ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polarizing filters

I thought these things improved images!? Both pictures were taken at f/8 then shutter speed was adjusted until the meter displayed the correct exposure.

Polarized exposure:

DSCF0803.jpg

Un-polarized exposure:

DSCF0804.jpg

Has anyone got any tips on how to use it properly?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
hmmm, keep spinning.

Did you get a circular polarisor? Or Linear?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
what exactly did you expect it to do? They won't "improve" a crappy image, just use it for deeper blue skys and to remove reflections from water etc. I'd say that it has served its purpose in the image above?

miracles, I expected miracles.

Ner those were just just test images merely used to see the difference a PF would make to a blue sky. Seen as the polarized one looks dull and underexposed I was wondering if I am doing something wrong.

B

Brown.

there also good for removing reflections off water/ glass.... do you have manual focus selected?? circular filters are pants on rotating lens

What camera and lens is this on and what make of CPF? Also, jsut photographing the sky wont show what the CPF is best at, which is producing a lovely blue sky that would normally be blown out to expose the landscape properly. Also as big_peaches said, it will also reduce reflections/glare from non-metallic surfaces

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Polarisers are purely for cutting out "specular reflection"
They will not work with all sky shots.....depends on the type of light ???.

If there is too much haze or pollution then it will struggle to make miracles happen.

Keep it for beach type landscape shots to help cut out over exposed glare over water etc.

Also you tend to lose 2 stops when a CPF is fitted, did you re adjust??

We use them in work to penetrate car windscreens.....enough said