ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pistonheads Top 50 Hot-hatches of All Time - Article

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Looks like a list put together by the forza/gt playing generation.

No actual facts were used in the making of this list.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Ahh, that's better.

31st place: Citroen AX GT
32nd place: Peugeot 309 GTI
33rd place: Megane Renaultsport Trophy (current)
34th place: Audi RS3
35th place: Peugeot 306 Rallye
36th place: MINI Cooper S JCW
37th place: Megane
Renaultsport R26
38th place: Volkswagen Golf R32 (Mk4)

39th place: Alfasud 1.5ti
40th place: Fiat Uno IE Turbo
41st place: Volkswagen Golf GTI MK5
42nd place: Subaru Impreza WRX STI (3rd gen)
43rd place: Clio
Renaultsport 200 (current)
44th place: Suzuki Swift GTI
45th place: Ford Fiesta XR2 (Mk1)
46th place: Fiat Strada 130 TC Abarth
47th place: Suzuki Swift Sport
48th place: Subaru Impreza Cosworth
49th place: AMC Pacer (inc Carl Green Edition)
50th place: Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
The Megane Trophy should be around the top 10. Fastest FWD car around the ring don't forget..

The Vee is a Supercar, not a hot hatch ;)

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
The vee is not a hot hatch fact. The hot hatch was supposed to be able to drop the kids off at school, take the wife to the supermarket and to be able to harrass super cars in the twisties on the way home. The fact the vee has only two seats kinda rules it out.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The vee is not a hot hatch fact. The hot hatch was supposed to be able to drop the kids off at school, take the wife to the supermarket and to be able to harrass super cars in the twisties on the way home. The fact the vee has only two seats kinda rules it out.

it has a large 'parcel shelf' does it not?

when your kids are too big to ride on that they are big enough to get the bus to school

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols at the 200 in at 43 yet it managed to make the top 10 in Evo car of the year against some of the best machinery in the world.

Yeah an RS3 is a better hot hatch than an Frp if you like comfort and not knowing where your wheels are.

I've never seen a poll contradict itself so much!

It's just a random list of cars really. May as well be in alphabetical order for all the meaning it carries.

Did Pistonheads just troll the entire internet? :eek:

MCS R56
The Megane Trophy should be around the top 10. Fastest FWD car around the ring don't forget..

While this is impressive and shows how well sorted it is, it doesn't always mean it's a great day-to-day car. Hot hatches should be a compromise of performance and comfort, so that they are equally good on the track as around town. I'm sure the Megane is good at both but cars that are fast around the 'ring tend to be quite 'race' focused and less everyday focused.

The Vee is not a supercar.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
While this is impressive and shows how well sorted it is, it doesn't always mean it's a great day-to-day car. Hot hatches should be a compromise of performance and comfort, so that they are equally good on the track as around town. I'm sure the Megane is good at both but cars that are fast around the 'ring tend to be quite 'race' focused and less everyday focused.

The Vee is not a supercar.
You're sarcasm radar dosen't seem to be working..

RB 182 195bhp
As said before, how can a 306 gti-6 be over 10 places higher than a rallye when the only difference is a leather interior and air con? :s

172,MR2 GT-S
This is not a troll post (although it seems a few trolls filled in that poll).......................VEE is not a super car!!!! Please stop thinking this people as it will make you look retarded if you mention that to someone in the pub.

A supercar is a car which is very fast.......which a vee is not.

A supercar when new costs the same as a detached house....which a vee certainly does not.

Ferrari,lambo,porsche,Bugatti,maseratti(spellcheck)........<---------SUPERCARS

For reference an evo FQ400 would rip most things on the road but still not a supercar, supercar fast but its a mental family saloon .

The only thing the vee shares is ltd numbers and 2 seats .

End of the day renault built a clio..Mr renaultsport decided that it would be a good laugh to stick a v6 in the boot muck about with the body work, suspension etc and produce it in ltd numbers.

What a vee is, is an exclusive "hot" hatchback shaped car for enthusiasts (with the engine in the wrong end for shopping if thats how you rate a hot hatch lol ).

Rant over !!!

BTW i love Vees lol

RB 182 195bhp
The stickers, don't forget teh stickerz!

The stickers drop it 10 places? D: I expected it too be the other way round with people saying oh the rallye is a stripped out focused machine, when in reality i believe it is only around 10-20kg lighter, and 0.1 second faster to 60. If a 172 cup and a 172 are in the same group (rightly so) so should the gti and the rallye as its the same concept. Rant over.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
This is not a troll post (although it seems a few trolls filled in that poll).......................VEE is not a super car!!!! Please stop thinking this people as it will make you look retarded if you mention that to someone in the pub.

A supercar when new costs the same as a detached house....which a vee certainly does not.

For reference an evo FQ400 would rip most things on the road but still not a supercar, supercar fast but its a mental family saloon .

