ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH2 1.6 16v K4M - 'diesel' rattle and oil leak

stylus pilot

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk2 Ph2 1.6
So I was going to ask about the oil leak, and then I realised there's a bigger potential problem...

As per the video below - it's making a constant nasty rattle, almost like a light diesel clatter noise, from the top end of the engine. I take it this has no dephaser (no VVT) - oil level is fine, but it has always audibly 'tapped' 3-5 times on cold startup until oil pressure is built.

Any ideas if this is likely to be timing related? I had the belt done a couple of years ago following a failed water pump (that made a much worse rattling noise before it died!).

I'm ashamed of myself if the timing has been out all this time, but I'm sure the rattle wasn't there like this following the belt change (though I didn't ever run it with the bonnet up, which is when I first noticed it). It's only dawned on me recently that the cambelt change is probably as common to get wrong as the F4R, if I understand the floating cams setup correctly (see the oil leak details further down...)

Any advice welcome!

Rattle video:

th_VID_20140224_152033130_zps2e109ee4.jpg

The oil leak looks to me like a winning combination of the cam plugs, but even more likely the thermostat housing. You can see the extent of the oil leak around the housing, a little around the upper seal on the rocker cover area (breather plate?), but also worryingly around towards the front of the engine, though I think it might have sprayed that way out of the front of the thermostat housing sealing area, if it indeed it also carries oil as I've read on other threads.

It looks to me like at least one bolt is missing from the thermostat housing, though possibly more (see picture). What also makes me think the housing is knackered, is the colour of the coolant... (The oil appears to have no mayo, thankfully).

Should there be more bolts there? Change of thermostat housing required? Are the bolts available as well? etc.

Excuse the massive pics - photobucket noob here.

P1070530_zps6620ab8d.jpg

P1070536_zps97756b11.jpg

P1070535_zps23f3e845.jpg

P1070532_zps7244f58f.jpg

P1070538_zps9e3eeed0.jpg

P1070539_zps445ded20.jpg

Many thanks