ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 to Ph2 Throttle Position Sensor Conversion

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I need to either splice a new throttle position sensor onto my Ph1 loom or swap the throttle position sensor from a Ph2 to my Ph1 loom. I am struggling to find a wiring diagram. Any help?

So I need to go from this Ph1 loom plug:
car loom.jpeg
IMG_9789.jpeg

To this throttle position sensor:
new sensor.jpeg
IMG_9790.jpeg

I would prefer to use a Ph2 plug and not cut the brand new sensor. But if I go down that route of splicing it I will make sure there is a removable connection just in case.

There is method in my madness....apparently Ktec have updated the TPS in their ITB kit where previosuly it had an adapter cable to go from the loom to the supplied sensor. Now you don't need this. But being a Ph1 it doesn't quite work (by the looks of it I might be the first to hit this issue as it was new to them when I phoned them earlier!). Their solution was to get a Ph2 plug and use the new connector on the sensor or cut both plugs off and splice the loom to the sensor. I have asked them for a wiring diagram but just in case was seeing if anyone has any info. Have also posted in the wanted section for a Ph2 loom plug.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Ph2 tps is part of the fbw throttle body mate, and I’m pretty sure that it’s a female plug on the ph2 as well.
I just want to swap the loom plug for a Ph2 one to fit the new one Ktec have supplied. Their response was "The quickest solution is to cut the plug from your standard wiring loom and put in a Ph2 plug". So you are saying this can't be done? I just want to swap my top picture plug to whatever the Ph2 is so it can be plugged into the bottom picture.

I have most likely described what I am after very badly 🙃

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I just want to swap the loom plug for a Ph2 one to fit the new one Ktec have supplied. Their response was "The quickest solution is to cut the plug from your standard wiring loom and put in a Ph2 plug". So you are saying this can't be done? I just want to swap my top picture plug to whatever the Ph2 is so it can be plugged into the bottom picture.

I have most likely described what I am after very badly 🙃

Ah ok. I'm with you now! I may have one on a loom in the garage loft. Will have a look tomorrow.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@KitsonRis I looked in the garage loft, and I have a plug for the ph2 throttle body. However, it’s damaged and won’t stay connected. As you can see in the image:
6D0F99E0-3E04-4B3D-AD67-75372EF2BCFF.jpeg

However, there’s the part number clearly visible - explains why it’s broken as it’s an Audi item. Lol!
3EE5172D-ACD3-4938-A95A-96F1AF32365B.jpeg

Part number is clearly seen in the image if you wanted to order one.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
@KitsonRis I looked in the garage loft, and I have a plug for the ph2 throttle body. However, it’s damaged and won’t stay connected. As you can see in the image:View attachment 1626314

However, there’s the part number clearly visible - explains why it’s broken as it’s an Audi item. Lol! View attachment 1626315

Part number is clearly seen in the image if you wanted to order one.
Thanks for taking a look, appreciate it. I’m tempted to just directly wire the loom to the sensor and make my own connector.

Do you know the wiring of the plug so I can cut mine about? Looks like there are more wires on the Ph2 plug.

Also KTec are trying to find a solution, have admitted it’s an oversight on their behalf as I did buy a Ph1 kit. However I have no idea what this will be!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for taking a look, appreciate it. I’m tempted to just directly wire the loom to the sensor and make my own connector.

Do you know the wiring of the plug so I can cut mine about? Looks like there are more wires on the Ph2 plug.

Also KTec are trying to find a solution, have admitted it’s an oversight on their behalf as I did buy a Ph1 kit. However I have no idea what this will be!
I have a ph1 - ph2 wiring conversion somewhere mate. I’ll dig it out. 👍🏻

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing!
Looking at the bottom of the first spread sheet I just need to match the colours of the wires up….but my KTec TPS doesn’t have those colours (of course it doesn’t!!), it has green, red and black and not pink, grey and orange. Unless @barnesautos knows what the ph2 pin out on its TPS plug so I can work out what positions the colours are then I can map that to the Renault colours?

I do have a GEN90 ECU. I am hoping it will be a simple unplug the standard ECU, plug the GEN90 in and start it up 🤞

172 Ph1
So this is what I’ve worked out your Ktec tps to be.
I cross references the connector with one I have used on mine.

