ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pioneer Speakers

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got these fitted in there 172/182?.
Seem pretty good replacement.

Pioneer TS-G133i

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/ts-g1333i

243C1339-0ECB-471F-868A-F6629CE7529C.jpeg
220CBFF9-38DC-494D-AF3B-2B424A09D579.jpeg

Listerine & Poledo
As rears, maybe. As fronts, they'd be a downgrade, unless you're also going to drop money into an amplifier, sound deadening and component front speakers, you'll get nearly zero tangible difference.

A better use of money would be a small, underseat subwoofer. Nothing chavvy, just enough to fill out what the stock speakers can't do (and, in fairness, what those speakers wouldn't manage either). Lose no cabin or boot space, and can be taken to your next car too if you wanted. Something like THIS.

All this said, if you're still using the stock head unit, any spend on speakers, subs, amps or other, is pointless.

Listerine & Poledo
OK.

So, have your fronts blown? If not, no need to change them. The stock speakers just can't hack bass, so if you get a small sub in place, the filter-options on your stereo will let you cut low-end to speakers, letting them focus on what they do best.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I've had these in my car for a good 6 months now.

To be honest, the standard speakers sounded better. At first I thought i'd crossed over the + and - but they were connected properly.

As Goodj says, an underseat active sub is the way to go.

Land Rover
If your car has tweeters in the top of the dash then two way speakers such as these are the wrong ones to fit.
What you need is a single mid/low range driver in each door, which will work with the existing tweeters.
Obviously a sub under one of the seats will further improve it.
Somebody had fitted three way speakers in the doors of my 182 and it sounded terrible, l changed them for mid range units and it’s a lot better. (I hesitate to say “low range” as there’s still not going to be any real bass without a sub)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
If you want good decent speakers you want to research "Rainbow Speakers", they are expensive but worth it and if you and if you are going a step further you want to put good cables in and a nice amp just to run the speakers and then the next stage would be a sub if you wanted some boom boom pow.

Listerine & Poledo
The sub wont be rattling your windows, but it'll certainly fill out the lower end of your chosen tracks.

It wont be much cop if you're big on Trap music, lets put it that way. :)

monaco 172
I wouldn't bother changing the speakers in the front unless you are prepared to run them from a decent amplifier and plan to sound deaden the entire front doors inner and outer skin and mount on a solid baffle.

Just changing the speakers is not going to improve anything, if anything it will be worse as standard speakers are designed to be run from bugger all power from a head unit so are much more efficient.

Aftermarket speakers aren't as efficient and require an amp to work at their best.

Listerine & Poledo
Our man Hipwell has a good point.
When I had a 172 I just changed headunit and put a sub in.
The stock units are actually pretty good, so long as you're not trying to force bass through them. That's where your sub comes in, and using the filters on the head-unit to cut low-end to the speakers, leaving it all on the sub.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
General consensus is stock front and rear with a sub? I have a sub but PO fitted cheap edge front speakers and Kenwood rears.

Listerine & Poledo
maybe fit low profile subs in rear sidepanel with custom panel?

I was interested in this idea before I strapped a tube into my boot.

THe stock rears are still 13cm jobs, so you'd need to custom some mountings to at least 20cm really. I'd imagine mounting depth wont be too much of a problem as long as you dont pick subs with a massive bucket.

twin 8's in the rear, but no loss of cabin space? Yes.
You'd totally want amped-up fronts to balance it though :)

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I was interested in this idea before I strapped a tube into my boot.

THe stock rears are still 13cm jobs, so you'd need to custom some mountings to at least 20cm really. I'd imagine mounting depth wont be too much of a problem as long as you dont pick subs with a massive bucket.

twin 8's in the rear, but no loss of cabin space? Yes.
You'd totally want amped-up fronts to balance it though :)
and with a good guesstimate of volume, you could pick a proper driver for sealed use and enjoy the tightness!