ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor mpg, low temp

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've noticed my mpg has got pretty poor, around the low 30s and my temperature gauge sits a bar sometimes two below the halfway that 1*2s always sit at.

Is this a fault thermostat, CTS or both/neither?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I used to get high 30s even 40 on my 20 mile work commute, no town driving. My ph1 was even better

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Do you get heat in the car? I would say a sensor.
Yeah I'm getting heat, I'm going to use it for a sneaky few days away in Snowdonia so it will be interesting to see what mpg I get on that run. The thing that I noticed first was the needle below half way, all 1*2s I've had were bang in halfway

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I would edge towards it being the CTS.

Thermostats usually fluctuate up and down when a bit dodgy.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I remember changing one on my Valver years ago because it wouldnt run properly from cold

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
if you’re using a Bluetooth obd with the torque app you can read coolant temps.

I would side on it being a stuck open thermostat personally.
Might get a bluetooth obd reader then, any recommendations?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've bought a bluetooth obd reader just now so woll have a look when it comes

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@DomP182 but then if you do a long run over a weekend and get low MPG, surely you would save most the cost of the parts in using less fuel???
That's a good point but it's the 172 or our Tiguan up to Snowdon, I cant resist a blast up there in my car. The thermostat/Cts can wait

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Got the bluetooth obd reader and downloaded Torque lite. Fair to say I dont understand a lot of the readings it gives or their relevance. Is there a guide anywhere as to what they should all be?

I can see it will be useful though, how accurate is the mpg average etc?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Got the bluetooth obd reader and downloaded Torque lite. Fair to say I dont understand a lot of the readings it gives or their relevance. Is there a guide anywhere as to what they should all be?

I can see it will be useful though, how accurate is the mpg average etc?

On the home screen, go on Realtime Information.

Mine loads up a page with dials on by default it has things like RPM, throttle and coolant temp.

Do yours look similar?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
On my phone there is no home screen of preloaded dials, I had to put my own on. Also cant see realtime information, should I get torque pro instead

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
On my phone there is no home screen of preloaded dials, I had to put my own on. Also cant see realtime information, should I get torque pro instead

Could be different, mine is the pro

Screenshot_20200215-195601.png

Screenshot_20200215-195621.png

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I dont understand half of the stuff that is recorded to be honest, hp but no bhp?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
It's the other way round too, it starts at open loop and then switches to closed loop when the lambda warms up.

Then back to open loop after 5000rpm.