ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 172 cup project clean up

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi guys
I thought I would start a project thread to keep progress on my 172 cup.
Now I bought the car of a cliosport.net member and my BROTHER so I know the car very well.
So the story goes my bro doesn't know about contraception and is now expecting his 3rd child so he needs a bigger car.
Being flat out broke he couldn't spend any money on bringing the car up to scratch to sell, I quite fancied a clio for a while and while I'm doing loads of work to my m3 it would make sense to use it as a stop gap fun weekend car.

Anyhow I bought the car for 2k which I thought was a fair price given the mileage and what needs to be done.
Spec of the car is pretty good
Front suspension
- Pure motorsport top mounts
- Pure motorsport strutbrace
- Eibach camber bolts
- Gas gha coilovers
- Powerflex wishbone bushes
- brembo hc discs
Rear
- whiteline arb
- Gaz gha shock and spring
Engine
- powerflex dog bone mount
- ktr imitation induction kit
- unknown cat back under bumper
- rs tuner 98 Ron map
Exterior
- cabre Eros black alloys 15" 7j
et 30 - toyo t1r 195/50/15
- black badges
- 172 cup rear wiper blank
- 172 cup custom bullets

The car has 53k on the clock and two owners with full service history mainly by Fred including belts and dephaser pulley but that was 5 years ago so needs it again now, even though it's done less that 20k

The car is / still is filthy!! I mean disgusting.
So 2 grand down and a list of stuff to do I tried to clean it today and see what needs doing.

Here it is filthy

6E214091-8EBE-4300-8185-17E418ED6556_zpssonkeig8.jpg

37322141-1D1F-47A9-AFF0-38CD9317CCA2_zpswqnjujwn.jpg

BD3C0866-E9B3-4F21-AC57-8DAA522EC98C_zpsuu4hc8i5.jpg

So as you can see it's pretty filthy
And needs a fair few jobs doing and parts are already on there way

Here is what the car looks like clean about a year ago- front splitter has gone but I'm hopefully going to get one soon as it looks really good.

EE9262A7-631D-4D9F-86C1-F7637C5570B3_zpscpa33yz9.jpg

6CF0EBAE-0E58-481A-B471-79F256DA95D2_zps96gq6tmi.jpg

4BA247E9-124C-42F2-862E-222C8BDB8093_zpsvzbyvzio.jpg

436CE62A-FF2C-489C-B397-7601CB61AD31_zpsk90lrhvo.jpg

Next update will hopefully see some tlc done on the Clio

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi
Only a small update today
Decided to add some small stickers to try and break up the blue.
Car is still dirty but it was raining.
Just some engine cover stickers as like the yellow against the blue
0AE32403-2713-45C1-8E49-6969194A2745_zpsrtdopcfj.jpg
898ADAF8-85C0-4A9D-A9F9-632FB7820D11_zpsruxovg1m.jpg

%5BURL=http://s646.photobucket.com/user/da...BA73-ED6CE622492A_zps50dvhhaf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I also replaced the thumb grips on the steering wheel as they where terrible and spoiled the drive.
Looks much smarter now and not a expensive job
%5BURL=http://s646.photobucket.com/user/da...9292-18EB23D03702_zpsgewkel8h.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
%5BURL=http://s646.photobucket.com/user/da...ABAC-C3DDEA40145C_zps9enla0jv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Looks a good base for a project. I'd have to agree with @imprezaworks please remove the stickers haha.
IMHO it needs:
Smaller front plain number plate,
Rear plain number plate
Chrome badges back on,
A thorough clean,
Remove the rear dewiper sticker,
Spacers on the wheel,
Change centre caps on wheels,
Clean it again,
Small aerial.

Cheap easy mods that improve it sooooo much. Looking forward to updates.

E36 M3,172 cup
I quite like the stickers so there staying
The dewiper blank is airbrushed by sprayshack so staying for now.

I think I will get new wheels as not keen on them and a dam good clean and wax

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Have to agree with the stickers the renault f1 would be ones to look at if you want stickers but hey its your car do what pleases you. Needs turinis really. Give it a good clean then see where you stand.

