ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential buyer advice

21 Turbo
Hey up,

I've recently sold my M3, never got used and when it did, it broke down lol

I have free regular accesss to company diesels, Skoda Superbs or VW Sharans so whatever I buy wont be a daily.

I started my search looking at the Clio or Civic Type R but wanted a facelift version of the Civic, all the Civics I found that weren't crazy prices were Cat D's or even Cat C lol

So I turned back to the Clio, I love a Renault, I went on a road trip with the 21 Turbo lads to Lake District last August and my M3 came away red faced at the hands of a stripped out 172 (LeeJSA on here), I drove home from Lakes telling myself I need a Clio Wasp, straight lines weren't an issue, the twists however, were lol

I notice a lot of people talk about the ph1 and the 172Cup as if they are Renaults
answer to the Ariel Atom......whats the score?

I've got max £4k to spend, would rather keep it lower as the missus wants a kitchen.....

Advise and point gents, just bear in mind I've never driven any variant of Clio!

Lee

renault 172
Hey up,

I've recently sold my M3, never got used and when it did, it broke down lol

I have free regular accesss to company diesels, Skoda Superbs or VW Sharans so whatever I buy wont be a daily.

I started my search looking at the Clio or Civic Type R but wanted a facelift version of the Civic, all the Civics I found that weren't crazy prices were Cat D's or even Cat C lol

So I turned back to the Clio, I love a Renault, I went on a road trip with the 21 Turbo lads to Lake District last August and my M3 came away red faced at the hands of a stripped out 172 (LeeJSA on here), I drove home from Lakes telling myself I need a Clio Wasp, straight lines weren't an issue, the twists however, were lol

I notice a lot of people talk about the ph1 and the 172Cup as if they are Renaults
answer to the Ariel Atom......whats the score?

I've got max £4k to spend, would rather keep it lower as the missus wants a kitchen.....

Advise and point gents, just bear in mind I've never driven any variant of Clio!

Lee

well ive just got rid off a scoob for a 172 its like a go kart compared to the latter i paid 4k for mine 53 plate one owner 50k about 600 overpriced but the mileage was right good luck with your purchase

Westy. MX5
Firstly you want to have a drive of a couple of Clios to see if its the type of car you want. Try a PH1 172 and a Cup 172, they will be in your price range. A really good one can be had for £4k.
Remember it's French, lots of foibles, just have a look around the Forum.
Plenty of advice coming up from others I guess.

BG 182
I think you could just push for a 182 with that money. For 3G you could get a mint phase 1 - 172 or a little more would see you a phase 2. I was real lucky with mine and got inf in good condition, but I was fussy and only went for a 182 due to the exhaust issue I don't like as much on the 172's. Test drive a few before making up your mind but maybe a phase 2 cup would suit your needs?

21 Turbo
Cheers for replies so far, I've realised what my money will buy and what to look for, just wondered why the ph1 and 172 Cup gets so much praise.....

Stripped yozza'd cup
172 cups are the greatest car on the road. fact. :rasp:

But seriously, The phase1 gets a lot of talk because of the cable throttle, makes the driving experience a bit more involving. The cup, because it's the only 'proper' effort that Renault have made at lightening an RS car.... A whole lot better to drive than the 182's I test drove (but they may have been bad examples) and the wheels are the most sought after of any RS car.

Where abouts do you live? If you're local to me, I'll happily take you out in mine.

I may be biased, but if i was looking for a clio for weekend fun, I'd buy a cup again, no question.

21 Turbo
Great stuff, that was going to be my next thread 'anyone want to show me what they're all about' lol

I'm up the road in Sutton mate, there's a used dealer in Gatwick with several Clios in stock, was gonna pop in and try one. I'll come to you for a passenger demo tho ;-)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
172 cups are the greatest car on the road. fact. :rasp:

But seriously, The phase1 gets a lot of talk because of the cable throttle, makes the driving experience a bit more involving. The cup, because it's the only 'proper' effort that Renault have made at lightening an RS car.... A whole lot better to drive than the 182's I test drove (but they may have been bad examples) and the wheels are the most sought after of any RS car.

Where abouts do you live? If you're local to me, I'll happily take you out in mine.

