ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase1 172 - sticky throttlebody - not the question(s) you are thinking!

GTxx + ph1 Clio 172
Hello all!

I'm Jim, I bought my better half an early, W plate, Clio 172 a couple of years ago and have been a lurker here for a while.
Had a bunch of the usual faults so far, which has made me very much appreciate my japanese cars! lol!
I am quite 'into' cars/motobikes and engines in general and faff about a lot eith them in my spare time, my current toy is a 209hp/177lbft Daihatsu Charade GTxx (heavily modified, turbo charged 993cc 3pot)

Anyway, back to the Clio - the throttlebody is playing up yet again.

My first question is:-
Has anybody replaced the throttlebody itself with a better designed item from another car? (like a dellorto from a lotus elise, or a midto late 90's toyota throttle body?)
I am thinking about just junking the Renault item, and the throttle cable (with poorly designed cable holder etc) and fitting something altogether better engineered (and maybe one with a throttle damper, to give the pathetic and slow idle control valve a chance when the throttle is snapped shut when coming to a halt).

My second question is (and I'm asking through pure lazyness, as I have just moved house and I am reluctant to dig through all the boxes in the garage to dig out the multimeter and micrometer):-
Does anyone know the open and shut values of the TPS and what is the internal diameter of the throttlebody?  :)
I have a box of 6 or 7 different types and I already stuck thier TPS values to them.<br>If someone can advise me, that would be fantastic!
Next, new engine mounts, tyres and getting the tracking set!&nbsp;

cheers all!

J :)

Ph 1 172
It don't really answer your questions mate but there is a guide on here on how to strip the TB Down as the spring gets clogged up which causes the sticking

GTxx + ph1 Clio 172
Thanks for the reply dom.

Yes, I can see the spring gets nasty, it was when I got it for her (and it's a bit weak too).
I pulled it off to clean it and inspect it when we first got it home and noticed that due to poor design the shaft moves and wears the (unbushed) housing and the throttle plate starts to catch/rub etc, so rather than waste my time on rebuilding it properly, with a new shaft, bushings/bearing, rebore and a new knife-edged plate etc etc, I'd rather just replace it with something better that I probably have laying around. :)

I can't get into the guides section anyway, as I haven't paid to join the club.
In all honesty, as I have both time and financial commitments to other clubs, I'm not likely to, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew or had done it.

On another now, I may be buying katie another car, so will turn the car into an occasional track toy.
A quick engine rebuild, a few poly bushes, fit a limited-slip differential in the gearbax, bolt on some thicker anti roll bars and a supercharger first I think!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Change the throttle cable.

Also, get some pics up of the Charade IMMEDIATELY !!!! Is that a Jap one ? I had a UK GTti before my old Clio ! :eek:

GTxx + ph1 Clio 172
Change the throttle cable.

Also, get some pics up of the Charade IMMEDIATELY !!!! Is that a Jap one ? I had a UK GTti before my old Clio ! :eek:

lol! Yes, that's a jap import, just a GTti with aircon and powersteering basically - I've had lots of GTti's over the years (was in Retro Cars a few years back with one) and other Charades (like a type G201 DeTomaso).

I'll get some proper pics up later, but for now, here's a couple from before I started butchering it!

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/jimac_gtti/GTxx/

p.s. the throttle cable is fine. I had fitted a new one in the first place as the original was frayed and routed incorrectly.