ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Trailed this today when walking round, not sure what I was doing wrong but I took about 200 blurry photos cause the camera was setting the shutter closed for between half a second and about 8 seconds, couldn't keep my hand Steady

It must have been extremely dark or you didnt have the ISO on auto?
I probably should have just said stick to f/3.5 instead of mentioning f/8.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think I've rediscovered my photo mojo, Piers hence thinking about the camera for the first time in months. Think I'll sell the 55 250 as it seems pointless us both having the same lens, but will keep the body and kit lens.

Is Talk Photography still the best place to sell lenses these days?
You might only get a bit for your lens on there as I think they are quite hot on prices with their selling.

Glad you have your mojo back!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've put both the 55 250 and a spare kit lens up for sale so fingers crossed!
How much you after for the 55-250 ? Is that the Canon IS one..? Think I had that one back in the day (not much if anything else starts at 55mm?)..

Friend's just got a 450D as his first SLR .. I'll pass the details on....

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
As for this section going quiet - I don't know why it has.. The whole site has gone quiet since the revamp.

I'm as guilty as the next person for being quiet these days, but I don't use the camera much any more. Things I do post don't get more than a 'like' or two, so I wonder what the point is ? I'm not after Intuhnet Points but without any feedback on things, it seems almost pointless. Even if someone said ' that's the worst photo I've ever seen ' at least it's feedback haha !

Other thing I've realised is I get half decent pics on my phone.. I barely bother with the SLR even if I'm going somewhere.

Half tempted to sell up but I'd never get back close to what I put in, so seems a pointless exercise also. Plus I'd only go and do something stupid like buy a better camera the week after then regret not having any kit haha !

330Ci cab
I haven't used CS for a while, tend to stick with the E46 forum, but I do read a thread or two now and again.

I've bought 2 lenses recently, a 50mm 1.7f minolta, and a 35-105mm 3.5-4.5 minolta (came with a polarised filter) i have a sony A58, recently took the 50 to Edinburgh with me for the 2 days I was there. I really need to get out more with the camera in general, and this year I'm going to aim to use a processing software of some description and see how I get on.

Probably be disastrous haha

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Like you say, the whole place has gone quiet recently.
I remember when I first joined it was very busy in most sections. I know people move on from forums but this place seems to have gone very quiet very quickly.
Hopefully with the comps being featured on the main page there will be more traffic through this section and more posting.

As for selling your gear, don't. I guarantee you will regret it!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm joining a photography course Wednesday coming , beginners class for 10 weeks, once a week for 2 hours. Haven't really used my camera properly for a long time now and hoping this course will spark some ideas.

I wouldn't mind a new lens ideally for portrait / close ups. As for me i don't get out much at all with the camera i really should take it with me way more times

Last edited:
How much you after for the 55-250 ? Is that the Canon IS one..? Think I had that one back in the day (not much if anything else starts at 55mm?)..

Friend's just got a 450D as his first SLR .. I'll pass the details on....
It is the Canon IS one, yes.
To be honest, I bought new and have barely used it so it's like new and it'd be a good buy for him.
I'd take £80 for it.

I agree that the whole place is quieter, but this week seems to have seen a bit more traffic. I'm as guilty as anyone given that I barely used the camera last year so basically stopped posting on the Photography section at all! Trying to get better in 2015.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Looking for some rolling shot tips please? :)

I don't have a rig or anything like that so I'll be using the panning technique. How fast should I ensure the subject car is moving? - I tried some on a recent shoot but struggled to get the car as sharp and clear as I wanted, and I'm not sure if it was because the subject car was moving too quickly?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
My Dad is after a basic Canon DSLR will be his first big camera. I was thinking a Canon 1000D. Is that a good choice. I have a 500D and don't want to spend that much money.

Also for my camera i'll be wanting a basic cleaning kit but a good make too. Any suggestions. It's already been cleaned by a Canon dealer 2 years ago but now it's got dust/dirt on the lens

Last edited:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Just had a look Curry's are doing a 1200D for £269 with 18-55mm lens, could be a possibility

That looks like a good deal to me. The 1200 has plenty of good features and would be a great camera to learn a lot of photography skills with.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah seems to be cheaper than Amazon on that. Going to show the 500D to my Dad see what he thinks on that style of camera. He's normally used to the smaller cameras.

Just a curios question how much second had would a 500D be, i could ask him he could have mine and i could get a new upgrade

I'd have a look on Talk Photography classifieds as there are often Canon cameras of all kinds on there. I've had my 550D for a few years now, but I'm honestly not sure how much it's worth these days!

No worries! I managed to sell my spare kit lens on scumtree today, but I'm getting sick of the numpties and their daft offers on there. Had someone offer me 25 quid including me paying postage on a lens I advertised for 60 quid! Er, no thanks!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Lens guru... :)

I'm looking to get another lens some time this year, I will be using it mainly be for Automotive work and I was thinking about a wide-angle lens - Anything anyone can recommend?