What I would suggest is before going permanently, grab your multi meter and test the wire outputs from the ecu.
Measure 5v on the orange wire
Earth on the white wire and
Continuity the cream wire back to pin 43
Once confirmed , I’d connect the 5v and earth and then test the signal coming out when you operate the tps .
This can all be done on or off the bodies , up to you.

So below is the info

Pin 1 Green = Signal goes to Cream wire Pin 43 on GEN90 ecu
Pin 2 Red = 5volts goes to Orange wire Pin 71 on GEN90 ecu
Pin 6 Black = Negative goes to White wire Pin 87 on GEN90 ecu

I hope this helps.

PM me if you get stuck.

d6c6e19356048002f262f46ecccdae58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
So this is what I’ve worked out your Ktec tps to be.
I cross references the connector with one I have used on mine.

What I would suggest is before going permanently, grab your multi meter and test the wire outputs from the ecu.
Measure 5v on the orange wire
Earth on the white wire and
Continuity the cream wire back to pin 43
Once confirmed , I’d connect the 5v and earth and then test the signal coming out when you operate the tps .
This can all be done on or off the bodies , up to you.

So below is the info

Pin 1 Green = Signal goes to Cream wire Pin 43 on GEN90 ecu
Pin 2 Red = 5volts goes to Orange wire Pin 71 on GEN90 ecu
Pin 6 Black = Negative goes to White wire Pin 87 on GEN90 ecu

I hope this helps.

PM me if you get stuck.

View attachment 1632494

Amazing info thanks. I’ll try and get around to looking at this one evening this week or weekend.
I did look and according to the KTec website it is a P&G TPS as you suggested, although I forgot to look at the sensor itself.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve just checked what I was sent and it agrees with the Red to Orange but it says black to begin then green to white

F0F7CC55-30F2-4EE4-BA9D-EADC70C52F7B.jpeg

I’ve done as per the instructions I was sent as tbh that was all the info I was given!! And the fact that the TPS I was sent would fit directly onto a Ph2 loom.

Have I been told bad information….again?!

Last edited:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
78700462-4F0F-49CE-B6B2-F5530EB597F5.jpeg

And this is the only marking I can see on the TPS (might be one in the other side but I’ll remove it when I get a chance to look at this later in the week)

172 Ph1
Seems I have it different to Ktec
Do this first please check the signal wire only.
Easy way to find out is to continuity back to pin 43 on the ecu which is the signal wire , that pin has not changed its location at all so that is still the valid signal wire from tps . Note the colour beige or white , then go from there.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Seems I have it different to Ktec
Do this first please check the signal wire only.
Easy way to find out is to continuity back to pin 43 on the ecu which is the signal wire , that pin has not changed its location at all so that is still the valid signal wire from tps . Note the colour beige or white , then go from there.

Tha gas the plan, work out where pin 43 goes. I presume when you say activate the throttle to test the signal that is just measure the voltage over the wire in pin 43 when I press the throttle pedal and it should read something? Electronics are not my forte!

Hoping to finish work a bit earlier tomorrow so I’ll have some light outside to see all this.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Hello everyone, digging up an old thread as i am considering buying a second hand KTR TB kit with Gen90 ECU currently remove from a ph2 to fit into a ph1. Did you manage to sort all of your woes?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Hello everyone, digging up an old thread as i am considering buying a second hand KTR TB kit with Gen90 ECU currently remove from a ph2 to fit into a ph1. Did you manage to sort all of your woes?
Worth a read of Kit's project

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I ended up hard wiring my TPS into the loom (probably kit the best idea but I’ll get around to fitting a plug…probably). Turns out the newer TPS from KTec is for a Ph2 (as from what I was told by them their ITB kit essentially is) as the GEN90 is a Ph2 ECU hence all the pin changes required on the ECU loom plug to make it work in a Ph1. They admitted it was an oversight on their behalf and didn’t give Ph1’s a consideration when I went to fit my TPS and it wouldn’t work. Although it’s not the end of the world.

I used the table supplied from KTec for the pin outs on the TPS along with guidance from Barnesautos to make it work. I can try and dig out some details on what I did, might all be on my project thread