ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phat wire compared to thin wire!

Audi S3 225

I went to halfords and bought a few meters of this real chunky speaker wire for my 6*9s and my sub. Because at the mo, they are running of the amp kits wires which aint that much thicker than string!

What improvements will I get from phatter speaker wire? My Infinity 6*9s are running of a 500 watt amp and my Pioneer 12 inch sub running of a 600 watt amp. I have a set of pioneer 13cm in my front doors and a set of pioneer 13cm in my back doors along with my Sony tweeters and Sony 4x52 watt head unit. All using standard or thin wire, should I do a day job and replace all the wiring with real phat stuff?

Any help will be appreciated.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

erm well its a bit of a grey area this one

i swear by oxygen free cable (ofc) which is slightly bigger than crappy bell wire that most speakers come with

Its all about heat and resistance.

The thinner wire will break before it becomes a hazard and goes up in flames, the fat stuff on the otherhand may just heat up and set fire to your car (worst case scenario) so there is actually a reason its thin ;)

Tony

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

well...i think that the main difference is the resistance. Obviously smaller thinner has a greater resistance, and thicker wire has a smaller resistance. This means that the thicker the wire the smaller the impedence so theorecrtically, the more clarity in the sound. This is because there is less resistance and therefore more umph coming out of the speakers. But i think, the difference is so small that ur only hear the quality change on a very good quality setup