ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

poor radio reception

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
not sure what is wrong with my radio but the signal strength is awful

i have read some threads saying to clean the connections inside the ariel mount(i think)

how do i get to this and could it be anything else causing it?

Simon

182 FF Arctic
im having a bit of a problem with mine too i cant get 'signal 1' anymore it comes on for a few seconds then goes into search mode?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
You need a new aerial base on the roof, I had same problem. Swapped mine the other day, perfecto now. The base has a signal booster or something in it (electronic) which dies and causes s**t signal. Basically you drop the headlining undo 1 nut and disconnect 2 wires and it will lift off the roof. Will take 30mins max to do it if you are handy enough.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
ok cheers how much was the base and where did you get it from

I got it from someone who was breaking a 172 paid £5. I reckon Renault will pull your pants down. Best bet is to find someone on here breaking a car and ask them if the signal was all good before they broke it and hope for the best!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Right, i have taken my ariel base apart and it looks fine i think, i have sprayed it with electrical cleaner, havent been down the road to test it yet though

5672708766_55d72cd205_z.jpg

IMAG0413 by sbridgey, on Flickr

5672140515_d5e7967fc5_z.jpg

IMAG0412 by sbridgey, on Flickr

5672707048_14b40ba8c1_z.jpg

IMAG0414 by sbridgey, on Flickr

TBH mate it might look fine but its whats going on inside that counts... get a second hand one and try that or pay full wack at the stealers... ive never had one apart but if there are any metal contacts that touch another clean it with a bit of wire wool or wire brush/sandpaper.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
mate, you are wasting your time! That is a complete un-serviceable part. All it takes is 1 little connector or component to die and thats it. Just replace the base.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i took it off to see if anything obvious was broken but it seemed fine, but as you say 1 connector can cause it too break just wanted to check for obvious things really, will get a new base at somepoint

Clio 172 Cup
Random thread hijack - my 172 cup has been like this since I got it in April, finally annoyed me enough to replace the base today. Bought part from second hand parts place which sadly didn't work, so original is back on. Two questions:
- am I right in thinking the cup has a different base? The replacement part I tried meant the aerial wouldn't clear the spoiler when the boot is open...
- how successful is this at curing the problem? No random auto seeking (even when set to manual)? No drop outs? From other posts I can't work out whether mine is bad or just French character ;-)

Clio 172 Cup
Ta. Head unit connection OK (had to refit headunit when I got the car, that was one rattle down!). Have wondered about exploring the earthing points. Have had occasional other interesting electrical features (my hazards flash when the drivers window reaches the top if you're still pressing the button), dodgy earth might be a single fault with multiple (minor) symptoms I guess?

Bump.

I have an after market stereo and a c2 aerial. Signal is w**k due to this setup. I'm not changing back to the normal aerial as it looks s**t, but was thinking of running an in-line booster to try and improve things. Has anyone else used one?

$(KGrHqVHJCsE+c0P83JpBQ(DiPs(EQ~~60_57.jpg

Thanks