ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pink Cup racer's first rally.!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Well it was my first rally in the Pink Yozzasport Clio at Anglesey on the 13th April. It all started with the last minutes prep on the car the week before with everything done apart from the water temp gauge (that turned out to be a frustrating future story) and then all loaded up and ready to go.

We headed off for Angelsey on the Saturday afternoon as scruitineering was in the afternoon the day before the event. I must admit I was a bit nervous as it was the first rally for the car and didn’t want any silly issues with the car at scruitineering so the car couldn’t run.

We arrived in good time and got the car off the trailer started he up and off to noise testing. Went through noise testing no problems but it’s not the nosiest of cars, now off to scruitineering. The weather had been mixed in the morning and just before we arrived for the scruitineer it started to lash it down. So after 5 mins of looking at the car and check the paperwork, suits and helmet getting piss wet through we had passed with no questions/issues.!!! Signed on and got the stage maps and proceeded to do a circuit reccie. They stages where quite long and lots of splits and merges that if you c**k up your out the rally. After walking the circuit I have to say the new track is awesome, far better than Oulton (which is one of my favourites)Prob the best in the country now.

Right with the car all sorted it was time to get some food and a beer. Well we ended up with local fish and chip and then had to get back in time as the gates to the venue closed at 7pm and we were sleeping in the car (5 star Audi luxury). One thing to note if you do any events at the new Angelsey it has an on site bar and when we asked what time do your closed we got greeted with whenever everyone leaves.!!! Well 6 Magners later we decided to call it a day and get some sleep. Weather, well what can I say it absolutely pissed it down for at least a couple of hours but we eventually got to sleep.

6am Sunday was woken up to the sound of pitter patter of rain on the windscreen, great.!!!! First event never drove the car before, loads of friends coming to watch and lots of rain, mmmmm feeling a bit nervous. Anyways just after 6am my co-driver arrived as he couldn’t come down the night before and went through the stage maps with him, better get this right as there lot of opportunity to c**k it right up!!..

Right intermediates on and everything checked and ready to go.!!

Stage 1 & 2 – very tricky and wet, 2nd chicane brake brake lock up, s**t tyres or grass tyres or grass. Grass it is.! After the first stage which was a bit fraught, after that it was all neat and tidy.

Stage 3 & 4 – dry in places still on inters (worked very very well) neat and tidy but had a slight miss fire on some of the later corners of the stages, mmmmm

Stages 5 & 6 – getting dry now but the tyres were not overheating so stayed on the inters. Really starting to put in some good times and really enjoying it but the misfire was back.!!!!

Stages 7 & 8 – really flying now but the misfire was there still and seemed to be on left tight hand corners. We really wanted to finish, that was my aim not stage times but before the stage start of the last stage (
icon_cool.gif
the car would not start.!!! s**t, turned it over 3/4 times but would not kick in.!! On the 5th time just before the battery gave up it kicked into life.!!! Get to the start and after a bit of pushing in we started the stage.!! Last stage was wicked really good stage but the misfire was back in force again left hand corners.!!!!

We finished the final stage and what a relief, it was always the real objective of the weekend as well as get a feel for the car. I have to say I have driven a lot of cars and the cup racers are really good, the std brakes lasted all day after some serious abuse (although im sure they will need bleeding, the engine pulls well, in the dry it got lots of grip considering it hasn’t got an LSD (will do soon thought!) but the best bit was the handling. Everyone says they are really twitchy but with the spare wheel fitted and ½ tank of fuel it was really well balanced, very impressed.

Need to investigate the misfire but seems to be fuel surge and the other cup owner seem to have the same issue. No really identified cure apart from running the tank full for the next event. Why wouldn’t the car start before the last stage who knows – fuel evaporation as the car was very hot ? Things to work on.

Next event is this weekend at 3 sisters Sunday 4th May, may see some of you there.

Big thanks to Yozza @ Yozzasport for the help getting the car all sorted before the event.

_MG_6544.jpg

_MG_6245.jpg

P1010048.jpg

Bit of footage from the girlies, excuse the comentry.!!

http://yozzasport.co.uk/upload/evogone/anglesey_13th_april/

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks wicked, sounds like you had a good time! Gave me something to read at 8am too!

It wouldnt be quite as "quirky" if little things didnt go wrong... it just makes you love it all the more!

Lionel Richie
well done mate, i still say thats the best car i've ever driven! you got an adjustable bias valve on board?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
No, i could push my foot down as hard as i could (in the dry) and couldnt get the wheel to lock once the tryes were warm. Alcons will be fitted soon.

Just need to get rid of the misfire and she will be a belter.!!!

Lionel Richie
the only problem i found with it was it had too much front camber and too much front bias, heavy braking made the rear wag its tail which was scary!

check the injector wires as it was running on 3 when hippy first bought it

it could do limiter in 4th round the left hander at bruntingthorpe and not get surge, ask yoz about the red saxo with the swirl pot at jwa

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
the only problem i found with it was it had too much front camber and too much front bias, heavy braking made the rear wag its tail which was scary!

check the injector wires as it was running on 3 when hippy first bought it

it could do limiter in 4th round the left hander at bruntingthorpe and not get surge, ask yoz about the red saxo with the swirl pot at jwa

Front camber is spot on, getting equal tyre wear at the front and turns in a treat. Not had the issue with the twitchy rear at all but i have to carry a spare tyre in the boot so that weighs a bit. Braking is the same no twitchyness, lets see what the Alcon do to that though when they go on next month.!

Injector wires seem ok, can never replicate it on the road. Its the only issue i have with the car other than that it great.