ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 to 182...

audi a6 3.0tdi
All RS owners have a complex lol, ph2 1*2 owners dont let 197 owners call a 197 an upgrade because its big. 197 owners probably wont see the 200 as an upgrade because its the same car but fugly and with an extra 3hp...

I just wouldn't have another cliosport unless they brought something super fantastic out, like an r26r style clio that had noticable improvement in performance and had no electronics on it. Its just not going to happen though so thats why i'll just stick with the phase 1.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its ugly.

You dont look at the outside or the wheels when you're driving either, doesn't stop you spending money on wheels/cleaning it etc.

Correct but then dont we all?

I didnt buy mine for a pretty dashboard tbh, dont know about everyone else.

It was purpose built for one thing, the engine. Everything else is b****cks

Ph1
After all this time your still completely defensive lol

In fact all ph1 owners seem to have a complex tbh.

Could have sworn it was the other way around going by the interest this topic seems to have shown from you haha ;)

Admit it, your just trying to pressure him into selling the car so you can get a cheap deal on the 'better' ph1 ;):rasp:

LY 200
No point in going to a 182. Other than being newer, they offer little else. The trophy however would be an upgrade, loved mine. The only clio i shouldn't of bought was the 182.

What aload of tosh.....I know you have varied opinions to i at the best of times but why was the 182 the only RS that was a mistake? Did you buy one minus the cup packs or in Arctic!? ;)

To be honest if the ph1 was a better car most (if not all) 182 drivers would buy one and stash the money left over in the bank.

Im not one for believing new is better as i wish i hadnt sold on my old valver turned hybrid all those years ago but after having dealings with ph1's i dont wish i had one of those instead of what i have now!

Clio 182 cup'd
I moved from a ph1 to a 182 with cup packs. Would never go back, 182 looks better, handles better, hasn't broke down, accelerator doesn't stick and it doesn't leak. Doesn't rattle as much. Maybe this was because the ph1 was alot older.

Only think I would say is that the ride is alot harder in the 182, but thats to be expected I guess.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I moved from a ph1 to a 182 with cup packs. Would never go back, 182 looks better, handles better, hasn't broke down, accelerator doesn't stick and it doesn't leak. Doesn't rattle as much. Maybe this was because the ph1 was alot older.

Only think I would say is that the ride is alot harder in the 182, but thats to be expected I guess.

You must have the 182 "Placebo" Edition :rolleyes:

Yes the dash isn't great in the phase 1 but if your into that sort of thing your looking at the wrong car. There a many more annoying flaws that they still hadn't rectified in the last of the 182's, s**t driving position, bus steering wheel, non retracting drivers seat belt, need I go on!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yes the dash isn't great in the phase 1 but if your into that sort of thing your looking at the wrong car. There a many more annoying flaws that they still hadn't rectified in the last of the 182's, s**t driving position, bus steering wheel, non retracting drivers seat belt, need I go on!

+1

Its not exactly the main flaw amongst it tbf!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not over the ....*Deep Breath*....

~ Electrics
~ Seating Position
~ General Build + Materials that are used
~ Soft Metal that seems to dent at the slightest gust of wind

There are plenty of things that could have been 10 times better. But theres a time when your driving and everything is working nothing is rattling and your generally enjoying it. Those 5-10 minutes are sacred!!! lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Lol at the ph1 owners.

Im not even going to comment as iv not drove a ph1 172 but i dont know where this bus steering wheel thing has come from :S its not even big.

LY 200
One thing i hate is the space ship steering wheel but then id rather be looking at a 182 one than a ph1 one! ;)

Lol at the ph1 owners.

Im not even going to comment as iv not drove a ph1 172 but i dont know where this bus steering wheel thing has come from its not even big.

Drive something else, I had a Fiesta Zetec S for a few weeks, steering wheel was the perfect size.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Drive something else, I had a Fiesta Zetec S for a few weeks, steering wheel was the perfect size.
I have driven fiestas' evo's subarus and vauxhalls.

There is nothing wrong with the steering wheel. IMO.

Is it because Clarkson said it and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^I agree'd with you about the ph2 steering wheels until I sold it and got my Suzuki, which maybe has a smaller wheel than most and the difference was massive, and much nicer in my Iggy (imo).

172 /megane cab
I went from Ph1 172 to FF 182.

You'll miss the throttle response, and the fact it feels so raw.

You'll miss little else, despite what the rose-tinted Ph1 owners tell you.

a few say that about throttle response think its what i want to do next change the tb to a ph1

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Have to disagree, having owned them all. The 182 grips harder, mainly due to the tyres and stiffer set up, but the ph1 as standard is a better handler. Easier to get the tail out, less understeer. The trophy is just far better than all other rs's though.

Less understeer?!!! I can see the tail happy bit - Certainly the ph1 172 might be described as being more fun due to being softer. Maybe a bit more adjustable as a result (I have no idea about that because I didn't push them that hard, and I'm an average driver lol)

I'd bet that a 182 Cup/Cup pack would go round track quicker than a ph1 172.
I think the grip answers that!
What aload of tosh.....I know you have varied opinions to i at the best of times but why was the 182 the only RS that was a mistake? Did you buy one minus the cup packs or in Arctic!? ;)

To be honest if the ph1 was a better car most (if not all) 182 drivers would buy one and stash the money left over in the bank.