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi
Was trying to kill a bit of time at the inlaws so gave the car a quick wash in between the rain showers.
Very much needed. Once I have time at home I will give it a proper wash, clay, polish and wax.
Also got the rear diamond cover off but need some tools to prise the front one off

E36 M3,172 cup
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2720.JPG
IMG_2728.JPG
Had a hour free today so carried on with a few jobs.
Removed the flapping panel on the tailgate which was held on by one screw and got some clips.
My brother left it like that for two years!
Much better now and cost under £3

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi
Decided to fit a race battery I had sitting around for my m3 and thought it made sense to put it in the Clio.
Standard battery isn't heavy but not 5kg like my race battery. Also I wanted the room so I could put my oil catch tank up front.
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2734.JPG

As you can see it's very tight on space
Induction kit filter is all squashed and starting to split.

IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2738.JPG

New battery on and routed a new earth cable. Moved the earth over and heat shrink wrapped to stop contact and will get covers asap.
Then fitted a 2litre catch tank
Need a longer hose and two little brackets made but easy stuff just ran out of time.
Atleast I found space for the tank,Lost some weight upfront, retained the battery upfront and my air filter isn't so squashed and has air all around it.
Il be getting a new filter soon though as although the Ramair isn't split through it's past it's best.
IMG_2739.JPG

E36 M3,172 cup
Had a little tidy up of the intake and battery area
Painted the alloy pipe in engine enamel black which looks much better , also I got a new air filter as the RAMAIR filter was knackered.
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2733.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG

And now after,
Sounds even better with this filter on too!
The oil catch tank is almost ready too
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2985.JPG

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a good base for a project. I'd have to agree with @imprezaworks please remove the stickers haha.
IMHO it needs:
Smaller front plain number plate,
Rear plain number plate
Chrome badges back on,
A thorough clean,
Remove the rear dewiper sticker,
Spacers on the wheel,
Change centre caps on wheels,
Clean it again,
Small aerial.

Cheap easy mods that improve it sooooo much. Looking forward to updates.
Jesus Louis haha

E36 M3,172 cup
It's ok I know what I want too do with it and the stickers are staying.
The bullets and rear wiper blank will be removed soon as the bullets are cracking and the rear blank is warped

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi
Thought I best give the old girl a better clean up as the last owner(my brother) hadn't cleaned it in years!
Snow foam, clean, speed glaze and wax it came up nicely
IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3015.JPG

Got rid of the huge ugly Ariel they put in these and got a tiny bee sting Ariel for £3 and it looks pukka
Nice beading shot too
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG

Got a parcel shelf for the cup too. Looks much better with it in and hopefully reduce the noise in the cabin from the bloody loud exhaust it currently has fitted.
IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG

E36 M3,172 cup
IMG_3033.PNG
It's a deep cycle cell battery. I only use the car at weekends so left all week and seams fine , have one in my m3 and starts it with ease.
Weight is 6kg so quite light but has screw terminals so you have to change that about.

E36 M3,172 cup
Update

Done some more interior upgrades
First up was to try and deal with the nasty steering wheel. Now the obvious choice would be to put a aftermarket one in but I wanted to keep the airbag to protect my pretty face.
The thumb grips there dead like horrible to drive.
IMG_2482.JPG

so I bought some carbon fibre ones of a member on here.
IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

I'm sure you can tell by the pictures they don't fit well and felt crap and actually very heavy! I had a spare set of rubber grips which felt better so I tested them out
IMG_3087.JPG

And decided to go with the rubber ones and the little carbon trim at the bottom of the wheel
IMG_3096.JPG

Steering wheel now feeling much nicer

E36 M3,172 cup
Next update
More interior stuff
I decided to fit some recliner seats I had bought for my M3 but changed my mind so had them sitting around and the cup seats where hard to slide and felt loose on the mech so I bought some sparco seat bases and tried these out
From these barely bolted down I.e only two nuts holding the passenger seat in when I went to unbolt them!
IMG_2489.JPG

To show the difference between the two
IMG_3174.JPG

Both in looking good!
I might invest in some lower subframes as they sit quite high.
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG

Also the standard gearknob was horrible so I got a metal one. It's so much better than standard, nice weight and feel and slightly taller
IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

Overall I am quite happy with the look now and it's comfortable
IMG_3183.JPG