ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 MOT failed, advice please

Titanium ph1 turbo
MOT failed on ABS warning light (on the dash says ABS and SERV)...

Also on emissions, apparently too high on all tests.. guy in the garage couldn't plug into the computer as it was unavailable.. reckons maybe the CAT?

CO level = 5.91% (max allowed 0.2)
HC level = 328ppm (max allowed 200)
Lambda = 0.84 (min 0.97, max 1.03)

Any ideas roughly, are these common things or easy to fix?

​Cheers.

Last edited:
  Titanium ph1 turbo
£55 from Eurocarparts.. is it an easy job.. just plug connector and spanner it into the exhaust manifold?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
And smash your knuckles to bits getting the old one out, yeah.

Titanium ph1 turbo
Ok from what I've been reading, lambda sensors last between 30-50k miles and a low reading would cause the engine to run rich putting CO and HC levels through the roof (which appears to be the case here for me)...

Wonder if it's worth splashing £55 on a new sensor then and asking the garage to retest it... I've never changed a lambda sensor before, is it a bonnet job or under the car job?.. can anyone give me a brief overview of what's involved to change it?

​Thanks!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
look more like the engine was not up to temp than a faulty o2 sensor.
did you get a print out of the emissions? did they do two fast idle test then an idle test?
or did they just do a BET test?

​did it fail the idle test too?

Titanium ph1 turbo
look more like the engine was not up to temp than a faulty o2 sensor.
did you get a print out of the emissions? did they do two fast idle test then an idle test?
or did they just do a BET test?

​did it fail the idle test too?

Fast idle test #1
CO 5.91%
HC 328ppm
Lambda 0.84
FAIL

Fast idle test #2
CO 5.83%
HC 297ppm
Lambda 0.84
FAIL

Normal idle test
CO 0.17%
PASS

Guy at the garage said he'd got the engine up to running temp etc.. I reckon it's probably the lambda sensor too..

Titanium ph1 turbo
Cheers guys - to update on this, I bought a new pre-cat lambda sensor from Eurocarparts (Bosch, £55)... had it fitted by my local garage and bingo, emissions completely sorted!