ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PlayTV on PS3... any good?

Just seen a deal on it and it looks pretty good from what I'm reading.
Anyone here using it? Must you PS3 be on all the tv?

Can you stream from your home computer to you PS3 with it? i.e music and movies?

Thanks in advance all :D

Also how do you control it? I've just realised its an actual digi tuner basically so I assume you put your tv on HDMI channel and watch everything through your PS3? if so... what control do you use to change channel etc? does the use of your tv remote become non existent?

:)

Octy VRS
Cannot be used with anything else. It just turns the PS3 into a PVR so you can record, pause, rewind etc. Quality is very good.

Use a PS3 bluetooth remote as the controller has an annoying habit of FF and RW when you put it down as it uses the triggers. I don''t use my TV remote at all.

Mondeo diesel barge
It works really well for me. If the PS3 is off and you have a programme you have set to record it will switch the PS3 on and record the programme (So long as the PS3 is on standy and not switched off at the back).

It works really well for me. If the PS3 is off and you have a programme you have set to record it will switch the PS3 on and record the programme (So long as the PS3 is on standy and not switched off at the back).

Cracking. Will it turn it back off afterwards?

I currently have the PS3 remote so no probs there... does that basically get used for everything from now on?

Octy VRS
I love it. As said, quality is very good for SD and anything recorded can be copied onto an external HDD if you want to keep it. I record a lot of late films on Film4 and it switches on and records then turns itself off again. One thing I'd like in an update is the abailty to remove the adverts.

Thanks for the responses guys... think im gonna go pick this up tonight :)

Any ideas on my other Q re: streaming?

Octy VRS
You can't stream with it. Why would you need to anyway? You can do that with the PS3 anyway.

Orly? lol How the heck do I set that up then? lol I have an iMac.

CS... the home of all the answer in the world. :D

I assume you use the one mentioned yeah?
Think the easiest to set up is the way forward so prob wont even look at Tversity or Orb otherwise lol

Got it...!
Seems quite good... BUT... picture quality isn't as good as it was with the built in Freeview Player in the tv before. The picture seemed alot sharper before. :(

Also its telling me I don't have much HD space left? like 1.4 gb? :S I haven't used any other than games?... I have a 60GB PS3?

Octy VRS
Seems odd. Do you keep vids and music? Try goimg through your game data. Some games can be 5GB. If you aren't playing it much then delete it. With game saves you may have games like Fallout with numerous saves. These are massive so keep the main one you want and delete the rest. I found some at 9GB.

GOt the media server installed.. was a doddle... and the PS and mac found one another easily... how to watch/listen to stuff however is proving not as easy... lol. Although being a man i havent read destructions yet. WEnt through all the options but can't find my movie or photo or music folders?

ALL SORTED! was pretty simple once I used my head... This is funking cracking!
Watching HD content I'd downloaded and music etc perfectly.
I've turned what was just a gaming console into a tv watching/recording media streaming media centre! woot!
Finally, I'm using it properly! Thanks for all the help and patience on here guys!

Clio 182
Suggest your next purchase is a 500gb hard drive to store all of your recorded stuff. Loads of guides on how to upgrade on the net and is very simple, just make sure you do a backup of stuff you dont want to lose.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm never even heard og this before!

Buy it off playstation store?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I love it. As said, quality is very good for SD and anything recorded can be copied onto an external HDD if you want to keep it. I record a lot of late films on Film4 and it switches on and records then turns itself off again. One thing I'd like in an update is the abailty to remove the adverts.
how do you save recorded stuff onto an external hard drive, didn't know you could do that?

dk

911 GTS Cab
ok, found out how to get them off, just can't get the file to play, not even vlc will play more than 2 seconds of the file, confused.

Missed this thread.

Play TV is very, very good. For little monies, it turns the PS3 into a very capable DVR with a very nice GUI. The only gripe, is that despite being twin tuner, it will not allow simultaneous recordings. I understand why but, it would be good if you could record two channels at the same time. It would only have to warn that you cannot watch a third channel whilst doing so.

It's a very nice piece of software and works well. The tuner in my Panasonic plasma delivers slightly nicer images. Play TV does a great job of upscaling and produces great SD pictures when there's a good signal, but it does have a habit of over enhancing sometimes, which results in artifacts with less than perfect signals.

Overall, it's brilliant and integrates well with the PS3.

Missed this thread.

Play TV is very, very good. For little monies, it turns the PS3 into a very capable DVR with a very nice GUI. The only gripe, is that despite being twin tuner, it will not allow simultaneous recordings. I understand why but, it would be good if you could record two channels at the same time. It would only have to warn that you cannot watch a third channel whilst doing so.

It's a very nice piece of software and works well. The tuner in my Panasonic plasma delivers slightly nicer images. Play TV does a great job of upscaling and produces great SD pictures when there's a good signal, but it does have a habit of over enhancing sometimes, which results in artifacts with less than perfect signals.

Overall, it's brilliant and integrates well with the PS3.

I have found this too... but then SOMETIMES, and I mean sometimes, the picture is up to scratch. I watched Chuck last night that had recorded on Virgin1 and the quality was easily as good as it was on my panny standard tuner, however something I recorded on BBC1 the other night looked v.grainy and with slight shadows/trails.
Sacrifice that seems to be worthit though to have such a nice GUI and the recording facility back :)
I've noticed in the update it mentioned picture qual although cant see a diff, maybe it will continue to get better?

No limit as far as I know but it only takes 2.5 drives so that won't be any good, oh and they have to be 9mm thick not 12mm like most. Samsung spinpoint 500GB is the largest I know of recent. There may be others now.
Suweet!
Found this one... I THINK its the one....
http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/...00JI-5400RPM-8MB-Notebook-HDD,-OEM_19755.html

Would it be better to wait and get a 7200rpm one? whats the difference with spin speed? Does it contribute to the noise factor too? or is that just the fan.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sure. You just hook it up and install the software that comes with it. The tuner box is very small so it's easy to tuck away, and it's also bus powered so there's no need to find a spare power socket.
Thanks mate, definitely have a look at this. I have been looking at recording boxes anyway so this could be ideal.

Sky+ downstairs :(