ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor idling after inlet mods....any ideas

Radical SR3
Video here http://youtu.be/AITf4G6tA18

The car has been off the road for 6 months whilst fitting the custom inlet, I've needed a new filter, new rad lines (and alloy rad) so it's taken a while!

I started the car for the first time today after a full service and as you can see/hear, it's not running too well. I know I need a pipe to complete the inlet to the filter but it shouldn't be running like this.

I've checked the throttle body, leads (I had 2 and 3 the wrong way round), fuses.

Any suggestions? I ran the car with Torque and the OBD2 and no errors came up so I don't think the sensors are shagged anywhere?

Could it be the injectors? I had them cleaned about 4 months ago via a reputable firm and this is the first time they've been run.

Could the ECU just need to relearn from the sensors? (used to do that on my old MR2 if I fitted a different ECU).

Could it be bad fuel? not had any fresh fuel in it for 6 months...

Any help appreciated to get me going again :)

53 Clio's & counting
I'm listening on my phone so not great quality but That sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders to me - So check the basics - I'm assuming it has the correct plugs in? Are they new or used/broken? Leads definately pushed fully on, both the plugs and on the coil? (easy to miss) Has an injector plug come off? That happened to me, came off but only a tiny bit so looked like it was still on.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Deffo missing its knackers off. As above, check the ignition and injection basics.

RB 182
Map sensor needs to be as far away as possible from the TB and tangent to the airflow iir, I doubt that is the reason for the bad engine noise but worth noting.

Radical SR3
Thanks all, will check the basics tomorrow if I get chance. I am thinking one of the injectors could be shagged or blocked.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check they're plugged in correctly to... silly as it sounds but it does happen

Radical SR3
I checked the plugs tonight and the leads (how do you test the coilpack and leads??), I also removed each of the injector plugs and checked they were seated and plugged in correctly. I even checked the ohms on the injectors, 15.1 across the board. Starting the car up, same problem as before :(

I removed the plugs to check what was going on in the head and cylinder 1 and 3 were totally clean, no whiff of fuel, no moisture. cylinder 2 and 4 were black at the tips which says that combustion had happened.

I removed the fuel rail (pissing fuel out from each injector seat) and each injector. I've numbered the injectors in the order they came out (1-4) and will send them back to the Ebay company that cleaned them to recheck.

Anyone else any thoughts? I would have thought maybe 1 injector could have blocked but 2? on non consecutive cylinders??

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Here's a nice quick, simple test for you...

Remove the injector rail from the inlet manifold with everything still connected (fuel line & multiplugs). Now up-end it so the business ends of the jets are pointing up. Now crank the engine... you should see the injectors fire.

If they do, ignition fault. If they don't check the injector plugs on the faulty units for power and a switching earth (most likely cause would be a wiring fault).

Mick

Radical SR3
Ok, so I think its a stuck injector. I resistance tested the leads (all good) and then put the injectors back in a different order to see if the clean plugs showed signs of combustion and they did.

Finally with the engine running I tested the voltage on the injector leads (all good) and unplugged each connection at a time to see how it affected the engine. On all but one the engine revs dropped. The one that had no effect was one of the suspect injectors so hopefully...I know the culprit.

53 Clio's & counting
Good to hear mate - as meantioned too move the map sensor to the other end of the manifold - I'm sure being so close to the tb won't give it the correct readings as it won't give a full indication of inlet filling

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
I have this exact same noise after having my engine out for roughly 6 months too so hoping you post your findings!

​jack

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
Does it sound like a top end knock? Between 2&3? That's what mine sounds like from your video :eek: not sure what it can be though!

​Jack

Radical SR3
I hope not no. Its basically because the car is only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders. If you have a similar issue it could be like mine either fueling or ignition.