a X reg renaultsport Clio as a swap which I 'think' is a ph1 172 (ie the front bumper has the small air vents/slits in them. Sorry not that up on the lingo yet!). i really like the later spec'd models of Clio as i think this model is starting to show its age now. is it a big job to update the front end with a revised later spec'd car?

thanks for the help, peeps.

Andy

You need bumpers, wings, bonnet, arch liners, lights, grilles. Yeah, not a cheap, easy or worthwhile thing to do really.

But welcome along. The Ph1 get a lot of love on here.

Clio 172 PH1, Mini
Don't bother getting it if your just going to rip the front end off. In my opinion ph1's look the best of all the seriers. I gess you have to save up some more pennies for a ph2

Clio 172
The best looking? Really? Fair enough!

Okay, so a facelift is quite an expensive job. my friend runs a breakers so i will ask him if he ever gets any in. I have a compressor etc and am half handy with a spanner so think I could do it for a good price. Might be one of those cars that the looks just grow on your anyway though so might not need to bother. Not going to rush into anything. As long as the car drives and runs well, i think I will go for it. the looks arent a deal breaker for me.

really appreciate the prompt reply, fellas!

Andy

the phase 1 looks so much purer and 'better' though chap? i'd have bought a ph2 but you have to work on them to get them mean. but i guess its down to opinion.

i pick up a phase 1 tomorrow from BTM and it will have a phase 2 rear setup but the fronts staying all phase one with a splitter and some choice cuts and vents :)

classic for a reason ;)

Clio 172
We will have to agree to disagree, pal! The facelift knocks years off the car for me, and much less, well, French?! lol! that was probably the wrong thing to say on here, wasnt it?!

I value my car at the same as one of the cheaper facelifts, the ph1s do seem to be worth a few quid less on average so might have a good look first to make sure there arent any out there for sale who fancy something different. Bad time of the year to be selling a convertible though, I guess...!

Andy

Ph 1 172
whatever you do dont get a phase 1 172 if you want a phase 2. it would be a pig of a job to swop the front ends over and if anything probably more money to get the phase 1 then buy all the phase 2 parts you need and fit them, than just buy a phase 2 172

Clio 172
After doing a few searches on the amount of bits needed, i agree! Will see if the ph1 looks grow on me, if not, will focus on getting a ph2. thanks so much for the advice, fellas.

Andy

Golf MK6 GT TDI
The interior on the Ph1 compared to the Ph2 is also gash! Just buy a Ph2, they're better! :D

182cup & 172 racecar
7488.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 172 PH1, Mini
I agree that the ph2 interior is better but to drive ph1's are alot more purer and roar to drive. It depends what your tastes are and what you want I gess.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I too think the Ph2 is a better looking car, just hold out and get a Ph2 Cup.