ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PLEASE HELP - I've broken down in Tesco carpark!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Hello all,

I was driving along for lunch going to tesco and 2 warning lights came on.

I have a 1.5 DCi Clio MK2 PH2 2002 plate.

One light was red, looks a little like a tap with the word stop written in it. The other looks like a coil?

I slowed down and the lights went off, and the car was driving fine so I continued to tesco. I got here, went in and got lunch, came out and it wouldn't start!

checked oil level. It seemed low, so Topped it up.

It still won't start. Waited about 20 mins and tried again, still won't start!!

It just goes n goes but won't fire and start up :dapprove:

I need to get back to work, managers going to kill me!!

Any help/advice please????

I've called the RAC but they're going to be ages

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Sounds like the same problems when my injectors went, you had any previous starting issues?

clio+v6+14.png

Which ones? The one above the handbrake light and the one next to it?

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok RAC got my car started (typical, they turn up and the damn thing starts first time) - he had a look at it as the engine was acting a little odd.

He then started it again and it was fine. So he said he wants to look in to it further.

He plugged in and it came up with:

fault code 137.
RAIL PRESSURE REGULATION FUNCTION - HIGHER THAN MAXIMUM LIMIT. STORED FAULT.

He then said it could be that thing, forgot what it was called. then said one of my injectors may be staying open!?

Then he started it again and rev'd it, and saw a lot of bluey smoke come out the exhaust. Its been happening for a few weeks (blue smoke) and he said it could be the turbo (I can't believe a 65bhp Clio has a turbo!) - so then he said don't drive it, get it looked at.

He then followed me home and then gave me a lift back to work. (nice bloke, much appreciated).

Anyways, while he was following me, he said that there isnt much smoke coming out the exhaust and it may not be the turbo! So now he's said get it looked at, don't drive it, may be the injectors!

Any ideas??

p.s: JackJack, I can't see the image you posted above as I am on a work computer and its blocked the image.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Fuel pressure regualation is the same fault mine came up, it's the injectors mate.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Fuel pressure regualation is the same fault mine came up, it's the injectors mate.

Hmmmm... his disconnected the wire from the fuel pressure thing and sprayed some connector stuff on it. Then he monitored it on the laptop and said its behaving itself.

Would this fault with injectors cause blue smoke (blue smoke usually only persists for about 1-2 minutes after engine start, no matter if its hot or cold).

Thank you everyone for all help/advice given.

Scrooge: how much did it cost you to get fixed?

edit: if it was the turbo, would it have a turbo fault code? (sorry, I really don't know too much about this stuff!)

CursedTitanium 182FF
Check the oil level when your engine is cold, do not check it when it has been run! It will give you a false reading and the possibility of over filling it.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Tesco have RAC/AA cover, if you break down in their car park, they will tow u off it - might not be very far tho.

Black smoke = Burnt Diesel
White smoke = Unburnt Diesel
Blue smoke = ? oil maybe, if seals are gone in turbo then it will burn oil.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
If the oil is low and you have blue smoke the turbo could be on its way out.

When did you last check the oil prior to this, any leaks ?

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Quick test to see if it's the turbo.

Check the EGR valve, if it's like:
IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

This ERG valve is showing that the turbo is 100% fecked and letting oil into the induction system, if you find your ERG looking like this -- DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR
if the turbo lets go all the oil in the sump will be pumped in to the piston and burnt, causing 100% meltdown of internals (NEW ENGINE TIME)

Here is a turbo repair guide if it's that.

Honda. Tesla Someday
The car has had an oil leak for a while, yes. :(

Thanks for that guide too, but I wouldnt even know where to start with all that :(

on a serious note, i am literally sick of everything right now. the car letting me down along with everything else in my life.

mk1 f7p turbo
cheer up mate, it could be worse. you could have a mk1 f7p turbo. then you would really be moaning at maintenance costs
as people have said before blue smoke is a strong sway towards oil,
check all of the above and most importantly, keep your chin up ! after all. it is french

Honda. Tesla Someday
Update:

I didnt drive it for a few days and got lifts to and from work. I got my dad to take it to a garage and they said that they plugged it in to their diagnostics and its all fine! They gave it an all clear.

So, this morning, I drove it to work. Engine seemed a little...off...? Just a bit shakey... so I took it easy. Oh and my sunroof leaked so I first sat in a soaked seat, then had to drive whilst sitting on newspapers.

Anyways, got to work all fine.

Just a few moments ago, I started the engine to move the car to another spot. It wouldnt start! So I tried again and it finally started, so I rev'd it and let it idle. While idling, it became very shakey a judders, its just about staying on.

So I began moving it to another parking spot and the steering felt heavier and the engine made weird sounds when accelerating! Sounds like a chain being pulled off a wooden table, best I can describe it.

Anyways, here I am... stressed the f*ck out and feeling sick to the stomach. :(

I called a mechanic and he said its most likely the injectors (or one injector being faulty). He said he cant do the work on it as he doesnt have the equipment to test each injector, and he also said that the injectors may be coded / they may need to be coded by computer??

I live in West London if anyone feels like helping pushing me off a bridge.