ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible electrical issues on my Clio mk2

Clio 1.6
Hi, just started having some problems with my mk2 1.6 clio.

About 2 days ago I had my cambelt, aux belt and water pump changed, not sure if its related in any sort but just throwing it out there.

On my way to home, I noticed an ABS light on my dash. The brakes felt fine, I stopped, turned the engine on and off and it went away. A couple of minutes later, the ABS and Airbag light came up again. Down the road the radio stopped playing and I lost power steering with the steering light popping up. The SERV light was on from the time the airbag light came up.

When I arrived home, I shut the car off, tried to turn it back on but nothing happend. When trying to turn it on all I hear is buzzing (possibly the immobilizer?) and a click. It has been raining the whole day and I'm thinking that the electronics could have somehow got wet and caused all of this? I'm going to let it dry off and try starting it back then. Until that, if anyone had a similar issue please let me know what you think could be the problem.

Clio 1.6
Update: Car started this morning but with hesitance. Now the STOP and Battery light are on, and the rest (abs, airbag etc) start turning on after some time. After I shut the car off, same thing as yesterday, a click and no start. Im assuming its the battery or the alternator not charghing it since I bought this battery in September and Ive driven the car almost daily, it basically had no time to discharge. If someone else knows what could be up, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.mp4
    20.5 MB
  • IMG_0448.mp4
    19 MB

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
Sorry to hear things are not working out, do you know what the battery and alternator voltage are? Alternator should be around 14v if memory serves - Not sure about battery, might be able to find out that info from the manual later if it's in there. Do you know what your engine code is for the 1.6?

Clio 1.6
@Green51 The battery voltage was fine, the issue was the alternator not charging the battery while driving, thus the loss of power steering, radio, electric windows etc since the battery itself couldn't run everything on it's own.

As far as I understood, the problem wasn't in the alternator itself, but in this piece. It's called a "regler" in German or generator in English if I'm not mistaken. Pretty inexpencive part, and the electrician said it was a common fault on these engines. So for anyone with similar issues, this could be your culprit.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
@Green51 The battery voltage was fine, the issue was the alternator not charging the battery while driving, thus the loss of power steering, radio, electric windows etc since the battery itself couldn't run everything on it's own.

As far as I understood, the problem wasn't in the alternator itself, but in this piece. It's called a "regler" in German or generator in English if I'm not mistaken. Pretty inexpencive part, and the electrician said it was a common fault on these engines. So for anyone with similar issues, this could be your culprit.

Glad to hear you got it sorted and thank you for updating with a solution if anyone else runs into this!