ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible guide: Respraying diamonds

As I was bored today, I decided to respray my front and back diamonds. Im getting my alloys refurbed soon too, so this was a good test to see if the colours would look good on the car. As the alloys will be refurbed in graphite grey, I sprayed both diamonds in this colour too :)

Ive posted it here because this is my first time spraying anything, so it seems a bit silly posting a guide on something Ive done once, but anyway the results came out good, so if the feedback is good and this thread is helpdul, then I'll post it up in the guides section.

Ok, firstly:

I first setup a 'spray shop' in a corner of a room (well ventilated!!)

Respray1.jpg

Tools:

Apart from the diamonds themselves, this was what I used:

Respray2.jpg

The front diamond in original state:

Respray3.jpg

Step One: Prep the diamond for priming.

The diamond was sanded down using P600, then P1200 sandpaper.

Respray4.jpg

Step Two: Priming the diamond.

The diamond was sprayed lightly with white primer:

Respray5.jpg

Step Three: Leave to dry.

The diamond was left to dry for 30mins:

Respray6.jpg

Step Four: Repeat previous two steps!

I chose to use two coats of primer, so as above :)

Step Five: Spray graphite.

Using the same technique for spraying the primer, I sprayed the diamond in ford graphite grey, and left to dry for 60mins:

Respray7.jpg

Step Six: Repeat step five! :)

Again, I chose to use two coats of colour. So I sprayed again, and left to dry for 60mins again.

Step Seven: Lacquer coat.

Once the graphite grey had dried nicely, I coated the diamond in a clear lacquer:

Respray8.jpg

Step Eight: Leave to dry.....

This is a photo of the diamond 60 mins after applying the clear lacquer. It looks the dogs! (in my opinion!)
This will now be left for a few hours, after which I will apply another coat, which will then be left for a few days to cure :)

Respray9.jpg

Well that's it!
It was a piece of piss to do, and I have no experience in doing this sort of thing!

Please feel free to post any constructive criticism, I am by no means an expert, but what I did here seemed to have worked well!

As I said, If at least one person finds it slightly helpful, I'll post it up in the guides section.
Cheers :)

Few marks on that boss!

The rear one is a pain in the arse to get off, someone should make a guide for that (I can't be bothered).

Yeh I couldnt be assed to touch up the scratches before I sprayed lol.

I just got the back one off earlier this evening, I followed a guide that is on here somethere. Tbh, it wasnt very hard at all. The only tricky bit is the fact that the rear diamond is plastic welded onto the boot!

Oh, and before anyone asks, the front diamond just pulls off using brute force!! :)

Clio
Looks like you've done a good job. i will be spraying my diamonds soon, so that was a help! cheers

AK

M240i
Looks good mate.

Anyone know how to get the front and back diamonds off a Mk3? Looking to spray mine white .. i think that would look good on the black clio?

Or anyone suggest another colour?

N/A Currently
Few marks on that boss!

The rear one is a pain in the arse to get off, someone should make a guide for that (I can't be bothered).

the rears fairly easy, except for 1 bolt, which is a right pain to get off, as theres metal in the way!

monaco blue 172 ..
might have been good idea to use plastic primer fella ... as you might find after a while it starts to flake/chip off
but looks the dogs ...

White Sti Hatch
Looks good mate.

Anyone know how to get the front and back diamonds off a Mk3? Looking to spray mine white .. i think that would look good on the black clio?

Or anyone suggest another colour?

rear just pops off with a screw driver, front is a bumper off job if you dont want to break it !!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Why didnt you sort the massive scratches out! lol. Looks a good job though :D Would probably do a couple more coats of laquer though.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Nice guide. I see you have a mark or scratch on the side of the diamond. You could have used filler primer, layer it up and sand it down to make it all smooth if you wanted it perfect. Nice colour though, think i'm going to do my wheels that colour :D

Yeh I was going to use primer etc to fill the scratch. But tbh, its not that bad now the spray has filled it in a bit :)

Im in the process of spraying my boot badges now, so all my badges will match the colour of my alloys when I get them refurbed :)

I'll post it up in the guides section now :)

Also, would it help people to have some photos of the badges removed? ie. what the badges look like and how they connect to the car? For example, having a photo of the front diamond would have helped loads in taking it off, as Iwasnt sure how it was clipped on.
If so, I'll add some photos too the guide when I post it up.