ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 16v Clio Big brakes

I own a 19 16v Phase 2 which I believe has the same hubs as the Phase 1 Clio 16v.

I was wondering if there are any cheap big brake conversions available for the diy mechanic. Is any one aware if any other renaults with bigger brakes and calipers can be made fit, even if new mounting bells need to be machined,

The reason for me asking is between me and my friends we hava already upgraded a few cars on a budget. A 16v golf was upgraded to 280mm audi discs using audi twin pots and a 25mm master cylinder. Also an 89 2.0 16v celica was upgraded to 300mm discs and 4 pots from the st220 (i think) the discs were origionally 330mm so they were machined down.

If anyone has attempted anything like this i would appreciate hearing from them, or if anyone has any inclings as to what might work.

(the reason for posting a different car is that i cannot find any active 19 forums in the uk):oops:

If your willing to make caliper mounts then ANY caliper that hasnt got too large a piston area will suffice.

Something like the laguna V6 calipers and discs can be adapted with mouting modifications.

anything is possible with work, but how much are you wanting to do, just bolt straight on?

Well of course bolt on would be the most convienient but with machining costs at around 15 per hour you can hardly justify not making your own ( with a little careful planning that is ).

Surely as the piston area is irrelavant as long as an appropriate master cyliner is also sourced. The balance of the car would be upset if the front is overbraked but that if not too large could be compensated with an adjustable bias valve or uprated rears.

Im very new to renaults so i know nothing and have found that the readly available knowledge i have been used to on golfs and classics is not available, there is probable a little lazyness on my part too.:oops:

Golfs and the entire VAG group have always had great interchangability and shared parts, much like for too.....but not ren so its all find out yourself and make it yourself.

PLus te renault aftermarket isnt as alive as dubs or the blue oval.

Mind you, now your saying changing the master cylinder is ok, then hell....get anything you want and run a bias valve after you remove the rear compensator.

But increase the front braking potential and increasing the rear isnt always what you want to do.....if your intending to make it round the nxt corner.

But if work isnt too much a problem go bonkers....some cheap 4 pots and 300 mil discs will be more than fine. If not and you want bolt on then Ktec have some big disc kits using the std calipers, or you can have some willwood 4 pots on std discs.