(It's for a Nikon D3000 by the way.)

That 1200d looks great bargain! I'm tempted!

I used to own a Nikon D5100, do regret selling it. Never got into photography as such, but still enjoyed some nice pictures with it!

I sold due to wanting something more portable for holidays etc. But still wanted quality shots. Started looking at compact systems, was going to buy the top spec all singing.
A Samsung one was on offer with a tablet and lightroom, which I was also looking to buy at the time, for £300 so thought I'd try it out. If it's crap I just sell it!
4d3ea4edb144cdcf2c7dbfce51eca5f2.jpg

Slight size difference!
Camera produces decent shots, purchased a pancake lens too, but it's handling is awful compared to d5100. Just awkward to adjust anything etc.
Its a Nx1100 camera. Don't have a Flickr account to load decent quality pictures....
809821a5651a4e69560861b2736361b1.jpg

409615a62f8690c9ecb6514af15b0c6d.jpg

64aec490a69a7d987aeb6e0f7bf5b356.jpg

All taken free hand, no tripods. Quite good in low light with pancake lens.

1200d come recommended on here by anyone? I'm not an experienced photographer by any means, so this would suffice for a novice like myself?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Think the 1200D would be a ideal starting DSLR, it does seem a good spec for price.

I'm doing a course and this weeks homework is Composition, what will I need to look for as a noob?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah this weeks honework is Composition, need to take some shots using Exposure Compensation too.

Been down to a local park before dark settled in shooting away. Be down to another park tomorrow too.

Just got my hands on Photoshop Elements, what basic steps can I use to enhance my pics?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Depends whats wrong with them ?
Like asking what clothes to wear without knowing what you're going to be doing in them :tongueout:

Why do you need to take shots with exp.comp on !?

It was just a thought, nothing in particular just to make the pic sharper, glossy sort of thing. I know when i look at the other thread "I like it thread" you can tell they been edited.
In class we've been told to use this function as all of us haven't used it before and yesterday was the first time i used it. I prob wouldn't of never used it with out of knowing about it. I t was just to see how it effects the photo, had to take one or two shots on 0 -1 -2 +1 +2 that sort of thing. We need to take some pics to class and show them on a projector and talk.

Only just 2 sessions in the class really.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Are you shooting full manual or in Av/Tv still ?
Post up some examples...
Host them with flickr as most other places just eat them with crap compression.

As for making them sharper or pop more.. Again, what is it, what do you want it to look like etc.... Only you can know that.

Composition is important.. But getting the pic sharp is a combination of shutter speed, aperture and ISO.. but also some lenses are sharper than others.

Sorry for sounding vague .. But until you pop some examples up I'm pissing in the wind here haha !

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Are you shooting full manual or in Av/Tv still ?
Post up some examples...
Host them with flickr as most other places just eat them with crap compression.

As for making them sharper or pop more.. Again, what is it, what do you want it to look like etc.... Only you can know that.

Composition is important.. But getting the pic sharp is a combination of shutter speed, aperture and ISO.. but also some lenses are sharper than others.

Sorry for sounding vague .. But until you pop some examples up I'm pissing in the wind here haha !

Been told we should be using AV mode for a while, also i've been shooting in RAW and haven't found it easy to settle into e.g. trying to get them onto Flickr. I believe i need to get them into jpeg but no idea how too.

Since i'm kind of new to this photography i might go back to using jpeg as before, shooting in RAW is much better for editing and such but i think it's a faf on at this stage for me any way

Has anyone ever exhibited photos?

I'm thinking of doing so but they want a fee to exhibit and 50% commission of any sales. This seems pretty high to me. I should also add that the cost of prints is my pesponsibility so it seems they make more than I would from any sales.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Went out with my camera again this weekend, starting getting use to the settings a little. Starting to enjoy it like, I've posted up some pics on Flickr on on the other thread. Nothing great as only a noob but more practice I'll get there

Looks like a good camera for someone right there!

I've now sold my kit lens and 55 250 in the last couple of weeks. Both were duplicates as my wife also has them for her 600d. Still feels odd now only have a body and a 10 22 wide angle lens for it!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hey Guys i have a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4x Teleconverter for Canon for sale if anyone is interested?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well I made a voting thread but it didn't get featured for a couple of days and overlapped the time to vote.
You won one and Piers won the other iirc. I didn't know who was sorting the new ones out, it had been Fatty for a while, I thought he would make a new thread with the winners etc and sort who was choosing the next theme.
Its all gone a bit tits up in the photography section recently 😧

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Just added two of these to my bag!! Can't wait to get out and shoot now, next wedding can't come quick enough!
10968507_10204539800628588_3741624340008886688_n.jpg

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Thought I would drop this one in here.
It seem the AutoFocus motor on my Cannon 18-55 lens has given up. It is just the standard kit lens that I got when I bought my 550D several years ago.
Was after some advice if it was worth seeing about fixing it or just getting a replacement lens?