I may be biased, but if i was looking for a clio for weekend fun, I'd buy a cup again, no question.

The R26R was just a dream then lol:rolleyes:

Stripped yozza'd cup
Great stuff, that was going to be my next thread 'anyone want to show me what they're all about' lol

I'm up the road in Sutton mate, there's a used dealer in Gatwick with several Clios in stock, was gonna pop in and try one. I'll come to you for a passenger demo tho ;-)

Avoid the dealer in Gatwick mate. I've driven two of his RS Clio's, they were both complete shitters. He'll only give you a test drive if you verbally commit to buying a car.
Plus, I've heard a few stories about chop-shopped cars that he's sold etc. Not worth the hassle.

Well you're pretty close to me then! Come to the meet in lakeside on the 13th, then you can have a look at lots of different cars. You're welcome to pop down any time and I'll take you for a drive.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
my M3 came away red faced at the hands of a stripped out 172 (LeeJSA on here), I drove home from Lakes telling myself I need a Clio Wasp, straight lines weren't an issue, the twists however, were lol

I assume you M3 was broken at the time? Never really had any issue keeping up with 1*2's in my 328i Sport, & my Z3M would tear one a new ar52hole lol, corners or no corners. Might i suggest driving lessons are a priority ;)

In all seriousness though, £4k will get you pretty much any clio these days, even a Trophy if you look hard enough. For me, a 182 with both cup packs is an excellent daily, or if mainly for track, a 172 cup is all you could ever need.

Hope that helps :)

M3 SMG
I agree with SIr Dave, My E46 M3 felt like the tyres where physically bonded to the ashphalt and could corner as silly speeds!

Clio is great fun, just as much fun as an M3 infact. Looking to sell mine now and ive noticed a fair few 182s for £4k!

Impreza Wagon
You'll easily pick up a 182 for 4k. Just make sure you drive a few so you get a feel for them. I was looking at a CTR or 182 and I'm glad I went for the 182, you get a lot more for your money!

21 Turbo
I assume you M3 was broken at the time? Never really had any issue keeping up with 1*2's in my 328i Sport, & my Z3M would tear one a new ar52hole lol, corners or no corners. Might i suggest driving lessons are a priority ;)

In all seriousness though, £4k will get you pretty much any clio these days, even a Trophy if you look hard enough. For me, a 182 with both cup packs is an excellent daily, or if mainly for track, a 172 cup is all you could ever need.

Hope that helps :)

LOL@driving lessons, Senna I may not be but I do understand power to weight and a literally gutted, corner weighted, de-catted etc, well fettled Clio weighing sub 1000kg would & should in my opinion hold its own against a wallowing, very much FULL FAT E36 M3 (giving away potentially 500kg). No 2 drivers are equal and he has a lot more track experience than me but his entry and exit speeds were far greater than mine, it was like watching a Scalextric car with 4 magnets underneath it lol
Neither of us knew the roads, in a straight line there really wasnt an issue but there really was when it got twisty.

Anyway I digress, the Trophy does appeal, Ive been fed plenty horror stories about the front legs though. Things like they need to be rebuilt every 6 months etc which Im sure is all ballix
There will be time I wont have a comp vehicle if they are all leased and I just dont know if I can live with the 106 Zest-esque interior of the 172 Cup ;-)

Thanks Jack, I'll avoid him (the one in Ifield) I honestly wouldnt be buying from a used dealer in any case, all overpriced tat from most of em....was just going to arrange a test drive as he's closest I can find. I'll PM on here regarding a blat down the 272 ;-)

21 Turbo
You'll easily pick up a 182 for 4k. Just make sure you drive a few so you get a feel for them. I was looking at a CTR or 182 and I'm glad I went for the 182, you get a lot more for your money!

Thank you for that, I do keep alternating my searches......trouble with the Civic is it looks like my Mother in Laws 1.4 Corolla lol

Stripped yozza'd cup
You said only proper effort at lightening an RS car. Nothing about just Clio...

Touche salesman.

VFM, the clio has the CTR licked, they're very expensive compared to the RS.
The cup interior is a bit poor, but get the dash flocked and buy some buckets and you're laughing.... not an issue really if it's just a weekend toy.