ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Caps, Worth it

Are Power Caps worth getting? Will it really save my battery from going dead. Im running quite abit from battery so im wondering whether to get 1, i would after be either Audiobahn or Voodoo to go with install and their quite expensive so i need to find out if its really worth it??

Cheers

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by clairesclio on 19 April 2005
no not worth it at all

ditto.

if you really are pulling loads from the batt you may want to think of a split charge

silver valver/hybrid

saying that how much current do u recon is too much for one standard battery/alternator to cope with?

Polo + Micra

well im going to be pulling a bit (JL 1000/1) if i added another amp i would look into getting a split charge

a cap is no use while running off bat it only stops the amps pulling too much power while engine is running and making the lights dim and loosing you power etc etc

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 19 April 2005
a cap is no use while running off bat it only stops the amps pulling too much power while engine is running and making the lights dim and loosing you power etc etc

in english:p

caps dont work.

BMW 320d Sport

Mine worked. Well it did what I wanted it to which was to stop the lights dimming. Had my alternator rebuilt, ran a 4 gauge cable directly to the boot from the battery, straight to the 1.5 farad cap, then onwards to a pair of amps. Worked very well. No dimming, no struggling for power, which it used to before. So in my experience it works. I only paid £20 for it off ebay though. I wouldnt have paid over a hundred I dont think.

Polo + Micra

ive had one in the past before i actually read up on the theory behind them.

so i took it out and found that my lights dimmed less when it was removed.

so i still think the big three and the biggest batt you can fit under the bonnet is still better

silver valver/hybrid

thats what im going to do, well ive upgraded the main earth lead to the chassis, plus changed the rubbish standard renault batt connectors, gonna do the rest of the big three then get a nice juicy battery, just got a £27 jobbie in there at the mo. ive just got 2 amps one monoblock (1000w rms) and a 4 channel running the comps (100w rms) so i aint really got a huge amount of power but the lights do dim quite badly:cry:

Rb 182

I just bought one as well (thanks Andyrg) and i got mines just to stop the lights from dimming. Only paid £20 so it should (hopefully) help. Will find out after fitting tommorrow.

Dave

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 19 April 2005
Mine worked. Well it did what I wanted it to which was to stop the lights dimming. Had my alternator rebuilt, ran a 4 gauge cable directly to the boot from the battery, straight to the 1.5 farad cap, then onwards to a pair of amps. Worked very well. No dimming, no struggling for power, which it used to before. So in my experience it works. I only paid £20 for it off ebay though. I wouldnt have paid over a hundred I dont think.

like i said nick works to stop lights dimming but does nothing on battery as basically a battery is just a huge capacitor

Cheers guys, sounds like im not getting one!!!

Got a uprated Bosch Battery, not sure about the model or spec!!1

What split charge??

white 197 CUP

my lights in my car dim like a mo fo and i only have a 600w amp a 1000w 600rms sub and a pair of 6x9 at 300w would you expect it from that?

i think its gona be a ye what would people recomend to stop it, + im concidering getting another sub and changeing all the components !

[Edited by durdzzz on 19 April 2005 at 10:15pm]

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 19 April 2005
like i said nick works to stop lights dimming but does nothing on battery as basically a battery is just a huge capacitor

remember there is a massive difference between a cap and a battery.

cap stores electricity (about 200 joules for a 1F cap)

and a battery stores chemicals that are able to produce electricity( about 5 million joules)