ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential 182 Owner

BG 182 FF
Hi All,

Im currently the not so proud owner of a MK4 R32 Golf in black and looking to get myself in a 182 instead within the next 3-7 months, a bit sick of the sub 14 miles to the gallon spirited drives and the stupidly expensive replacement parts for a Volkswagen (£200+ for a set of front discs - not even OEM).

I understand that they're completely different cars, but wanting to move out of my parents house and save money but still have something with flair and panache the 182 seems like the best option.

I understand some of the questions I may ask will be asked regularly or be laughable, but please bare with me I'm delving into uncharted waters as I've never owned a Renault.

Whats the difference between a normal 182 Renaultsport and a Cup?
What are they like in the wet? I've heard some horror stories that they drive like a pig when it gets damp?
What are the most common mods to have been done to these and anything really in particular I need to look out for. Are they usually enthusiast owned like the R32 or just bought by Boy Racers wanting something fun to drive?
What is the paint like to detail, first thing I'd be doing would be sticking it in my unit and getting the Machine Polisher on it. (my sister has a 1.2 clio in the same shape in red and its gone slightly pinky but try as I might it wouldn't go blood red again with hard cut and hard cutting pad)
How easy are they to work on on the driveway and what are spares parts like to come by?

Cheers, James

Can't remember the differences on the 182's. On the 172 it's a more poverty/lightened spec. Mines fine in the wet, the little 16's do spin up quick though, just watch out for lift off oversteer in the wet if you being frisky. Most common mods are lowered, induction kit, RS remap, pads and discs and aftermarket steering wheels. Need to check the cambelt history and the de phaser pulley as these are common and expensive service items. Crunchy gearbox, they're not too keen on fast gear changes and massive launches off the line but if you have some mechanical empathy they'll last ages. Normally bought by petrol heads seen a few that have been boy raced but not that often. The French car scene is pretty big and full of friendly guys and gals. They are ridiculously cheap to maintain and run and this forum is a brilliant pool of info and a good place to find spares. Paint on the RS models is as good as I've seen so shouldn't be a problem detailing. Hope this helps.