End of the day renault built a clio..Mr renaultsport decided that it would be a good laugh to stick a v6 in the boot muck about with the body work, suspension etc and produce it in ltd numbers.

What a vee is, is an exclusive "hot" hatchback shaped car for enthusiasts (with the engine in the wrong end for shopping if thats how you rate a hot hatch lol ).

Rant over !!!

BTW i love Vees lol

Bargrain/pocket supercar?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
You kinda contradicted yourself there.

An Evo FQ400 is obviously not a supercar, to joe public it looks like a normal 4 door saloon.

Clio v6 is totally impractical, designed without joe blogg's very day requirements in mind, striking, uneconomical, awkward to drive, and totally uncompromising.
Low cost, but supercar ethos nonetheless. (And by coincidence, has a hatch boot)

172,MR2 GT-S
You kinda contradicted yourself there.

An Evo FQ400 is obviously not a supercar, to joe public it looks like a normal 4 door saloon.

Clio v6 is totally impractical, designed without joe blogg's very day requirements in mind, striking, uneconomical, awkward to drive, and totally uncompromising.
Low cost, but supercar ethos nonetheless. (And by coincidence, has a hatch boot)

Just because you cant fit the shopping in it and it looks abit flash and costs a bit to run and drives like a dog its now a supercar???

Its a concept car which got built possibly...... but not a supercar, get your clio tinted glasses off.

I admit the evo fq400 may have been a bad example but people on that site also punt the supercar tag around till they realise its a modified family saloon just like a vee is a modified clio HATCHBACK.....the only thing more practical about the evo than the vee is the boot and seats in the back...........its still impractical in most circumstances apart from racing ,its terrible to drive around town ,it has massive lag ,the most uneconomical car you could possibly think of,rock hard suspension which is useless unless racing, looks ridiculous to most people and imo dont think they had joe bloggs in mind when that was released either ....not a supercar but at least has a chance of keeping up with one which is a lot more than a vee would do )

Someone with a mini cooper puts a k20 conversion in the boot now has a car which fits YOUR super car ethos only difference is they built it themselves not mr cooper???

Renault build a silly car and because it fits a few of the list its now a low cost supercar......my goodness.

Joe bloggs or Joe public in the street would walk up to these cars and say say "wow thats a mental clio" or "wow that big subaru evo thing is a bit mad looking bet that shifts "noone would say "wow thats a lovely low cost supercar you have there sir congrats you must be in the elite .

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Another ex FRP owner here - I'm glad it wasn't in the poll. It's a coupe - not a hatch ;-)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It comes under Hot Hatch although I slightly see your point.

Hot coupes. ;)

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Gally, do you still have an FRP? I recognise your username from PumaPeople/RPOC...

(Ex #013 here)

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
:(

This was mine

P1010210.gif

I sold it eventually as the rear arches were really starting to go badly, and the front was peppered with stone chips. Annoyingly, the bloke I sold it to sorted all the problems and sold it nine months later for nearly a grand more than I sold it for.

I've seen a few pics recently on PP, and it is looking good now, and owned by an enthusiast who is spending some serious cash on it.

I'd love another, but not as a daily driver.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
:(

This was mine

P1010210.gif

I sold it eventually as the rear arches were really starting to go badly, and the front was peppered with stone chips. Annoyingly, the bloke I sold it to sorted all the problems and sold it nine months later for nearly a grand more than I sold it for.

I've seen a few pics recently on PP, and it is looking good now, and owned by an enthusiast who is spending some serious cash on it.

I'd love another, but not as a daily driver.

I bought mine for £4700 and sold for 6k. I put a good 20k on it in 2 years. Not bad going.

I replaced a few bits and bobs. Nothing major but apart from some stone chips it was a cracker. As you say, I would own one again in s second but not sure I could do it as a daily again.

I drove mine every day and it did get tiresome. I also wasn't driving it like intended, became too good to thrash. Just so happened the market picked up a little and it was the perfect time. Miss it everyday but remind myself that it was the right time to sell.

I'll own another. I'd like a tidy example for 3k if I can! Lols! It would probably be a second car though.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member

Rant over !!!

BTW i love Vees lol

Since we're being picky, I wouldn't be referring to Bugatti's as a Supercar, Shirley they're Hypercars? Thus making the Vee slightly more acceptable as a mini-Supercar?

MCS R56
Since we're being picky, I wouldn't be referring to Bugatti's as a Supercar, Shirley they're Hypercars? Thus making the Vee slightly more acceptable as a mini-Supercar?

What makes it a hypercar? There's always a top and bottom to each section, so surely it's just the top supercar? The Clio is a hatch so the Vee is a hatch. Anyone that owns a Vee and suggests to people (should they ask) that they own a supercar are just embarrassing themselves.

Clio V6
I don't think I've ever heard a Vee owner refer to it as a supercar but at the same time it's not really a hot hatch.

I'm going for super hatch :)