ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

possible Fuel / mileage / gauge issue

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
got a 05 182, i run the petrol down to just above red on the needle and the trip was saying 70 miles left.

went and filled up, got £29.56 in (32.5L) before the pump started clicking telling me the tank was full.

did a 220 miles trip and the trip comp was saying 120 miles left when i got home. woke up this morning started my car and the petrol light was on saying i was empty and the needle was in the place as shown on the below photo.

is this normal??

ive been told i should be able to get way more than £30 in my tank before it is full. i went and filled up again today and got £29 worth of fuel in again 32.5L

anyone else had this?

02032009039.jpg

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
32.5 litres put in,40 litre tanks? 7.5 litres left in tank for your 70miles on red/reserve?
dunno just trying to calculate,
my clio(only a 1.6)gives me 45 miles to the red.and would be about 35ish to fill when over the red/reserve.
what mpg can 182's get?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Sounds similar to mine TBH.
I don't think you have an issue there.
Mine when just filled says I've got about 400 miles worth in if I reset the trip computer and drive sensibly.
The thing to bear in mind is that the fuel guages aren't entirely accurate. For example, when mine's in the middle it still says I have about 250 miles left (assuming I haven't been thrashing it and reducing the MPG calculation).
If I leave it until the warning light comes on before I fill up, then put a tenners worth in (hard times and all that), it moves the needle up to about the same position yours is at in the picture above. It usually states I've got between 80 and 110 miles left at that point.
If I rag the knackers off my car during my day to day driving I get roughly 230 - 260 miles from a tank. I've got a Ph2 172.

BMW F21 125d
IMO your fuel light is coming on early, mine doesnt come on until the guage is reading onto the Red. And when it does come on, i generally have about 35 miles left, a couple of miles later i get the really useful ----, at this point i fill up, normally about 43/44 litres. Im 95% sure that Renault say that the fuel tank on the Clio is 50 litres.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Sounds similar to mine TBH.
I don't think you have an issue there.
Mine when just filled says I've got about 400 miles worth in if I reset the trip computer and drive sensibly.
The thing to bear in mind is that the fuel guages aren't entirely accurate. For example, when mine's in the middle it still says I have about 250 miles left (assuming I haven't been thrashing it and reducing the MPG calculation).
If I leave it until the warning light comes on before I fill up, then put a tenners worth in (hard times and all that), it moves the needle up to about the same position yours is at in the picture above. It usually states I've got between 80 and 110 miles left at that point.
If I rag the knackers off my car during my day to day driving I get roughly 230 - 260 miles from a tank. I've got a Ph2 172.

ok so its a 182 thing then!?

thanks for your responses guys

Clio 172
Doesnt sound like anything to worry about.Does anyones trip computer reset when it gets too cold at night?Had the problem over the winter but the engine starts fine just the computer resets?

Iceburg 172FF
Doesnt sound like anything to worry about.Does anyones trip computer reset when it gets too cold at night?Had the problem over the winter but the engine starts fine just the computer resets?

a few people had that, usually the battery.

your petrol light shouldnt be on with the needle at that position...

either the dial is knackered..

or the petrol sensor light thing is jiggered..

Chelsea tractor
Hold down the stalk button to make the dials dance, then one of the menus is to view the petrol left in the tank in litres isn't it?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I seem to have developed the same issue with mine. My fuel light came on tonight with the needle nowhere near the red like is usually should be.

Has anyone found out what this is due to?

182 FF
hmm, we've had a similar problem. set off out the other day, with about a quarter tank of fuel showing on the needle (which we knew was about right, based on what my other half had put in at the last fill up and subsequent miles covered) but the fuel light came on and we recall the computer saying about 50 miles left in tank. Reseting didn't work. Stopped at nearest garage, put £5 in and it went back to saying there was 150 or something in there (whatever it should have been plus the extra fiver) and the light went off.
Truly weird, but had been okay for couple of days after that. Filled up with £20 today (half a tank, according to needle, which is about right) and reset computer (as we do everytime we fill up) and it was counting up, counting down, then went down to 71 miles while my other half waited in supermarket carpark for me, then was going up mile by mile all the way home back to normal.
None of this sounds right to me, car is still under warranty with garage so we've flagged it with them, but any ideas?!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Mine takes £50 and light doesnt come on till on the red line.that doesnt look right to me....

