ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 172 Monaco not starting possibly starter motor?

6/468 17poo
The story:

We were driving from ikea to the petrol station, very short trip on the same shopping complex gf puts a cup of water in the cup tray near the cigarette lighter i drive round a corner and the cup goes everywhere, we stop at petrol station to fill up and go to start it and nothing!

The dashboard lights come on as usual and lights go out including immobiliser light then go to turn to the next stage and nothing just a click from the glove box. From there we bumped started the car and got it to halfords to check the battery. Battery read 'good' on the meter then car would not start even with their huge power starter thing. So we had to bump start it again.

From this I presume its the starter motor which has just died, but before I get someone to change the starter motor is there anything else I should be checking?

Any help would be great, the car had a new UCH couple of years ago which hurt the bank so that should be okay and since we can bump start it presume its not that and the immobiliser light on the dash does go out.

Thanks

Ryan

Phase 1 172
Is it worth me going through every relay?
No mate for the simple reason that there is no relay that runs through or should I say that feeds the power to the starter motor. It's a simple battery to solonoid to the stater motor which is located usually between ignition barrel and starter motor. The chances of these failing are slim. I would 100% say it's your starter motor however it can be tested at a local garage and you will know before you commit to having it changed.
Hope this helps

Phase 1 172
No mate for the simple reason that there is no relay that runs through or should I say that feeds the power to the starter motor. It's a simple battery to solonoid to the stater motor which is located usually between ignition barrel and starter motor. The chances of these failing are slim. I would 100% say it's your starter motor however it can be tested at a local garage and you will know before you commit to having it changed.
Hope this helps

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Power probe onto the small wire on the starter solenoid would confirm if its the starter,
also check engine/box to chassis earths (put a jump lead from battery negative terminal to the engine lifting eye).

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
I've just had mine replaced yesterday and Carl #bloke done a few checks before he replaced it and when it was out he also tested it with a battery. It must be a common job on them as I've had them replaced on last to cups,

dan's cast offs.
check earths and check you are getting 12v at the exciter when you turn the key, if all are ok then it's starter.

dan's cast offs.
on a ramp dead easy, on the floor pain in the bum i'd imagine!!

disconnect battery, drivers wheel off. main feed and exciter off the starter, pull heatshield back. three bolts holding starter on from gearbox side.

pull heatshield out, take starter out on drivers side, bit fiddly but easy enough.

Phase 1 172
No get a refurbished one either off ebay or from a local suplier. There are plenty of companies about that will do an exchange where you will give them your motor for them to refurb and they will give you a refurbished at a discounted price because of you giving them yours if all that makes sense??

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I had this exact thing happen to me - apart from the cup.
It turned out to be the spade terminal going in to the starter motor that had come off. It was re seated and the car fired straight up. Its located under the engine exhaust manifold.
Same thing as you , turn key and you get one click

6/468 17poo
I had this exact thing happen to me - apart from the cup.
It turned out to be the spade terminal going in to the starter motor that had come off. It was re seated and the car fired straight up. Its located under the engine exhaust manifold.
Same thing as you , turn key and you get one click

Is that viewed from the top or bottom? I really hope this is the fault!!!! and is it easy to get to?

The car has never struggled to start and has always been spot on too

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I was without tools when it happened to me , didnt know what the problem was so the AA man fixed mine. He did it all from the top. allowed the engine to cool and then went in.

location pic, its below the rope
IMG_1841.jpg

in the pic below its the top spade
Clio%20172%20182%20Starter%20Motor_zps2f1avztl.jpg

Is that viewed from the top or bottom? I really hope this is the fault!!!! and is it easy to get to?

The car has never struggled to start and has always been spot on too

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
mostly by feeling around and doing it blindly id imagine.