ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photographers - Overcast?

VaVa
I'm off to Malta for a mates wedding on Tuesday (don't ask lol) and I've been keeping my eye on the weather. Looks pretty set that it's going to be dul and overcast if the weather stays as is.

Anybody got any tips/advice for shooting on overcast/dull days?

I usually just try not to shoot much sky if it's bland, and then tweak in PS afterwards. Overcast is usually a nice even light for close up/portrait stuff but I'd quite like to try and get some landscape stuff while I'm there.

Just wondered what some of the better snappers on here do.

VaVa
:(

Sadly not. Is on the list of things to buy. When I bought my DSLR I never thought I'd get to the point where I'd become limited due to lack of gear. But it's happening lol.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
P.S. For overcast landscapes, you could always try a slightly longer exposure to get a little more light in, or change the WB to cloudy/shade?

Just have a play with the settings, that's what I do mate

Revels Mum & Sister
As he said longer exposure but then you might need a tripod or something to steady it on so you can keep a smaller aperture.

Or shoot at sunrise/sunset dude.

Or expose for the sky and then take another shot exposing for the terrain, then chop the two together

VaVa
P.S. For overcast landscapes, you could always try a slightly longer exposure to get a little more light in, or change the WB to cloudy/shade?

Just have a play with the settings, that's what I do mate

Yeeah, I'll have a play. I'm just dreading the white sky syndrome. lol.

VaVa
As he said longer exposure but then you might need a tripod or something to steady it on so you can keep a smaller aperture.

Or shoot at sunrise/sunset dude.

Well I'll be tied by the times of the wedding tbh... I just want to take some decent pictures for my mate tbh as they're not having an official photographer.

I'll give it my best shot lol

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
get a gold bounce board for the wedding shots... landscapes just use longer exposure... tbh malta is never really that overcast, my parents had a house there for ages and i never saw a dull day really not even in winter... where you going in malta?

For overcast landscape I'd use longer exposures, specially if your around the sea but requires a decent tripod. Theres always graduated neutral density filters but thats fiddly and takes some time to learn..

I'd pick up a flash, fast prime or portable tripod...