ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plasma Screen Burn

Mito Sportiva 135
It seems my housemate decided to play Peggle on Xbox for about 10 hours straight, with vivid colour settings, on my brand new LG plasma!!!!

As a result, to the edges of the TV, the game's menus seem burnt into the screen. It's only very minimal but I notice it and it annoys me.

Any suggestions of how to get rid of this???? :cool::dapprove::dapprove:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Plenty of TV's nowadays have built in menu stuff to fix it. Google your make of LG and screen burn there will be plenty of threads.

Usually on av forums mate.

There should be a screen burn option within the settings.

The best option is using the scrolling bars (white/black lines constantly moving across the screen), this will wipe most IR.

Mito Sportiva 135
Hahaa yeh...PEGGLE!!!

Cool thanks - I did read image burn caused early in a TV's life can be permanent though...is this true????? :S

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hahaa yeh...PEGGLE!!!

Cool thanks - I did read image burn caused early in a TV's life can be permanent though...is this true????? :S
On older sets it used to be iirc.

My ex has a tv we bought together, went in the other day and the little un' had changed the channel you should have seen the screen bleed! OMG! It was so so bad!

Think they had been playing the wii and stuff a lot.

Mito Sportiva 135
Well yeh seems quite weird really - i mean if you keep it on the same channel for HOURS then fair enough, but 4 - 6 hours isn't ridiculous.

It's only fairly minor as I say though but annoys me, it's only on light backgrounds it's noticeable.

Cupra
Supposedly the first 200 hours of a plasma screen break in the phosphors. After that, they are a lot less sensitive to image retention and burn in.

I didn't know it was an issue until after I bought a plasma. Just don't use the extra bright/ vivid modes to start with.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh unfortunately changing the settings to vivid was the first thing I did, the second thing being my housemate playing a game with a static menu non-stop for 6 hours.........................not impressed!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Vivid should actually be scrapped from all sets! What a shocking setting for any TV!

My Contrast and brightness are still down around 50 and the TV looks immense.

Mito Sportiva 135
I had it on high for gaming purposes and to watch Toy Story 3...in hindsight probably 2 of the worst options to bed in a new plasma!!!

Mito Sportiva 135
Spoke to LG and they suggested a whitewash feature in the settings then a factory reset - anyone else tried this?

Apparently if you use too often then it can cause reduction in performance?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Use the whitewash and turn the orbiter on for future use. The whitewash won't do any harm unless you leave it running for a long time.
Also run the breakin images in this link when you go to bed for a few weeks to clock up your hours.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=1289300

They are from this very good thread!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=10518497

If all that fails this should get rid of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMySLZkF5o

Once sorted then use these settings as they are better than the already good THX settings. Vivid , game etc are all crap. Stick to THX or better still the ones below they're loads better.

lgsettings.png
[/IMG]

I very very rarely see any image retention on mine now and it always goes almost instantly when I do:).

Last edited:
  Mito Sportiva 135
Thanks for that advice mate - will try the whitewash tonight and see how that goes.

What is the difference between that and orbital then?

Vivid etc is good for gaming but accept that for regular TV and films then not the way forward!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't use vivid for anything my self. game mode for games at a push but I find the above settings look nice for gaming. The orbital just moves the whole screen every few min by a couple of mm to help prevent problems in the 1st place.

As has already been mentioned, the 1st 100-200 hours on new sets should be 'run in'. Simply run all settings on 50> for the first 100 hours, with all dynamic settings switched off.
Then gradually turn them up, until you're happy with it. This should prevent any screen burn.

Also, there's a difference between IR and screen burn. Screen burn is permanent, IR is temporary. I've never seen screen burn on any plasma I've owned (4). IR tends to disappear after a couple of mins (COD menus / Sky News logo etc)

Mito Sportiva 135
Well the problem I've experience hasn't disappeared yet....probably a good 12-15 hours of TV / Bluray watching since Peggle was banished. Had some IR with news logos which have appeared and disappeared in that time too.

RN1 - can orbital be left on permanently then?

172ph2
had any luck with it?

I've recently noticed I had a little clock box shadow from watching bbc1 breakfast before work. So I've been getting into the habit of using the zoom function to crop off the edge logos, works pretty well as it's gone now.

Mito Sportiva 135
No lines are still there. Really annoying me. I did the whitewash thing for about 5 minutes and no joy. I'm going to try what RN1 suggested above.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
had any luck with it?

I've recently noticed I had a little clock box shadow from watching bbc1 breakfast before work. So I've been getting into the habit of using the zoom function to crop off the edge logos, works pretty well as it's gone now.

Is that with the 590? No point doing the zoom. I always watch bbc before work turn the TV off then when I first get home and turn it on the clock still shows at the bottom. It always goes within seconds of normal viewing.

Brand if my suggestions don't work then i would put a post up on the LG section of AVforums and see if anyone else has any good ideas. I do suspect as you clock up the hours it should go over time, it's unlikely that you have properly burnt it I would've thought. Has it improved at all or is it just the same as it was in the first place?

172ph2
Na it's a 2 yr old Panasonic I've got, tbf I can only see the clock burn if I watch a widescreen film where the black bars are where the clock was you can see a faint square.

from wiki
Screen burn-in, colloquially known as screen burn, is a permanent discoloration of areas on an electronic display such as a CRT display or computer monitor or television screen caused by cumulative non-uniform usage of the pixels.

...so take a screen shot of the offending peggle level, photoshop black areas where there is image retention and leave that on screen for a while so the other, non 'burnt', pixels catch up on usage*

*comes with no warranty whatsoever

Mito Sportiva 135
Cheers mate. It's getting slightly better, but still there. To be honest I am also surprised that such a basic thing can damage the screen, it's a bit stupid really. Overall loving the TV and in hindsight it is my fault ultimately, but there is no warning on the TV (or if there is, not prominent) to tell you this can happen.

I've tried the white wash and colour wash a couple of times. It's more noticeable on scenes with one block lighter colour, as there are bars running down vertically from the left and right of the screen.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate. It's getting slightly better, but still there. To be honest I am also surprised that such a basic thing can damage the screen, it's a bit stupid really. Overall loving the TV and in hindsight it is my fault ultimately, but there is no warning on the TV (or if there is, not prominent) to tell you this can happen.

I've tried the white wash and colour wash a couple of times. It's more noticeable on scenes with one block lighter colour, as there are bars running down vertically from the left and right of the screen.

I suspect once you pile the hours on it will eventually go. At least if it's getting better now then it must be just bad retention! As for damaging the screen it's a fairly well known thing to have to bed plasmas in (although I suppose your mate didn't know this or maybe care). All TV have there bad points and it's just the way plasmas are. The 590 is such a good tv for the money:approve:.

Mito Sportiva 135
Well it's getting better, but still there in bright backgrouds - highly annoying.

The picture quality of the TV is stunning though. Avatar on BluRay in THX mode was superb, TV itself is brilliant. The net connection is also great for iPlayer and YouTube purposes.

Audi S1
Surely if it's brand new and this has happened you should be entitled to take it back, or at least have words... I know I would lol

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's getting better, but still there in bright backgrouds - highly annoying.

The picture quality of the TV is stunning though. Avatar on BluRay in THX mode was superb, TV itself is brilliant. The net connection is also great for iPlayer and YouTube purposes.

At least it's on the mend by the sounds of things...

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh only really visible on bright but off-white backgrounds now, but still noticeable at times.

Annoying but not the end of the world - a warning to others though!