ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone insurance

Honda & VW
Just got the new 5 and selected the cover @ £12.99 as wanted it covered the minute I left the store.
A mate of mine has got his iPhone and mac covered with Protectyourbubble and its much cheaper than £12.99, just for the phone its like £5.99 I think.

Last time I spoke with my Bank Manager she said about upgrading our account to receive travel/phone insurance and breakdown cover for a set amount a month, might go back and have another chat as wanting to change breakdown

interested to hear who people are using and what sort of level of cover along with prices....?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
From what I have read, protect your bubble doesn't seem all that? Could be wrong though.

Mine is with whoever Phones4u deal with. It was £9.99 in store when I took it out, rang up said I wanted to cancel it, reduced it too £5.99 :) Covers loss too!

Honda & VW
Oh really, may do a bit of research on PYB then, to be fair for the first 12 months Apple have things sorted (apart from loss obviously) so in a way its semi-pointless until after a year

When I was looking for insurance I found protect your bubble to be s**t too. Cant remember exactly because it was 2 years ago. Didn't cover for some things which I expected to be included. Maybe personal loss from memory.

When recently getting insurance for my Mrs' new phone, after a lot of searching and swearing I found Insureandgo to offer the best deal. They do 3 or 4 levels of cover for phone insurance. Hers cost £64 a year but covers everything (think it was gold cover) and had the most reasonable excess. There was a level up, platinum I think but it wasn't worth the extra cost in my opinion. So try that company.

I found this site to be very helpful and it pointed me in the right direction to find me cover:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance

Oh forgot to mention. I have a current account plus with Barclays Bank, its £6.50 a month but gives me phone insurance and extended warranty on household electrical items when purchased new. As you said, you could go for the bigger package with your bank. Barclays do it too for around £15-£20 if I remember correctly. Includes phone insurance, travel insurance and breakdown cover. Ideal if you need all three.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Read the details very carefully when comparing.
Most of the insurers now will pay only the 2nd hand value of the phone less the excess, so you only stand to get back about half the total value, still better than nothing though of course

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Mines covered through my bank. If anything happens, I get a direct replacement.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

New for old?

Mine is with my bank, and if anything happens I get a direct replacement, but that being a refurbed/secondhand phone, and in the small print they say if they dont have any, they will pay market value instead.
And less your excess of course.

So I reckon if I lose my 4S, I will be lucky to actually see 200 quid back.

Audi A3
water damaged my 4s in white

got sent a black one, rang back unhappy

got £383 to buy one

with my bank too.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Can you get temporary cover?

I don't have insurance but want to take my iPhone up on the ski slopes.

mine is as well , and Lloyds cover 2 phones , couple that to an annual travel policy with full winter sports cover , and top end AA cover (think thats worth 200 quid these days) and bank accounts with monthly charges make one hell of a lot of sense

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
mine is as well , and Lloyds cover 2 phones , couple that to an annual travel policy with full winter sports cover , and top end AA cover (think thats worth 200 quid these days) and bank accounts with monthly charges make one hell of a lot of sense

Thats who mine is with, Lloyds Platinum account.

Its a secondhand phone or the value of a secondhand phone they give you. (less your excess in both cases)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
New for old?

Mine is with my bank, and if anything happens I get a direct replacement, but that being a refurbed/secondhand phone, and in the small print they say if they dont have any, they will pay market value instead.
And less your excess of course.

So I reckon if I lose my 4S, I will be lucky to actually see 200 quid back.

Yes, I get a direct replacement. The down side is that my gadgets and phones are only covered unto 2 years from purchase. So my iPhone 4 for example is no longer covered.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
mines the premier account but the only difference looks to be mine covers 2 phones over your 1 ,

my experience was they paid out for the cost of a replacement phone when i had 1 written off (2 years ago)and the model was discontinued , and the other time i had a full repair

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/mobile_phone_breakdown1.asp

you also don't need to give them the iemi number any more to register the phone

Its 2 phones on the platinum too if its a joint account.

Yes they used to give you a new phone, now its a reconditioned one though, I phoned them up and asked them only a few months ago to confirm as thats how it was presented in the paperwork now.

So nowhere near as good cover as it used to be.

Its 2 phones on the platinum too if its a joint account.

Yes they used to give you a new phone, now its a reconditioned one though, I phoned them up and asked them only a few months ago to confirm as thats how it was presented in the paperwork now.

So nowhere near as good cover as it used to be.

havn't had need to claim for a bit ...... can't say i have seen an update to the t's and c's on that one , but would not put it past them , as it was bloody good in the past ..... AA is spot on though and travel insurance has been brilliant , paid out for another weeks holiday without hassle (as in paid the hotel direct) when the wife got chicken pox

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive not claimed on the travel insurance, but the collected deal on AA/travel/phone is pretty good value, they cover my mrs for travel too.

Although I have ADAC cover anyway as the AA wont cover at the ring, but at least this way I dont ever need to use ADAC in this country and wind them up claiming lots, cause if I have an issue I'll just use the free AA instead :)

I just pay the extra for the operators insurance. Im with EE, and tbh I've had a few claims with them, and other than the excess being a little pricey (£50) i got a new ophone within 8 hours delievered to my house. can't complain IMO.

Ive not claimed on the travel insurance, but the collected deal on AA/travel/phone is pretty good value, they cover my mrs for travel too.

Although I have ADAC cover anyway as the AA wont cover at the ring, but at least this way I dont ever need to use ADAC in this country and wind them up claiming lots, cause if I have an issue I'll just use the free AA instead :)

we don't have ADAC now as we used to have both when living between here and germany , adac is getting more problomatic for uk residents now from what i have been told by the few people i know who use it .... fine when you have german bank accounts and addreses

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
we don't have ADAC now as we used to have both when living between here and germany , adac is getting more problomatic for uk residents now from what i have been told by the few people i know who use it .... fine when you have german bank accounts and addreses

Problematic in what way? They were perfectly happy to cover me from a UK address.

2 people telling me they have made it harder , and one who called them out in the uk (he only has adac cover) only got taken to a local garage unlike he had before , they seem to have massively cracked down on covering in the uk ....

they will cover but have made the process much harder , yours may be easier if just a straight renewal.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
2 people telling me they have made it harder , and one who called them out in the uk (he only has adac cover) only got taken to a local garage unlike he had before , they seem to have massively cracked down on covering in the uk ....

they will cover but have made the process much harder , yours may be easier if just a straight renewal.

Interesting, TBH though its only cover in germany I care about (well and to and from in belgium etc) rather than the UK side of things anyway as like I said I have AA for that.

My cover quite clearly states onwards travel not just local garage.