ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible end of the Decat ???

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Got Evo through post today and Hayward and Scott advert at back is pushing for a cat replacement pipe that is only 2bhp less than a decat but works like a cat. They state on their ad that from 2006 MOTs will be computerised so you cannot get past emmissions test.

Know my garage just ended up passing it even though inspector tehre on day failed it for emissions. Seeing as they passed it teh year before in same state they seem good like that.

Makes me worry though that things will change next year and may have to start putting the cat back on for that month of the year.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Yup just dont get caught for a road sides emission test by VOSA.

They will pester u for ur decat hehehe

Ph1
Has said:
Yup just dont get caught for a road sides emission test by VOSA.

They will pester u for ur decat hehehe

Will they not just issue a kind of producer to give you time to get it changed or is it a instant fine ??

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Andyman said:
Will they not just issue a kind of producer to give you time to get it changed or is it a instant fine ??

Roadside Emission Checks

How is the check carried out?

The test is carried out by inserting a probe into the exhaust pipe and measuring the emissions. The reading given by the test will indicate whether the levels comply with the MOT test standards. If the emissions levels do not comply with the requirements the driver of the car will be given a prohibition notice stopping use of the vehicle.

What do I do if I get a prohibition?

You may be cautioned at the roadside. The prohibition notice will explain what you must do to have it cleared. You will normally be required to have a full MOT test at full cost.

To enable continued compliance with environmental requirements, VOSA conduct exhaust emission checks in two ways. Firstly, VOSA Examiners carry out metered emission checks at the roadside and secondly certain classes of vehicles that are subject to an MOT Test will receive at least one visual (dependant on date of first use) check for a catalytic convertor.

A failure on exhaust emissions due to a missing catalytic converters will will be noted on the prohibition notice and will contain a Fixed Penalty.

172 cup'd extreme
At the moment the MOT tester does the test in the normal way then goes to the vosa computer puts his smartcard in and types his password, enters the cars details , the computer sends the info via a dial up modem to the vosa database and your mot is then valid so a friendly station can still pass your car for not having a cat. They are still working on getting the emmissions to send automaticly to the database. last i heard from the developers they cannot get it to work proper with the equipment there's no way it will work by next year i bet at least 3

Has said:
A failure on exhaust emissions due to a missing catalytic converters will will be noted on the prohibition notice and will contain a Fixed Penalty.
I think this has been the case for years - didn't put me off decatting my scooby. I'd guess that newer cars don't generally get pulled in for roadside checks.

I don't see how a roadside check could check visually for a decat pipe, unless they had ramp, spanners etc with them ;) . AFAIK you just get a rectification notice, refit your cat, then get an MOT cert.

Gareth