ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor handbrake

monaco 172
The handbrake on my 172 is shocking.

I recently fit a pair of new genuine cables and both calipers seem to function ok.

It's running oem brembos and standard disks both look in decent condition.

Are there any stickier pads out there which might improve it?

It does hold but I have to pull it to what feels like is going to snap the cables for it to hold on a steep hill.

I Also own a mk3 and the handbrake on that is good enough to lock the wheels from moving.

monaco 172
Yeh, it's not a lack of tightness between the cable and the handle, it's just a complete lack of bite between the pad and disc.

Putting the handbrake on in the mk3 is effortless to get it to hold on a hill. In the 172 I have to pull it mega tight.

monaco 172
mechanism in the calliper will probably be knackered.

Seems to move ok?

Is there a rebuild kit available? Seen the seals are available by redline (red something?? Got my front caliper rebuild kit from them can't remember the name)

The hydrolic side of things works perfect so it'd be a shame to have to get new calipers

dan's cast offs.
it will move but doesn't do anything. normal sign is one arm will be further forward than the other when handbrake is on.