ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porsche Track Day Pics

Immense day at Castle Combe today, some insanely fast cars lapping all day long. The GT3 things (i'm awful at identifying 911s, most look the same to me!) were probably the fastest road cars I've ever seen on the circuit.

Friendly bunch of people as well, considering how much money these people must have had between them they were very down to earth, great drivers too.

138252058-L.jpg

138252022-L.jpg

138252027-L.jpg

138252038-L.jpg

138252039-L.jpg

138256774-L.jpg

138256780-L.jpg

138251996-L.jpg

138252015-L.jpg

138252034-L.jpg

and I'm loving my new lens, nice sharp images at high res, car was doing 100mph+...

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/photos/138252026-O.jpg

Last edited:
  FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Yeah thats right chris, with the shaped headlights as opposed to the round retro ones of the 997.

Will you be going along to the action day, April 21st?

No white ones unfortunately, just a few in silver and black, can't remember seeing any white ones apart from the GT3. Yes I will be there on the 21st, then the Airfield the day after!

Have to admit I was reluctant to go at first as I've never "got" the 911 (or Porsche, for that matter), only went for some practice really.

However, seeing the GT3 take Quarry completely flat like it's the easiest corner in the world converted me instantly, stunning cars. The noise was something else as well.

Cracking pics, very sharp. You finding 200mm a touch to short yet?

I've always used up to 300mm until now but didn't really notice the drop in focal length as much as I expected. Only thing I can't do is get some nice head-on shots as I would need nearer 400mm for that, good thing is a 2x teleconvertor would still only take me down to f5.6 so I might try that next season once I've got to grips with what I have now.

I'm sure at full international-spec circuits with run-off and safety fences I would struggle, but Castle Combe certainly won't be a problem on todays evidence.

One thing I will say though, the price to pay for 200mm f2.8 is an unbelievibly heavy piece of glass...after I had held it for 6 hours solid and taken 800+ pics my arm was ready to fall off!

D

dick

what iso is that at, seems slightly noisy to me.

more than my 400d anyway.

what iso is that at, seems slightly noisy to me.

more than my 400d anyway.

ISO200, original image cropped approx 25%. It was very murky this morning so I did chuck them all through Elements to boost the colours and reduce the haziness a bit, probably didn't help in that respect.

D

dick

eek, when i had my 400d i had noise like that at 800 ish

took it back, as it was pissing me off.

eek, when i had my 400d i had noise like that at 800 ish

took it back, as it was pissing me off.

When do you notice it though? I've had huge prints made and they've been amazing. It's only when I view a file at 100% on a monitor that it's ever remotely noticeable, and I hardly ever do that.

106 GTi
Cracking pics, very sharp. You finding 200mm a touch to short yet?

I've always used up to 300mm until now but didn't really notice the drop in focal length as much as I expected. Only thing I can't do is get some nice head-on shots as I would need nearer 400mm for that, good thing is a 2x teleconvertor would still only take me down to f5.6 so I might try that next season once I've got to grips with what I have now.

I'm sure at full international-spec circuits with run-off and safety fences I would struggle, but Castle Combe certainly won't be a problem on todays evidence.

One thing I will say though, the price to pay for 200mm f2.8 is an unbelievibly heavy piece of glass...after I had held it for 6 hours solid and taken 800+ pics my arm was ready to fall off!

I bet it is a big old bit of kit.

Guess you just need to pick where you shoot from. Camp and Quarry apex with was to short at 200mm which is why I needed to add the 300mm prime.

Mazda MX5 1.8
Track days are free for spectators, it's just Race Days and Action Days that you have to pay at.

Do you know which cars are gonna be having a track day or is it pot luck?
or is there some website u can go on to view? cant seem to find it on castlecombe website :(

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/events.asp

That gives you a good idea, all the Club Days are free iirc (although I think the RS one costs a few quid), these are the weekend ones...

Saturday 24th March – Porsche Club Day
Saturday 14th April – Alfaholics Club Day
Saturday 28th April – Porsche Club Day
Saturday 26th May – Lotus Club Day
Saturday 7th July – RS Owners Club Day
Saturday 21st July – Car Track Day - Lancer Register
Saturday 11th August – VW/Audi Club Day
Saturday 18th August –BPMC
Saturday 29th September – Mini World Action Day
Saturday 20th October- BPMC Sprint
Saturday 3rd November – Porsche Club Day

(BPMC is the Bristol Pegasus Motor Club, usually a wide variety of cars including Nobles, Exiges, Caterhams etc)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
the 9th one down is a 993 Turbo (best Turbo IMO)

LAst of the air cooled bunch, ran from about 93 to 97.

The very first few were the fastest turbos around. Rumour is that Porsche ran a scheme for these first bunch where the customers could bring them back to be de tuned.

My dad had a 964 Turbo (previous model to the 993) and the company who did all his work said that the first few 993 Turbos were pretty much 4.0 secs dead to 60!