ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Playstation 4 announcement 20th February?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
you don't expect to be playing games at true 1080p?

the PS4 is going to be 4k (del probably not the first batch of games), with the right tv that will be epic quality, theres a 4k tv in vegas and its like nothing you've ever seen.
Sorry - I DO expect to be playing at 1080p, but I do not expect the framerate to be 60fps+ consistently with loads of shaders and effects all going on. Interestingly enough there are a few game devs who are still locking their rendering engines to 30fps, at least initially. That's not to say there won't be some fantastic looking games. Some of the early development stuff is showing a lot of potential.

The PS4 may / may not support 4K but I don't think we'll be playing games at those resolutions for quite some time yet (not on a console anyway).

Mito Sportiva 135
All the release games for PS4 (and Xbox 3) won't be that impressive in terms of graphics though. Not because they won't be capable of them but because of the developers not getting to grips with them and most of them being ports of PS3 and Xbox 360 games with some upgraded textures.

For the 360 for example it's taken almost 8 years to get to the standard of graphics on Halo 4 - which is leagues ahead of some of the launch titles.

PS4 though seems to have made a better marketing campaign than the PS3 ever did though, so despite being an avid Xbox user I'll definitely be considering both consoles on merit once they're out.

Are you f**king joking!!!!???? How could they possibly do that?????????? AAHHHHHH their stupidity makes me despair!!!
That may be a deal breaker for me.

Why would you want to? I didn't miss my ps2 games when I got a 3 lol. Not much of a deal unplugging 1 hdmi cable and putting it in to your old machine.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I think I'm going to go Xbox on the next generation consoles as the ps3 has annoyed me. Depending on price of course, I think the ps4 will be exactly like the way ps3 was by being too clever and too expensive to develop games for and getting ported from Xbox developed games.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
All the release games for PS4 (and Xbox 3) won't be that impressive in terms of graphics though. Not because they won't be capable of them but because of the developers not getting to grips with them and most of them being ports of PS3 and Xbox 360 games with some upgraded textures.

For the 360 for example it's taken almost 8 years to get to the standard of graphics on Halo 4 - which is leagues ahead of some of the launch titles.

PS4 though seems to have made a better marketing campaign than the PS3 ever did though, so despite being an avid Xbox user I'll definitely be considering both consoles on merit once they're out.
It won't take long for developers to 'get up to speed' as they're pretty much there already mate. The new consoles are closer to a 'PC architecture' than ever before so plenty of skills and experience are already in abundance. Of course games will continue to look better as time goes on (and as new rendering techniques emerge and evolve) but there won't be a steep learning-curve as sometimes has been seen with previous console launches. This is a good thing IMO. :)

Off on a somewhat different tangent, I do worry about the additional pressures it will put on developers and publishers to make a game at a sensible cost (and HOPE that it sells well). All these next-gen visuals don't come cheap in terms of resources and creative types that are required to produce them. The first game I had the pleasure of working on had a budget of about £200,000 which is simply laughable by today's standards!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’d hate to see the price of those controllers now. The last ones were ~£30-40 as it is- that’s without a touch screen and all that malarky.

Mito Sportiva 135
It won't take long for developers to 'get up to speed' as they're pretty much there already mate. The new consoles are closer to a 'PC architecture' than ever before so plenty of skills and experience are already in abundance. Of course games will continue to look better as time goes on (and as new rendering techniques emerge and evolve) but there won't be a steep learning-curve as sometimes has been seen with previous console launches. This is a good thing IMO. :)

Off on a somewhat different tangent, I do worry about the additional pressures it will put on developers and publishers to make a game at a sensible cost (and HOPE that it sells well). All these next-gen visuals don't come cheap in terms of resources and creative types that are required to produce them. The first game I had the pleasure of working on had a budget of about £200,000 which is simply laughable by today's standards!

Yeah I agree - I think it's more that developers will still look to save money by developing games for current gen then upgrade to new gen, rather than natively making them like that. If you look at the film industry most production companies were making films in 2d then converted into 3d when they saw there was more money to be made, rather than a separate 2d and 3d version (or making natively in 3d). I think that is kind of analogous to what we will see for the first year or so of the new gen, with only a handful of 'true' next gen games to begin with.

dk

911 GTS Cab
lets not get hung up on the prices on the websites, no prices have even been set yet so the retailers are just hedging their bets and advertising the games so they can get some pre-sales but need to cover themselves by setting the price high so that it covers costs and telling the customer they'll pay the lower cost when prices are set properly and competition starts.

Same thing with the consoles, they have no idea how much they will cost, only this week the retailers were lobbying for sony to set the retailer price of the unit at £300 with maybe a all singing all dancing one for £350-400 maybe.

Fiesta ST-2
Sony already said they hadn't released prices, just a little publicity stunt if you ask me, sure some websites are £49.99