Im not one for believing new is better as i wish i hadnt sold on my old valver turned hybrid all those years ago but after having dealings with ph1's i dont wish i had one of those instead of what i have now!
182cup. Slower than my ph2 172 (the fella that bought it will confirm this). No-one has said the ph1 is a better car. But it is more fun, adjustable, faster, more responsive, lighter. All desirable to me.
2nd point is nonsense. An e46 330ci is a better car than a 197, and cheaper, yet people still buy the more expensive RS. Car buying is rarely rational.

clio trophy No56
Get a Trophy, once you drive it hard nothing else about it matters, yes the interior is a bit papa, appart for the Recaros, but my god they can go around a corner, fast!!!
I used to own a 182 which i thought was mint but the Trophy can carry much more speed around a corner, 15mph+.
I do like the ph1's, if i had 7k spare i would buy a ph1 and a GTI6, again!!
Would never sell the Trophy though!

172 Race Car

Drive a standard 172/182 with just a 330mm steering wheels and you will understand.

Im not on the 'Clarkson bandwagon' Its my opinion having driven lots of clios with standard and different size aftermarket wheels

LY 200
182cup. Slower than my ph2 172 (the fella that bought it will confirm this). No-one has said the ph1 is a better car. But it is more fun, adjustable, faster, more responsive, lighter. All desirable to me.
2nd point is nonsense. An e46 330ci is a better car than a 197, and cheaper, yet people still buy the more expensive RS. Car buying is rarely rational.

Haha....You'd obviously argue white is black and black is white tbh!

Did you ever think the 182 you had,a dodgy engine? Plenty of french performance cars right through from the old Valvers, VTS's, 106's etc that varied!

The beemer comment is also nonsence as they are totally differnet cars and somebody who is looking for a newish/cheap weekend 'road go-kart' such as myself wouldnt go for a 330 as it doesnt fit that bill at all and i know this because my pal had a convertible for a few years!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Maybe so, or perhaps Renault actually built a better car? Did you think of that?

Yes but sadly it isn't the case. In standard form the 182 is not better at negociating corners at speed than a Phase 1.

Straightline speed is the same.

So what number of the Placebo Edition is yours?

Clio 182 cup'd
Yes but sadly it isn't the case. In standard form the 182 is not better at negociating corners at speed than a Phase 1.

Straightline speed is the same.

So what number of the Placebo Edition is yours?

How do you know this? have you taken them both round a track in the same conditions and proven it?

Surely a 182 with cup packs would handle pretty much the same as a 172 cup? Which on here appears to be a God like creation.

And I may be wrong, but a 182 without cup packs, has the same setup as a standard 172? So what difference would there be, other than wheel size?

With regards to straight line speed there is so little in it, its not worth mentioning. Depends on the engine as they seem to all have differing performance.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How do you know this? have you taken them both round a track in the same conditions and proven it?

Surely a 182 with cup packs would handle pretty much the same as a 172 cup? Which on here appears to be a God like creation.

And I may be wrong, but a 182 without cup packs, has the same setup as a standard 172? So what difference would there be, other than wheel size?

With regards to straight line speed there is so little in it, its not worth mentioning. Depends on the engine as they seem to all have differing performance.

I agree.

Well the phase 1 is putting up a fight, back box dropped off on the way home today!
Picked it up and stuck it in the boot, sounds fapping mint now!

Mini Cooper S sport
TBH if I had a Ph1 172, and was thinking of changing, I'd wait for the Clio 200 and get that.

If money's an issue I'd have a FF 182 or Trophy.

Lots of Alfas
Who cares which is better, its like comparing a Spitfire mk1a to a Spitfire mkVb.

Have a look at some and see if you can have a test drive, they are not that different. Your 172mk1 is due its 2nd cambelt, I would have thought that some/most 182s will be due their first and their original backboxes will be dropping off by now.

P.S. The Clio Williams is better than all of them. ;)

53 Clio's & counting
My 10ps worth, just for the hell of it :)

Iv done 30k in my ph1, and my mate has a 182 non cup, but with both cup packs, that iv done a fair few miles in, so on these two here's my opinion:

The 182 rides better. it feels more comfy, and it does feel alot lighter on the steering. The higher speed ride is good, but a tad under damped.

My 172 is a bit stiffer, and isn't as comfy, but feel is better, you feel more connected to the road than in the 182.

This is what i think the difference is. For most drivers the 182 wont feel any different, maybe even a bit better as it feels a bit 'newer', you don't notice the bumps as much and it still it feels fast.

The 172 feels more connected, and due to it being a bit more (i hate to use the word) raw (read raw as older and not as comfy) it gets the vote for being the better to drive,especially as the cable throttle is alot nicer than FBW throttle.
Its all the little things that add up that makes a difference.

For the average driver the 182 will be better, for the ones who prefere being more connected and can take advantage of that extra 'feel' then the 172's the choice.
But then again if you can sacrafice the extra comfort then get a williams, iv had a hybrid and that feels even better than the 172

I love driving my mates 182, really nice, but im never sorry to get back into my 172, in fact i look forward to it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Fail. hard big and melty.

Best wheels i've had would be either the 197, or my Punto GT.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

It doesn't have the same set-up, the 182 has a different set-up, even without cup-packs.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
182 is more stable than a ph1. Most people seem to like that, I don't, personal preference. I prefer a 'twitchier' set-up. I'd love a Trophy and a 306 rallye in the garage.