ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 172 clunking when pulling away - gearbox problem maybe

CS Dungeon
Right I think my gearbox may of given up on me.

It started off as a rumbling when I was taking left hand relatively high speed bends when all the weight was over the drivers side front wheel. This rumbling could be felt through the steering wheel as a fast judder.

Then all of a sudden it turned into a really bad 'clunking' when pulling away from standstill and once moving (slowly) each time I applied the accelerator.

It struggles to pull away now and you can feel it jerking as it clunks (loudly) as if somethings trying to bite but is slipping.................Its hard to describe.

Anyway, I bought a new drivers side driveshaft as I thought this was the easiest solution...................Changed it yesterday, but its still doing it:mad:

I have come to the conclusion that it may be the gearbox but want others opinions 1st.

Is it worth removing the passenger side DS and checking the 3 huge bearings on the end of that shaft?

If its the gearbox, will a Williams gearbox fit? I have 2 sat in my garage:)

I have bought a new wheel bearing today as I was hoping it was going to be that, but the more I think about it, I really dont think the bearing has collapsed and there was no obvious signs of damage when I had the hub off yesterday.

Any suggestions?

CS Dungeon
Cheers Dan.............anyone else think its the Diff or maybe something else?

Is it an engine out job to remove the gearbox?
Are there any guides on removing the gearbox?

Is it a DIY job or will I be better getting GDi to do it for me?

Its gotta be running for the 29th Sept as were off on holiday in the in-laws car and there using the 172 for the week

Cheers

Its not an engine out job,

Lower the pass side of the subframe, remove pass d/s, undo ball joints, remove drivers d/s, remove lower gearbox mount, then the top one, then all the box bolts inc starter and slide out, then out through the top.

CS Dungeon
Nice one Dan, sounds piece of cake:)

Take it I dont need to drain any fluids other then the gearbox oil?

Lowering passenger side of subframe, is it just a case of undoing the bolts and letting it hang there, or will it need supporting under a jack?

R35 GTR
Nice one Dan, sounds piece of cake:)

Take it I dont need to drain any fluids other then the gearbox oil?

Lowering passenger side of subframe, is it just a case of undoing the bolts and letting it hang there, or will it need supporting under a jack?

you can get some studs and washers and lower it down apparently. I would be very interested in a guide. bmh.01 i think did a good write up.

CS Dungeon
Thats me confuzzled lol

What do I do with the studs and washers?

So I dont just want to undo the nuts/bolts holding the sub frame and lower it on a trolley jack then?

Breaking A 172 Replica
It sounds stupid, I know but:

Wheels bolts - are they all tights, especially the fronts?

And the front suspension struts - nothing major happened to the top mounts? E.g. my ball bearing part of the strut top broke and caused a similar noise to what you are describing.

Sam

CS Dungeon
Confirmed this evening its defo the gearbox.

Have just ordered myself a 182 gearbox

Will hopefully have it fitted by end of the weekend, if all goes to plan.....................famous last words:eek:

CS Dungeon
Called RUK yesterday afternoon and they have offered to brunt a percentage of the cost to replace my gearbox even though it is out of warranty by a year.

However they have to do the work and quoted me approx £1300......c***s

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Hi, just wanted to be sure if my problem is the same:
I did yesterday jamikana (slalom driving) and when I turn left with hard acceleration and all the weight on the front right wheel it feels like the wheel going to come of the alloy or have a flat tire. happen only when I turn left with hard acceleration + only on the track.
A friend told me that the problem is a driveshaft.
what do you think ?
Lior

Clio 172 Cup
this sounds very similar to something thats happening to mine its not corner related but when i accelerate it jerks clunks bangs and feels like the n/s d/s is slipping

CS Dungeon
Does not sound like my problem Wiking, make a fresh post with your problems and you will get more replies/help :)

My problem turned out to be a fucked diff, completely lost all forward drive and only retained a little reverse.

All fixed now with a fresh 182 gearbox :)

CS Dungeon
this sounds very similar to something thats happening to mine its not corner related but when i accelerate it jerks clunks bangs and feels like the n/s d/s is slipping

My corner related thing turned out to be the least of my worries as it looks as if my wheel wasnt sitting flush with the hub as previous owner had used the wrong brake disc retaining screws:mad:

The clunking which I thought was the drive shaft turned out to be the diff and needed a full gearbox change.

Clio 172 Cup

My corner related thing turned out to be the least of my worries as it looks as if my wheel wasnt sitting flush with the hub as previous owner had used the wrong brake disc retaining screws:mad:

The clunking which I thought was the drive shaft turned out to be the diff and needed a full gearbox change.

the only thing that mine could be now is the diff or gear box.

Clio 172 Cup
whats there to go wrong though ?

if its diff can you just swap diff ?

if there is something wrong big time im gonna kick renaults arse its only done 18 k

Clio 172 Cup
iv'e got a couple of cardboard box's here we could use one of them and it'l still be better than a skanky renault one.