ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PHASE 1 clio 172 , using oil

Clio 172 turbo
hi my clio ph 1 172 has started using oil, it has no blue smoke or leaks,, but when hard acceleration black smoke (fuel) can be seen, have to top up every 2 weeks, idles fine, no misfires, the engine has done 156,000 miles still pulls strong up 120mph! .. i use 10w40 oil !

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'd imagine at that sort of mileage it is just a tired engine and it's burning oil. How much are you having to top it up by? It is possible for it to be burning but not be visible to you as blue smoke, it will just depend on how much is being burnt.

Look at it like this, if the oil level is going down it's eaiter a) leaking or b) burning. It has to go somewhere.

Thinking about it - there is a third option of c) oil could be finding it's way into the coolant (in-laws pug 207 was recently doing this due to HG failure)

Clio 172 turbo
i can smell oil after hard acceleration i top up 1 liter bout every 1-2 weeks , bearing in mind this is not a daily car,.. i guess its tired engine

Clio 172 turbo
not sure if its mapped rev limit is 7500! had car for a year, only last 2 months been using oil

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on higher mileage and I hardly use any oil, last time I topped up was a few months ago and I use the car a lot. No smoke or anything under any kind of acceleration.
Have you checked underneath / removed the under tray thing to see if any of the chassis or other parts are covered in oil?