Cliosport 182
Ive had the same issue on my '05 Clio 182 for several months, but now the computers mileage-left display has also permanently gone to display "---". I ignore the fuel gauge entirely now , Ive found that the quantity of fuel used on the computer is always right so I brim the tank and then refill when its around 9G used ( I havent run out of fuel yet and when i refill it always matches the fuel used display).

172 Cup
Should I be worried if mine isn't coming on when the needle touches the red line?

Ph2 Clio Cup.

Have people had problems with bulbs going????

Fiesta ST-2
Anyone solved this problem? Mines doing it got quarter of a tank and it says 50 miles left, checked the fuel I have 14 litres left, currently doing 36mpg. Doesn't add up!

In all fairness the guages and trip computer aren't exactly of NASA quality. I wouldn't be trusting what it's saying anyway.

Fill up, run it till empty, then fill up again and do some mathematics :)

Fiesta ST-2
I don't take it as gods law but somethings changed it wouldn't say 50 miles left untill it was in the red not at quarter of a tank

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Mine did this once and hasn't repeated it since. It was after i had done a trackday at Snetterton and it was the first time in ages that i'd filled it with a full tank.

Not sure whether either of these two things contributed to it tho.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Should be able to do 300 miles on a tank unless you do loads of town driving.

Regularly put £45 in mine.

Cliosport 182
For info :

I tried what Gumby suggested " Hold down the stalk button to make the dials dance, then one of the menus is to view the petrol left in the tank in litres isn't it?"
Since the dials danced its worked fine, on a full tank (about 40 litres) getting between 250 - 280 before the light comes on again.

Cheers.

Fabia vRS
I've been following these fuel/mpg/milage threads with quite some interest. As far as I'm aware my Ph2 172 shows all the standard innacuracy issues with regards to fuel economy - normally if the MPG reading says 35mpg the actual calculation I perform based on knowing how much fuel has been consumed is more like 30mpg.

There is one thing however that i've never managed to work out - The position fuel needle guage seems to vary depending on whether the car is on the flat or on a slope, I guess because the level of the fuel will move in the tank depending on your inclination. But, big but lol, the estimated range on the trip computer does not change regardless of whether the car is on a slope or not. So what is going on? The trip computer should only require two things two calculate the range, the average mpg and the measured fuel level of the tank.

|Did anyone get to the bottom of this problem?

mines exactly the same. sometimes the trip computer etc works fine but i can turn the ignition off (overnight or just for an hour sometimes) and when i go back to it, 1/4 of a tank is showing and the fuel light is on.

range is showing ---, instead of the 70 odd miles that it was,

and all the trip data has reset, mpg etc all back to 0.

I need to double check my battery but im sure its fine, just wondered if anyone else has found faults???

ive been to renault with this once already and its going back tomorrow when the belts are getting done.

Thanks

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
IMO your fuel light is coming on early, mine doesnt come on until the guage is reading onto the Red. And when it does come on, i generally have about 35 miles left, a couple of miles later i get the really useful ----, at this point i fill up, normally about 43/44 litres. Im 95% sure that Renault say that the fuel tank on the Clio is 50 litres.

Same as mine ^

Focus ST
I did a tun the other day... had 80m left in so brimmed it (£41.50)

did 320 mile and had 90 mile left in the range... average was around 41mpg :D

ph1 black 172
|Did anyone get to the bottom of this problem?

mines exactly the same. sometimes the trip computer etc works fine but i can turn the ignition off (overnight or just for an hour sometimes) and when i go back to it, 1/4 of a tank is showing and the fuel light is on.

range is showing ---, instead of the 70 odd miles that it was,

and all the trip data has reset, mpg etc all back to 0.

I need to double check my battery but im sure its fine, just wondered if anyone else has found faults???

ive been to renault with this once already and its going back tomorrow when the belts are getting done.

Thanks

i got this issue. im gonna put a new battery in mine as it only does it when its icy..

i would guess yours need a new battery as its not got the full amount of juice to hold the records while the engine is cranking.....